Virgin 57's which is the correct color

Started by Snowwolflair, July 01, 2018, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Farish Scott Tracy and Jeff Tracy, Virgin 57's which is the correct color of red?

I have only ever known one red to be used for virgin stock. Whether it be for post 1997 or 2001 stock. Post 2001 being Class 57, Voyager and Pendo. This being Phoenix P215 Virgin Flame Red.

Other colours

P148 Warning Panel Yellow (Post 85)
P299 Virgin Trains Silver (Voyagers only IIRC)
P300 Virgin Grey (New 2001)

P299 and P300 confuse me, as I thought the greys / silvers were all the same whether it be class 57, Voyager or Pendo?

These are enamel colours, I'm stumped on acrylic as I don't use them, but as they have only ever used one red, Railmatch or Humbrol acrylic's may also do the job.

Hope this helps...

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

Snowwolflair

I agree with this but the two Farish models have a different red.  Hence which one is correct?

njee20

Colour doesn't scale, as you'll well know. So whichever you think looks right! Not least the 'right' colour is gloss, but that looks wrong anyway.

njee20

That still doesn't tell you which of the Farish models is "right", but I still say that's moot given how different colours look on models, and in different light conditions. Neither looks particularly wrong IMO, although I admit I've never seen them side by side.

Snowwolflair

njee20

Top one, all day long, something weird with the bottom one, they're not normally that dark! Unless the lighting is very weird.

Fardap

Top image seems to be under yellowish lighting looking at the white stripes... still seems a long way apart though...

need a side by side under same lighting to be sure?

Google search for both named models shows the upper red version not the 'maroon' lower one

Karhedron

The top one looks better to me but colour perception varies hugely depending on lighting. The pics of the 2 Farish models are lit very differently and the variation may not be so pronounced when the models are side by side.

Just for comparison, here are 2 shots of the real thing which I am pretty sure are really the same colour. However due to the lighting, the top image appears to match the first Farish loco while the second matches the lower one.

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them!" - Obi-wan Kenobi ;)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

njee20

Yes, it's definitely much brighter than the second one appears, but I suspect it's the appearance rather than anything else.

Why are you asking? If you're wanting to colour match a Virgin item then you want a more vibrant colour certainly. Phoenix's virgin red is good, not entirely dissimilar to DBS red.

PLD

Quote from: Snowwolflair on July 04, 2018, 10:55:58 AM

Can we re-title the thread "which of these photos was taken by someone who has no idea how to adjust the settings on his camera for different light conditions."

If you look at photos taken in the same lighting conditions the two models look the same shade to me...

e.g.
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-650_12456_Qty1_RULER.jpg
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-650A_3214637_Qty1_ruler1.jpg

Snowwolflair

Having seen both together in the same lighting there is a significant difference.  The later model has a lot more Blue in the Red giving making it a Blood Gore color not a bright red.

red_death

I agree with Snowwolflair that there is definitely a difference in the two shades on the Farish 57.  I thought the latest version (with the Dellner) was the wrong colour personally.

Cheers, Mike

njee20

I certainly agree on the above, based on those photos (and Mike's recollection) the dellner-fitter one is too dark. I did have one and don't remember it being that dark though. Perhaps they changed a batch.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations