Spelling

Started by MinZaPint, April 13, 2012, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bikeracer

Did Americans start the trend for saying anything made of aluminium was made of billet thus investing higher value and magical strength properties in it at the same time?

There's no such grade as billet aluminium except as it comes from the smelter ready for rolling or extruding AFAIK

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

MinZaPint

Quote from: Tank on April 13, 2012, 09:12:35 PM
No spellchecker I'm afraid. 

Personally, I have an 'add-on' on my browser which spell checks for me.  Let me know what browser you have and I'll help you add one onto your browser if you like?

Thanks Tank I'll cope, remark made a little tounge in cheek, I took up crosswords in the hope that I would get the hang of It!  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Adam1701D

Be careful with the Chrome spelling checker...for "Bachmann", it suggested "Eichmann". ;D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Greybeema

Just remember:-

"Dyslexia lures KO!"

I kinda, sorta think uz all get the gist of wot I'm on 'bout....

Well most of the time....
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

longbridge

Did someone say the English language was different in the USA

Well cobber I spent the whole day in the ute chasing sheila's around the scrub and thats fairdinkum.

Sadly we have all but lost our unique Oz slang with most using NZ and US language.

We don't use the word Area anymore it is now called a Precinct, sounds like something out of a US cop show.

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Mustermark

That is shocking Dave... I thought Aussie's had more national pride and identity than to let that happen!!!  That is sad.  And not fairdinkum at all.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

longbridge

Quote from: Mustermark on April 16, 2012, 01:54:44 AM
That is shocking Dave... I thought Aussie's had more national pride and identity than to let that happen!!!  That is sad.  And not fairdinkum at all.

Yes its just about gone Mark, sadly there is no Middle Class in Oz anymore so the Upper Class don't want to sound Aussie and most of the Lower Class couldn't care less, they are either to busy trying to get by each day or in the case of the young trying to talk like famous rappers, Yuk.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

scotsoft

Quote from: Sprintex on April 15, 2012, 02:09:42 PM
It winds my misses up every time she has to write Technical Bulletins for Boeing bearing in mind they're made of "aluminum", not aluminium  :smiley-laughing:
Paul

As well as the above I also cringe when I hear, usually on You Tube, Americans saying they are going to sodder instead of solder  >:(

Mustermark

Quote from: Sprintex on April 15, 2012, 02:09:42 PM
It winds my misses up every time she has to write Technical Bulletins for Boeing bearing in mind they're made of "aluminum", not aluminium  :smiley-laughing:

Interestingly, aluminum or even alumium were the original names coined by Humphrey Davy. But it was later standardized to aluminium to match things like magnesium (and not platinum). The Americans later reverted back to the original.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Joe 90

And to put the cat amongst the pigeons.............Do the spellcheckers handle the misuse of the apostrophe?

(Hard hat on and head down!) ;)

Sprintex

No-one misuse's apostrophe's do they?? Thats' terrible new's if its' true ;D

Paul

Newportnobby

Quote from: Sprintex on April 16, 2012, 05:38:09 PM

Paul

Oh s'top it ::)

Joe 90

........I'll get me coat............ :smiley-laughing:

jonclox

Paul
Whats an apostrophee ! ?
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Malc

Paul

Greengrocers' delight.....apple's. Pear's etc.  I lost count of how many examples I have seen. You would think that the companies who do the sign work would have some idea where to shove it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations