Photobucket - warning 3rd party linking isn't no longer supported

Started by Maurits71, June 30, 2017, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Thanks for the link Only Me.

I'll sign up straight away for the 500Gb plan.

Then I'll go and set fire to some more excess money. :D

I'm sure someone somewhere will think it a worthwhile service they are peddling, but for some reason I have a song in my head:

"I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all..."

- and I don't want to. :no:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Tom U

There is no cloud:  It is just someone else's computer somewhere else.  ;)

ntpntpntp

I see this is now a BBC News article. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

So it's screwed up people's amazon and eBay listings, lots of forums and all sorts of stuff.       Er... I think Photobucket is not long for this world if they don't reverse this, quite frankly it's a PR disaster. 

I don't use PB or any other photo hosting site, never have done.  Youtube and Facebook have a few of my vids and photos, but nothing for which I don't have a master copy at home.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ScottishModeller

Quote from: escafeld on July 04, 2017, 07:52:19 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 04, 2017, 04:33:19 PM
Er... I think Photobucket is not long for this world if they don't reverse this, quite frankly it's a PR disaster. 

But they may not have been around much longer if they didn't change there policy. For free accounts they rely on advertising revenue, if that doesn't cover the costs then the service wouldn't exist. If free users are mainly using the service for image linking then no adverts will be displayed and Photobucket will get no revenue but will incur the costs of hosting.

From a PR perspective they could have handled it much better and not just tell there free users that the t&c's are changing without specifically stating this change was going to happen
Hi all,

I had a Photobucket account - until last night when I removed all the photos and deleted the account.

Why?

I have been asking questions since the first time that Photobucket notified me that I would need to change the account type and pay them for hosting my photos.

The response I got worried me as they said I was using Photobucket as a hosting point for photos used in websites and forum.

As far as I am aware, this has never been the case. Checking back shows that I have only ever used the link method to my photos.

They disputed this and hence my decision to delete my account with them.

At no point have I had a straight answer to my questions and challenges.

My own thoughts are that they saw I was at the limit for Free Storage and decided to try and make me pay them.

Thanks
Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

port perran

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 02, 2017, 09:17:12 PM
Quote from: port perran on July 02, 2017, 09:02:01 PM
If I want to add a photo now, what should I do now please?
Use a different photo hosting site,  host it on your own web pages (I do that for a few things for other sites) or upload it to this forum using the "Add image to post and upload to gallery" link right above the text window where I'm typing this reply, and add as a random photo.  That's what I do for all the photos I've posted on this forum so far.

Sorry to be thick about this but I follow what you are saying. Only problem is ......where does the photograph go?
Apparently not into a post unless I'm doing something wrong?
Ive done everything as you have but when I press the add picture button it tells me I have made an error
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

port perran

Yes Ive done that but the  picture does not appear in the post.

mattycoops43

Yes, I tried this out the other day. It works fine, you just need to add the info as stated.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: port perran on July 10, 2017, 09:09:11 PM
....where does the photograph go?
Apparently not into a post unless I'm doing something wrong?
Ive done everything as you have but when I press the add picture button it tells me I have made an error
What error do you get?
When I use this method, the result is a url tag containing an img tag is added to the text box with the link to the photo you've just added.  If you preview your post you get to see the photo.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Ian Bowden

Anyone use western digital mycloud. It is a physical device you buy that is connected to the internet. I have used the private section but there is a public folder I will experiment with when I get the time, basically it is a 2 to 4 tera byte NAS drive accessible from anywhere

port perran

Will this work ?

Yes indeedy ! 
In my old age the problem was that I was trying to do this from an ipad. It seems I must revert to my old slow laptop.
Anyway, hope you enjoy the picture and thanks to those who helped sort this out.

daffy

Glad you managed to post a photo PP, though I have no difficulties using my iPad to do so here (it's the only device I use for the Forum) so it's not an old age problem. :D

Maybe someone more savvy than me on the Settings front might be able to shed some light.

Nice pic BTW. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

Quote from: daffy on July 11, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
Glad you managed to post a photo PP, though I have no difficulties using my iPad to do so here (it's the only device I use for the Forum) so it's not an old age problem. :D

Maybe someone more savvy than me on the Settings front might be able to shed some light.

Nice pic BTW. :thumbsup:
Ah thanks Daffy. Works fine from the laptop but I cannot get it to work via the ipad.
Any ideas anyone?
Glad you like the photo. It's a test train at Redruth(travelling to Penzance and return from London) a couple of weeks ago.
A fine looking machine.

Yet_Another

Just done this from my ipad:

This has been uploaded to my user gallery, but otherwise, apart from selecting the picture from the camera roll, there wasn't much to do.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

port perran

Just managed this (nothing to do with railways) from my iphone so there must be a settings issue on my ipad which I'll check out.
Thanks for all the help

port perran

This now seems to work ok.
Thank you.
Sorry for messing about with random photos!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations