swapping bodies

Started by bluedepot, May 28, 2011, 10:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

does anyone just swap bodies over every so often for a change of livery?

this would appear to be a cheaper way to have some variation of livery for the same class of loco...

are there any down sides to this idea or has anyone else tried it?

tim

EtchedPixels

For the older Farish diesels it works a treat. Not sure it work so easily with some of the kettles.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

bluedepot

yeh steam may be harder...

i'm thinking i could do it for some diesels though, i have new china made farish ones (for example, i have 2 class 47s already in blue and res, so i could just buy a large logo or intercity body to change over every so often... would be a lot cheaper than buying complete new locos, only downside is that they can't all park up next to each other...)

on a seperate but related point, can you buy easy to construct dummy chassis anywhere?

cheers

tim

upnick

Hi  Tim,  

I have made dummy locos  using  a life like dummy unit  for the chassis as here they where about a fiver each  new boxed, plus the cost of the loco bodies, LED'S,bit of wire &  brass/ plastic.  

They arent hard  to  cut in two  & make the apropriate length  with plasticard strengtheners which  also  form  a centre box with contacts for a 12v  battery  or  of course the  wheels can be used as a pick  up  for the LED's from the track power the  ones here where finished diferently than  in the images.  

The bogies/trucks of course are fine for  class 37's as here  but  for other 2 axle  locos would  need some surgery.

MJKERR

Quote from: bluedepot on May 28, 2011, 10:49:19 PMi could do it for some diesels though, i have new china made farish ones (for example, i have 2 class 47s already in blue and res, so i could just buy a large logo or intercity body to change over every so often... would be a lot cheaper than buying complete new locos, only downside is that they can't all park up next to each other
I have a depot to fill so want as many working locos with bodies as possible!

You need to be careful on this as not all bodies can be swapped (without modification, see below)

The only one I can find, so far, is :
Class 37 Poole body + latest BachFar DCC version (the body rests loose but is acceptable)

The early BachFar and latest BachFar DCC Class 37 and 47 cannot be swapped either, the locating strips are in different positions, and on the Class 37 the body is a different length so won't even fit on
However, as with all previous versions, removing the locating strips inside the bodyshell would allow this, but thereafter the body will no longer be solid and will rest loose

I had an old Poole Class 37 chassis that failed completely
Rather than spending £20 getting it repaired (which is pretty pointless with DCC conversions), I sold it, bought a BachFar DCC version and sold that body too

Quote from: bluedepot on May 28, 2011, 10:49:19 PMcan you buy easy to construct dummy chassis anywhere?
Ian Stoate does some dummy chassis, I don't have any myself, but the dummy Class 20 and 37 make sense

EtchedPixels

The 37 chassis is ok for the older bodies (Poole and original Bachmann/Farish), the 20 one the fuel tank was very wide and fouled the platforms and stuff.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations