Thompson full brake

Started by geofff, January 18, 2022, 10:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello

Just noticed on Ebay that a Thompson Full Brake is for auction. The model is released by the N gauge Society. Does anyone know if it is possible to acquire this model ( except  on EBay)?

Regards

tunneroner61

Just join the NGS and you can buy one for just £24, but not all liveries are still available. Have a look here https://www.ngsjoin.com/thompson-bg-full-brake-8065-p.asp

You can't go wrong joining the NGS. Lots more stuff to buy especially if you like making kits.

Steven B

The only version that's out of stock at the NGS Shop is the lined maroon one.

If you can wait, being made by Bachmann/Farish the model will join the main Farish range in a year or two(*) so you might be able to get one from a model shop by the end of the decade!

(*) I understand that Bachmann/Farish do exclusive models on the agreement that Bachmann own the tooling, and after a period of 2-3 years the model joins their normal range. It's certainly been the case with the former NGS Queen Mary & Inspection Saloon (and several OO Gauge models). 

You can expect the Mk1 Carflat to be available too. That said, with price rises I'd expect buying models direct from the NGS (even if getting membership especially) will save a few quid - especially if buying more than one.

Steven B.

geofff

Thanks for your replies. I thought that this was the N Gauge Society website.

You're correct, I should and will join the Society.

Regards

Geoff

tunneroner61

Taking up Steven Bs point about savings, the ex LMS inspection saloon is still available (not all liveries though) from the NGS at £23 https://www.ngsjoin.com/lms-50ft-inspection-saloon-892-p.asp. Rails are advertising the LMS crimson one at £36 and preorders of reruns at £42.45. You've got your NGS subs back there!!!!

geofff

"If you can wait, being made by Bachmann/Farish the model will join the main Farish range in a year or two(*) so you might be able to get one from a model shop by the end of the decade"

I'm 72 now - so I don't think I'll put that on my bucket list.

Regards

Newportnobby

I bought 2 from the NGS when they were introduced so have saved myself a heap of dosh compared to Rails/Farish. I do tend to buy stock on introduction and, taking RevolutioN's 'early bird' pricing as a prime example have saved a lot of money - for other models of course.
Joining the NGS is worth the price just for the journal if nothing else.

longbow

The NGS price reflects the much lower production costs of 6 or 7 years ago. A re-run by Farish would cost way more - their Mk1s now retail at GBP43.

Ben A

Quote from: longbow on January 19, 2022, 10:07:51 PM
The NGS price reflects the much lower production costs of 6 or 7 years ago. A re-run by Farish would cost way more - their Mk1s now retail at GBP43.

Hi there,

A rerun by Farish would certainly cost more, but that isn't just due to rising production costs.  The Farish price also includes their standard retailer margin.

The NGS prices its models with a significantly lower margin as a benefit to members.

cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations