Craziest N Gauge RTR Models

Started by Adam1701D, January 28, 2011, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Wasn't the worlds first public electric railway the Volks Electric in Brighton?  ???  1890's?

D306Whistler

Sorry mate, I didn't know they even existed. In addition to my last post, I meant to say that "the rest was mainly steam" but I missed "mainly" out which I kind of made a fool of myself there by advertising my own ignorance :-[, but ah well we are only human! ;).
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

poliss

The only reason I know about them is because I spend far too much time on the interweb.  ;D

Dock Shunter

Quote from: BROADTRAIN1979 on February 17, 2011, 06:21:24 PM
I dressed up as a deltic the other day while line dancing in tescos 8) got a great audience and the police turned up but, it was the wife who said dont stand so close to me ;) ;D ;D :NGF:

:smiley-laughing: ;D ;D :thumbsup:

D306Whistler

One of my favourite songs from the 80's ;). You cannot beat the legendary songs as most of the modern rubbish is not worth listening to.
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

quinntopia

From an American perspective, we see similar experiences as cited above in the Lima shunter in BR colors quite a bit (or used to as it may be).

There's this Lima D.341 in New Haven colors which, is actually, kind of cool. Although the price (and the current exchange rate of the USD to the Euro) make it far too pricey as a novelty:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIMA-206-E-Look-FIAT-D341-BO-BO-NEW-HEAVEN-USA-SCALA-N-/230489228353?pt=Modellismo_Dinamico&hash=item35aa3a8441
My other 'favorites' are the Minitrix U30CG - which although only ordered and run by the Sante Fe, appear in the liveries of both the Pennsylvania and Burlington Northern!  Well, at least its from the right country!

haeckmaen

If the Lima New Haven loco is too pricey, how about this masterpiece of Eastern European N gauge:

http://www.litomysky.cz/n/imm/Dscn1273s.JPG

It's actually the only slovakian N gauge RTR model ever and was produced by Piko of former Eastern Germany from about 1970 to 1985. The true beauty of this construction results from squeezing a main line diesel chassis under a shunter's body.

If you're ever to Berlin just enter an average model railway second hand shop and you'll get this one at about a tenner or so.

quinntopia

QuoteIt's actually the only slovakian N gauge RTR model ever and was produced by Piko of former Eastern Germany from about 1970 to 1985. The true beauty of this construction results from squeezing a main line diesel chassis under a shunter's body.

If you're ever to Berlin just enter an average model railway second hand shop and you'll get this one at about a tenner or so.

I've noticed this strange looking beast before!  Actually, they're seem to be several unusual Piko trains that I'd almost be interested in having since they are so unusual!  There's a stream lined diesel loc that is quite strange looking, but alas, seems to go for about 50 on the eBay which is too much just for a 'novelty'.

haeckmaen

I agree Piko is quite an interesting field for a collection especially due to strange choice of prototypes. This was mainly the result of having no financial support for the construction of new chassis so all diesel and electro bodies were squeezed on the two or three existing ones.

Another favourite of mine according to weird models is the soviet Co'Co' electro with its really strange cab design.

See the entire collection here: http://www.piko-n.com/frame_all.htm

If you're interested in starting a collection you should consider german ebay I promise most will not go for more than 20 and by no means any diesel or electro (but possibly some steamers, several versions are quite rare) will go for 50.
http://modellbau.shop.ebay.de/Piko-/30662/i.html

Of note is after not being into N gauge for more than 20 years Piko just at re-introducing a range of modern N gauge locos which will of course be of completely different construction and up to standards. http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=warengruppe&vw_view=detail&vw_id=272&page=0

Lawrence

quinntopia

haeckmaen - Thanks for the links! Really interesting site.  YES, that CCCP locomotive was the 'strange beast' I was thinking of above!  Very unusual!   There's a 'nostalgia' part of me that finds this old, East German Piko era somewhat fascinating.  It really would be an interesting area to collect.  It would also be interesting to see if I can afford any more additional sources of 'funding'!  :smiley-laughing:

Also, I have one of the new Piko products.  I got the SNCF "Sybic" loco.  Its really, really well done as you say!  I think its a great sign that they are returning to N after 20 years!

Vulcan

Graham Farish's Deltic Prototype is the most ilogical RTR model in my view. All new tooling for a model they can only do in one livery and with one identity. I'm not complaining, like, Its a beautiful model.
Cheers,

David

Sailor Charon

Quote from: Vulcan on April 06, 2011, 10:40:03 PM
Graham Farish's Deltic Prototype is the most ilogical RTR model in my view. All new tooling for a model they can only do in one livery and with one identity. I'm not complaining, like, Its a beautiful model.
Forgive me for saying this, but what's so special about the ruddy DP1 anyway? :)
I mean, why can't we have (say) a Fury, or a W1? Even a P1 or P2 has more options... and a 47xx would be a large class in comparison. :)
Sorry for the rant, I now return you to your normal topic.
I just keep trying to get a little better
Said a little better than before

Vulcan

Quote from: Sailor Charon on April 16, 2011, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: Vulcan on April 06, 2011, 10:40:03 PM
Forgive me for saying this, but what's so special about the ruddy DP1 anyway? :)
I mean, why can't we have (say) a Fury, or a W1? Even a P1 or P2 has more options... and a 47xx would be a large class in comparison. :)
Sorry for the rant, I now return you to your normal topic.

Because they had already done the design work when they did the OO version as a special commission for the NRM, so it was relatively easy for them to do.
Cheers,

David

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations