Anyone got a class 101 DMU, particularly NSE 371-505

Started by gavin_t, October 22, 2019, 08:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin_t

Apologies if this is the wrong section but wasn't sure where to post.

Looking at buying my first rolling stock for my NSE themed layout. See one of these on eBay and fancy one as feel it could fit my theme well.
Anyone got one and can give some feedback? Also the box says "6 DCC" does this mean I can just add a decoder and it can then run on dcc?

:thankyousign:

ScottishModeller

Quote from: gavin_t on October 22, 2019, 08:05:35 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong section but wasn't sure where to post.

Looking at buying my first rolling stock for my NSE themed layout. See one of these on eBay and fancy one as feel it could fit my theme well.
Anyone got one and can give some feedback? Also the box says "6 DCC" does this mean I can just add a decoder and it can then run on dcc?

:thankyousign:
Hi Gavin,

Yes - buy it, fit decoder and run on layout.

Take care when inserting decoder - I managed to get a short between the pins on the socket.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

gavin_t

Thanks @ScottishModeller

Tempted to get it bought as looks as new and is a good saving over a new one

martyn

Farish make this in a number of liveries, and also two or three car.

Be very careful when trying to take the body off to fit a decoder; the body is a VERY snug fit to the chassis, and it needs gentle persuasion to release it. I ended up using fingernails, and then an old credit card, to ease the body off the chassis. It is also very easy to break the engine and underframe mouldings whilst trying to do this.

There is a thread elsewhere on the Forum about the 101s; it might be worth looking up.

I have three green livery 2-car sets, and have so far had no problems with them.

If you do go dcc, you will need one decoder for the power car (for motor and lights in that car) and a second decoder for the trailer car (for lights in that car).

Note that if it is NOT 6-pin, then it will be a Poole version which has a less detailed body, and the chassis is VERY noisy; they are also prone to split gears in the drive. Such versions are often on eBay; I've also got two of these, which have had replacement gears and wheels, and still run well, but the noise! I've converted both of these to dcc, with decoder above the motor.

Martyn

gavin_t

@martyn thanks for the detailed information.

This one does say 6dcc on the end of the box so assume it is the better version.

So for full dcc I will need two decoders?

Dock Shunter

Quote from: gavin_t on October 23, 2019, 12:20:37 PM
@martyn

So for full dcc I will need two decoders?

Don't forget Gavin,If you are going to use a decent quality decoder for the motor in the power car of your Dmu,the decoder for the trailer car is only to operate the lights,so one of the cheaper 6 pin decoders should do the job.You could run your Dmu with one decoder.It would just mean there would be no lights on the trailer car.   :NGaugersRule:

martyn

Hello @gavin_t ;

What Dockshunter says.

If you wish to have lights in the trailer car, you will need a decoder for that car.

I use Zimo 6-pin for the motor control, which last time I bought one was £20, and gives very good motor control; but if you find a cheaper chip, then that can be used in the trailer car for the lights, as there is no motor function in the second car (unless you have got a Power Twin-but these are not NSE livery).

martyn

gavin_t

Excellent cheers gentleman  :thankyousign:

Even if I don't get this eBay one I have one on my shopping list anyway so will be doing it sooner or later

kardkits

There is one on this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/theukngaugemodelrailwayclub/?fref=nf

DCC and sound fitted

Tim Blundell
N Gauge Joblot!
SO45 3JW

Grah Farish Class 101 In NSE Livery. DCC SOUND FITTED!! She also has working lights.

Good condition, ran well on test, and is fully boxed.

Asking £200 posted.

gavin_t

Well missed the first one on eBay and then found this one. New tooled dcc 6 pin ready one for £70  :D

Barring one missing exhaust pipe it is in good nick. Can't grumble for the price and I reckon I can fix up the missing pipe.
Did seem to be a bit juddery at first but is alot better now it has had a run.
Just need a pair of decoders now.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations