Barely any bargains

Started by d-a-n, December 12, 2015, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Well I think I have found  bargain today, just have to see what its like when it is delivered, there are bargains out there......

NeMo

Look Mike,

I think you want your cake AND to eat it too.

Hattons and other box shifters use sales and bargains to shift stuff that either isn't selling or will soon be replaced by updated models. Either way, you take advantage of them if they're things you're into (the "like it" option). Otherwise you have to pay full whack for the stuff that isn't on sale (the "lump it" option). You simply cannot expect stores to price expensive goods down to the price you think they should be based on your personal set of beliefs about economics. Not going to happen.

You say you don't like using Hattons, that's fine, but it is one of the stores that has a consistently varied selection of bargains. If your retailer of choice doesn't do regular sales and discounts, then that's the way it is. Again, your choice.

So far as eBay goes, the eBay madness thread has some comedy value for sure, where people advertise stuff at prices that aren't anywhere close to reality. But people whingeing about something selling for £X more than they think they're worth is silly. Something is worth what someone will pay for it. If someone has treasured memories of a Hornby 'Smokey Joe' and wants to pay £50 for the same vintage loco as they owned back in 1985, then that's their prerogative. To them, it's worth it. To you, perhaps not.

Just because you feel the prices on eBay aren't what you're prepared to pay for them, doesn't mean the system is broken. I use eBay all the time (not just for trains) and find it a very useful and safe place to shop.

Look, if you want to pay no more than £70 for a brand new steam loco, then by all means hold out for a bargain or otherwise check out the Union Mills range. But so far as Farish and Dapol are concerned, those days are gone. The economics aren't there. Labour is more expensive in China (which is a good thing, because it means the Chinese workers are getting paid more and having a higher standard of living) and that in turn has to be passed on to the purchaser in England.

If you honestly think the manufacturers are carving out huge profits from you, then maybe you need to have a chat with those involved in the Pendolino project to name just one. Model trains are expensive and risky, and both manufacturer and retailer need to make a profit, and at the moment, those profit margins aren't nearly as big as you think.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

MikeDunn

Quote from: NeMo on December 13, 2015, 05:20:27 PM
I think you want your cake AND to eat it too.
And I think you're over-reacting  ::)  You still seem not to have seen where I have stated that some bargains are out there, but instead put words into my mouth I have not said, or written ...

You simply cannot expect stores to price expensive goods down to the price you think they should be based on your personal set of beliefs about economics.
Never said that they should ... ::)

QuoteIf your retailer of choice doesn't do regular sales and discounts, then that's the way it is.
Never said that either; and as it happens, my local store matches Hattons & RoS prices, if not beats them on a regular basis.  Which is something I have said before ...  And let's be honest : the price level the big players set (and after having a tour a while back of my local shop's warehousing & seeing the vast stock they have, I can happily include them in this clique) is the de facto price point regardless of what GraFar or any other company may wish to set ...

QuoteJust because you feel the prices on eBay aren't what you're prepared to pay for them, doesn't mean the system is broken.
And I never claimed it was ... I merely pointed out some of the more ridiculous aspects.

QuoteBut people whingeing about something selling for £X more than they think they're worth is silly
What I said was :
Quote from: Mikethere are other people willing to get into a bidding frenzy on something still available new at lower prices

Quoteif you want to pay no more than £70 for a brand new steam loco
You'll be hard-pressed to see any posts where I say this too ... ::)

QuoteThe economics aren't there. Labour is more expensive in China
Strangely, I do understand the economics, so no need to give a lesson I don't require.

QuoteIf you honestly think the manufacturers are carving out huge profits from you
You really need to learn to differentiate between what I actually said & what you think I said ... yup, you're on about something else I never said.  If all you're going to do is make an argument based on putting words in my mouth, there's no point you & I continuing this debate about there being a dearth of bargains compared with a couple of years back - the actual topic from the OP.

Any chance of getting back to it ?

kiwi1941

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 13, 2015, 10:55:12 PM
my local store matches Hattons & RoS prices, if not beats them on a regular basis.

Perhaps you could reveal where your local model shop is! Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: NeMo on December 13, 2015, 09:08:55 AM
Let's take the Cumbrian Mountain Express train pack. Hattons price is a few pence under £132. Bought individually, a BR green 'Duchess' would be £127.46, the Mk1 coaches are £24.61 a piece, and the Blue Anchor signal box is £25.46. Grand total, £226.75. So while you're not getting exactly the same items, you're still getting a saving of about £100 by buying the train pack. That's insanely good value.
Yes, I have been contemplating that one for some time now, since NPN brought it to my notice, trouble is I would rather have maroon coaches !

PS, First it is Cumberland, then it's Cumbria, no telling what local gov. reorg indignity will be next, now it seems the denizens of West Somerset have staged a coup and are claiming Ais Gil signal box for their own ? !! (sorry NeMo couldnt resist :) )

Quote from: kiwi1941 on December 13, 2015, 11:40:48 PM
my local store matches Hattons & RoS prices, if not beats them on a regular basis.

Somewhere near Hereford, SW-ish UK I think he is.

JasonBz

Hereford Model Centre I would guess :)

MikeDunn

As I have said numerous times in the past - Hereford Models.

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 14, 2015, 12:03:32 AM
Somewhere near Hereford, SW-ish UK I think he is.
SW-ish  ???  ::)  West side of the West Midlands, you mean ! :D

MikeDunn

Quote from: JasonBz on December 14, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
Hereford Model Centre I would guess :)
Someone paid attention  :D  :thumbsup:

Agrippa

Is this a private punch up or can anyone join in ...... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Karhedron

Dapol and Farish have claimed the British N gaugers are extremely price sensitive.

Looks like they were right.  :whiteflag:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

kiwi1941

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 14, 2015, 08:56:18 AM
As I have said numerous times in the past - Hereford Models.

Sorry I don't remember reading any of your posts before. Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 14, 2015, 08:57:42 AM
SW-ish  ???  ::)  West side of the West Midlands, you mean ! :D
:D
I thought that might amuse you  :laugh:

note that I said -ish and UK, so it depends on if someone is looking down on us from Edinburgh, you see , , ,

Quote from: Karhedron on December 14, 2015, 09:11:35 AM
British N gaugers are extremely   price    sensitive.
:laughabovepost:
ducks&runs  :whiteflag:

paulprice

What of you are standing on your head when you look at a map?

Richey1977

The Ian Allen shop in Waterloo knocked the price of their Farish and Bachmann train sets down this month.  I'd happily have bought all them if I had more money, but I got the Steel Worker set for £80.  I wouldn't have got the 08 shunter and three tippler wagons for that, nevermind a spare power controller, which might come in handy for something...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations