The Worlds Smallest

Started by longbridge, May 12, 2011, 09:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Found this little beauty at the local train show, mmm some folks say N gauge is small ;D ;D ;D

[
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

T is fun. I've been building a few bits in it - currently putting together some NN1.5 stock (to represent 15" gauge in N)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

lesmond

You're a madman  ;D, but I like the way you think. Can't wait to see 15" gauge modelling in N.

I prefer it in 1:24 where I've some chance of seeing what I make!
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Tank

Thanks for the picture oldrailbug. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your project EtchedPixels.  I'd like to see the "15"" gauge when it's done. :) :camera:

poliss

That's the smallest commercially available train set, but there's a home made set that's much smaller. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXYdzH0DKA

grumbeast

Talking of T gauge,

for those of you who haven't seen this.. its an excellent bit of stop-motion animation of the creation of a T gauge layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jIdBa1qLeY

Graham

bluedepot

i saw t gauge at an exhibition and was very unimpressed

ok it's small, and it runs... so well done on that level, but appearance, running speed, track etc etc left me cold. it's just a gimic i think.

tim

longbridge

I have to agree with you Tim as its not the kind of thing that you would build into a large layout, I guess the Japanese love it though they are even bigger kids than we are and love playing and inventing new things. (good luck to them).
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

I think it will depend how the technology develops. The words used about a gimmicks and track and the like were in the past used about OO and N (and I suspect justifiably at the time in both cases).

T poses some interesting opportunities as the running qualities improve. Trackwork can certainly be improved, the wheels and coarseness of gauge may be much harder because of the way physics doesn't scale in its favour.

We are already seeing some interesting tricks being done in T such as the use of micromagnets in the underframe gear for additional traction because they can generate more force than weights. I am sure we'll see a whole raft of other new ideas, more improved PWM controllers and also a lot of crossover from micro-miniaturisation in other fields.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

longbridge

Interesting point of view Alan but the big question is "will it sell", I have my doubts for two reasons, 1/ after many years Z Gauge has a very limited following and 2/ since I first saw T Gauge last year everyone I have spoken to has said they think its far to small to take it seriously.
For those that do buy T Gauge have fun ;D ;D ;D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Z isn't much smaller than N and had a single manufacturer for much of its existance- a fairly cynical play to create a captive market

I'm having fun anyway. Today the spoil wagon arrived, which involved some interesting axle making using N gauge handrail pins.

lesmond

The spoil wagon is beautiful, thanks for the pictures. The track looks grand too.

I'm a big fan of 15" gauge, and love it that you're doing it in 2mm scale. Please keep the updates and pictures coming.
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

msr

Is this the world's smallest commercially produced N Gauge loco?  It is probably designed to run with 4.5 V DC like earlier models from this manufacturer, so don't place it on your DCC layout!
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10369047

ntpntpntp

Quote from: msr on February 28, 2017, 01:54:22 PM
Is this the world's smallest commercially produced N Gauge loco? 

Implies it should be possible to make a motorised one of these in N?  (pretty sure I've seen an unpowered brass model):
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations