The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest10040

what is it with royal mail tracking these days.....
you post a parcel, at a post office, and tracking doesn't even know they have got it ...
you are waiting for a parcel,
tracking says a tracking number has been provided, and there is a knock at the door and the parcel is here...

what is the  :censored: point of tracking, if it doesn't  :censored: work ??

TrevL

I've mentioned that same thing before, apparently the tracking number is for the poster, not the addressee, so if you're expecting something you might get a notification when it's delivered, which is a fat lot of good. :veryangry: :censored:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

If I buy anything from the UK, (which is not often these days due to Customs/Irish VAT/Fees - but that is for another post in the 'Angry' thread  :)), and the sender sends it tracked, I can track it on the Royal Mail site until it departs the UK. Using the same RM tracking number, I can then track it via An Post, (Irish postal service), right up to it departing the local office for delivery - well, usually I can.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest10040

I used to be able to track a signed for or special delivery item using Royal Mail / track your item, by the time I got home from the post office I could enter the tracking  number, and it would show that it had been recieved at the post office, and I would then copy that and send to the reciepient to advise of despatch.

the next day, or so, I could again track it's progress and so on until it was delivered.

but over the last couple of months, you enter the tracking number, click on track my item, and it just seems to sit there.
however, if you phone RM and select the option for tracking an item, it will tell you it's status. but of course, that means the cost of the call, and the time taken to get a reply.

dannyboy

I know I have mentioned similar problems before, but this is definitely an aaaaaargh! post.

On 3rd July I ordered a small electrical item from a UK seller via ebay, as I could not find it in Ireland. I only paid £16.73p including postage and VAT, the Irish VAT being collected by ebay. A few days later, I received an email from Irish Customs saying I owed €3.64 VAT plus a €3.50 collection fee. I paid this in order to get the item, but immediately appealed the decision to Irish Customs. This morning, I received a reply to my email, which basically said, "the sender failed to supply the 'IOSS' number, so, tough, the charge stands". I then contacted ebay via their 'Chat' system to ask them to refund the VAT. To cut a long story, (57 minutes  :goggleeyes:), short, I ended up being told that the person I 'chatted' to would submit my request for a VAT refund and I should have a result in 7 - 10 days.  :doh:

It is getting to the stage where it is getting too expensive, (and frustrating), to buy anything from a non EU seller. Maybe that is the plan  :hmmm:.
Anyway, rant over.  :)

I do not believe this! (even though it has happened)

Just after I posted the above, the postman came, with an Irish Customs demand, (no email this time), for €6.42 VAT, (plus the €3.50 fee), for some models that have been sent from the UK! I have checked the order and, yes, ebay have charged me for the VAT. So, I either refuse to pay the charge and the items will get sent back to the UK in a couple of weeks and then I have to wait for the seller to refund me, or I pay the charge and go through all the rigmarole of appealing the Customs charge, which will be refused, and then trying to get the VAT back through ebay. This is getting  :censored: reedikalus!  :*( :*(
David.

Graham

more profit for ebay perhaps  >:D

dannyboy

As I understand it, when ebay add VAT to an order, they are collecting on behalf of the Customs/Revenue service of the receiving country. The money will then, at some stage, be forwarded on. So, in my case, the Irish Customs are getting two lots of VAT on my purchase. This did happen once before and I did get a refund from ebay.
David.

stevewalker

At the end of last year, our electricity and gas accounts moved to Eon. In February our protected price ended and we moved to 12 month, fixed deals, that required Smart meters fitting. We got as far as fitters arriving, looking at our existing meter cupboards and declaring that this was a nice easy job. Then it all came to a halt, as they discovered that our electricity and gas accounts were separate and they could not apply Smart meters to them.

Since then, we have regularly received emails and letters telling us that we need to be on Smart meters for the tariff and I have kept calling them. Each call resulted in the same response, that they didn't yet have a way to merge two accounts. In May/June, it suddenly changed to them testing a system to merge accounts and that it should be available soon.

On August 9th, the advisor had to go away to check and then call me back to confirm that the accounts were merged and that we could go ahead, so we booked for the change today and I made changes to my work schedule, so as to be at home.

This morning I have called to see if they can narrow down the time-slot, only to be told that the appointment was cancelled on 10th August. They can see the cancellation and can also see that no cancellation email or text was sent out and no phone call made! To make it worse, I have now been told that the two accounts have not been linked and that they still have no way of doing so - other than by cancelling the accounts and setting up new ones, at the current, much higher rates.

Apparently, we can't just have the electricity meter done and follow up with the gas one later, as a 4 to 5-year old firmware problem, that the meter manufacturers haven't addressed, means that adding the gas meter to an existing electricity meter doesn't work!

When it is possible to get a sensible price elsewhere, we shall definitely be moving from Eon, as fast as possible!

Malc

We have Smart meters, two separate ones. The gas is on one side of the porch and the electricity is on the other side. So why do Eon say you have to add the gas meter to the electric one?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Yeah - I have separate meter cupboards at the side of the bungalow and each has its own smart meter Eon again

stevewalker

As gas meters have no electricity supply (they are simple mechanical devices that operate by the flow of gas), to be Smart, they need a very low power processor and communications system adding, that can run intermittently, for an extended period, on a battery. Consequently, the gas meter's communications range is very limited and it cannot communicate with the data centre handling the information (the battery would be flattened in no time). To get around this, a Smart gas meter only communicates with the linked Smart electricity meter, which having an unlimited supply of power, can pass the data on to the data centre. Hence the requirement for them to be linked in the software/firmware setup. It is this link that Eon cannot establish, when the gas and electricity is on two separate accounts and not a dual fuel tariff.

lil chris

Well today I had one of those scam calls on the landline, the wife just passed it over to me. Basically it was about someone spending £150 on my credit card account, which is not possible because a few days ago I nearly fell for a scam and RBS blocked the card. I am waiting for something from the USA so when I got a call saying there was a customs charge and somebody had tried to deliver the parcel I fell for it. If I had checked the tracking the parcel was still in the USA. Only £1.70 but would probably have been more later, so card blocked which will stop me spending for a bit while I get a new card.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Malc

Some of these scams are so believable, it's no wonder people are sucked in. As you say £1.70 is a small amount so you go with it, but it's the thin end of the wedge.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Why do so many people change the name 'Mick' to 'Mike'?
I can be introduced or introduce myself as 'Mick' yet sometimes less than 10 minutes later they're calling me 'Mike'.
Likewise I can e mail from an address beginning 'mick...............................' and get a reply addressed to 'Mike'
It has reached the stage where I am just quite rude to them as, to my mind, if they can't get my name right they are no loss to me at all >:(

dannyboy

Quite right too Mike Mick. Seriously though, I know what you mean. I have spoken to a couple of people lately, by email, in reference to my brother Michael. He is usually know as 'Mick' and I referred to him as such. However, in the emails I received back, he was referred to as 'Mike'.  ???
David.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations