preferences for storing locos

Started by guest311, December 10, 2018, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

QuoteWhere do you get the cassettes from, or do you make them yourself? If so, I'd like to see them.

I use plastic trunking intended for running cables, similar to this but preferably without the self adhexive, I use 25mm from Homebase, 32mm would be better, but not much about, mostly 25 or 38.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Trunking-Plastic-Electrical-Conduit/dp/B07FCQR9GX/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1544480978&sr=8-10&keywords=electrical%2Btrunking%2Bwhite&th=1
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dr Al

In original boxes, on their sides, and ends. Have done for close to 2 decades.

There is simply no issue here - if there's so much oil that it'll run then the model is vastly over-oiled in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about it, and carry on as you are.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

longbow

Most locos spend months on their sides in their original packaging before purchase, so no qualms there.

I use KR Multicase with stock on its side. For locos I put strips of overhanging freezer bag plastic into the tray slots to make removal easier.

David Asquith

I like to see my stock on display on the layout.  The ones that I haven´t space for I keep in Mill Lane sidings cassettes which I think are excellent and I enjoyed building.

http://www.mill-lane-sidings.co.uk/mlscassette.html

daveg

Like Dr Al, I keep all my locos in their original boxes which are then stored in Really Useful mobile drawer units.

Usually laid on their sides so I can find what I'm looking for pretty quickly. It's not caused a problem so far.

Dave G

Vonzack

I tend to keep locos in their original boxes and stock in foam trays.

railsquid

I too store my locomotives in their original boxes, on their side for the most part, never had any problems.

(Rolling stock I prefer to store in "bookcase" packaging, as available from Kato etc., as I can source it cheaply and it makes it easier to get out/put away stock).

guest311

dear all,
:thankyousign: for all your comments.

I take on board the comments about over oiling, each new loco has been test run, body stripped, cleaned and lubricated with any excess removed.

as it is coming up to the time when all locos etc need test running, I've decided to go with ...
on side, with clear film under/ round locos on their sides, with two layers of foam trays fitting in the new boxes I'm using.

labels on box end listing unit numbers.

old blue boxes from JB now swapping to holding wargames units... oh a whole platoon of apcs, plus figures on bases will fit in one box, or two platoons of figures plus trucks if not apcs.

again, thank you for your comments and advice.

regards
alan

PLD

My Locos are kept in their original boxes stored upright.

The reason for storing upright is that from experience, locos stored upright are less prone to pickup issues than those stored on their side.
This is because of the lack of springiness of the brass used for Bachmann pickups and if the loco is left laying on it's side for a prolonged time it does distort resulting in bias to the side that is taking all the weight... The 03, 04 & 14 diesels seem to be particularly prone to this...

monkey_brains

Quote from: PLD on December 11, 2018, 08:23:34 PM
The reason for storing upright is that from experience, locos stored upright are less prone to pickup issues than those stored on their side.
This is because of the lack of springiness of the brass used for Bachmann pickups

Learn something new every day! Thanks!

A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

Les1952

I use the foam trays supplied by Ten Commandments.

They fit inside a Really Useful Box plastic box, two layers to the 4 litre size and four layers to the 9 litre size.  I only use the 2 litre size for locos.  Each layer will take nine large or up to eighteen smaller locos, stored on their wheels. The plastic boxes sit on a shelf at home and will go inside a large supermarket "bag for life" four deep to go out to a show.

Underneath each loco is a piece of paper with its identity, mostly to ensure each loco is accounted for at the end of a show. 

I find that with the Really Useful boxes having a good locking handle at each end it is more likely to survive rough handling than my previous boxes, which twice failed to stay closed when dropped onto an exhibition hall floor by a (now former) member of my operating team.  I still have a queue of locos to go to BR Lines or DCC Supplies for sorting.

The pic shows about two thirds of my Pacifics lined up on top of one of the Really Useful boxes.  The securing handles are just about visible.

Hope this ramble helps.
Les

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Les1952 on December 20, 2018, 10:14:08 AM
I find that with the Really Useful boxes having a good locking handle at each end it is more likely to survive rough handling than my previous boxes, which twice failed to stay closed when dropped onto an exhibition hall floor.
That happened to the guy on the layout behind us at the last show I exhibited at a couple of weekends ago. Packing up time, there was an almighty crash and bits of OO DCC diesels all over the place  :'(
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Chuffington

If you are a fan of the 'Book' style storage system then old VHS cases with a piece of foam suitably trimmed are very useful, especially for locos or other rolling stock which have been purchased s/h without the original boxes.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations