plastic strip, clear plastic and a suitable glue question

Started by dean thom, February 24, 2013, 01:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean thom

howdy folks,

the question is the header. im searching for a glue that provides a good strong bond, has some 'adjustment' time and won't fog the glazing. any help or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

regards. dean

EtchedPixels

Quote from: dean thom on February 24, 2013, 01:51:13 AM
howdy folks,

the question is the header. im searching for a glue that provides a good strong bond, has some 'adjustment' time and won't fog the glazing. any help or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

regards. dean

For glazing work I generally use Micro Krystal Klear. It's a PVA type glue and sets very very clear. It can be removed again with a soaking in water.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

E Pinniger

Another useful material for gluing clear material is Johnsons' "Klear" (sold as "Future" in the USA). It's very different to Kristal Klear despite the similar name, being basically an acrylic-based gloss varnish. Not only does it not fog clear plastic, it actually enhances its clarity - painting or dipping glazing parts with Klear can improve their appearance a lot. It also loses virtually all its volume as it dries (like most acrylics) so you don't get blobs or brush marks.

The disadvantage of Klear is that it has very little "tack" before it dries, so parts need to be set up carefully then left to dry.

As EP says, Krystal Klear is a very useful adhesive for clear parts. It does form "blobs" unlike Klear but this property can be used for filling in corners + gaps where glazing doesn't quite fit properly. It can even be used as a glazing material on its own for small apertures (such as cab windows + spectacle plates on steam locos

upnick

Both replies above are excellent although i'd favour Alan's recomendation  of  Krystal Klear  i've used it for years   for  attaching glazing &  in  small   apertures 

dean thom

so then would you knowledgable fellas be able to recommend a glue for brass window etches. would the two suggestions above still be suitable for metal? Dx

upnick

Quote from: dean thom on February 28, 2013, 08:45:59 PM
so then would you knowledgable fellas be able to recommend a glue for brass window etches. would the two suggestions above still be suitable for metal? Dx

Hi  Dean,   

What are you glueing the  brass etched windows to   or are you using  clear plastic  glued  on to  etched brass windows ?

EtchedPixels

Brass to brass I use evostick impact for most stuff, superglue paste for very small parts. Brass to glazing I use kristal klear.

Handy trick for tiny parts btw - tiny bit of light glue (eg PVA) to glue part front onto cocktail stick, superglue paste on back of part, attach to model, hold until it sets and remove stick. The superglue join (if set properly) is much stronger.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dean thom

Quote from: upnick on February 28, 2013, 09:21:00 PM
Quote from: dean thom on February 28, 2013, 08:45:59 PM

Hi  Dean,   

What are you glueing the  brass etched windows to   or are you using  clear plastic  glued  on to  etched brass windows ?

i wish to glue the ratio 'n' gauge signal box, brass window etches onto clear plastic. i'm uncertain whether kristal klear would make a strong enough joint.

upnick

Quote from: dean thom on March 01, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

i wish to glue the ratio 'n' gauge signal box, brass window etches onto clear plastic. i'm uncertain whether kristal klear would make a strong enough joint.

I havnt glazed my brass etched windows on  my  Ratio  signal  box yet Dean but the window frames themselves  i used superglue to   attach   them  to the plastic,  i'll   either  use a tiny  spot of  superglue  on the edges of the glazing  or  Krystal  Klear to  individually  glaze each  window opening  ;) when i   use  superglue near glazing i   play a fan  over  the  model while the  glue dries it stops the  superglue fumes glazing the glazing,   heres a link to  the tip  i  left on the forum   

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1743.0

My  signal  box  ready for glazing  ;)

EtchedPixels

Superglue fumes tend to fog glazing material - and annoyingly they can do it over time.

Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations