New Farish 94xx reviewed - 1971

Started by woodbury22uk, September 28, 2020, 01:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Sorting through my old magazine cuttings I came across this review by C. O. Ellis from the August 1971 edition of Airfix magazine. It was £5.99 plus postage.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bigmac

drop one on your foot and you will know about it.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Dalteth

Newportnobby

I've got two - Farish ref 1105 - and I know @Bealman has one (ref 371-953) as I sold it to him :D
It's everything the review says.

osborns

we have come a long way but it is nearly 50 years since it's release.
#Isn't it about time Farish did an up-grade along the lines of their new OO version which will be released  shortly. :thumbsup:

Bob G

I have two of these, China production models with low profile wheels, and one has been renumbered. They are comparable in detail to Union Mills (or better) and the China chassis certainly makes a difference. Since the 94xx is a particular model I want, I'm very happy with it, but if another comes along I would probably upgrade.

Same with the 51xx/61xx/6101 class large prairie (another Dapol OO machine alongside the Manor that is ripe for the shrink ray).

Best
Bob

belstone

I have one from the first couple of months production.  The price £5.99 is printed on the box: in September 1971 it was reduced to £5.79, which dates mine as a very early example.  It is mint, boxed complete with instructions and transfer sheet.  Not a great runner but it probably still needs running in.  I have a plan to celebrate its 50th birthday next year - watch this space.

Richard

Dr Al

Quote from: Bob G on September 28, 2020, 06:10:30 PM
I have two of these, China production models with low profile wheels, and one has been renumbered.

The China and 1979ish model is actually a completely different one that shares not one piece of tooling with the one shown in the OP.

The body was retooled to be more scale when the open frame 3 pole motor (itself a completely retooled chassis) was introduced. The model has used this body ever since on various flavours of the later chassis, with improving motors, and ultimately the finer wheels. So it's only early/mid 1970s models that are actually the one described.

Moreso, the earliest early ones were different to later-early ones - you can see it has all wheel crank pins, metal chassis and sprung couplers. This changed to the (hellish) plastic chassied versions afterwards I believe, and these eventually scrapped for the open frame chassis and more scale body. The original body was overscale to accommodate the Arnold motor used.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Bob G

That certainly makes sense. I had an earlier version and sold it because of the pizza cutter wheels. When I saw the Chinese version I was impressed with it and bought into it.
Bob

Bealman

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 28, 2020, 03:56:07 PM
I've got two - Farish ref 1105 - and I know @Bealman has one (ref 371-953) as I sold it to him :D
It's everything the review says.

Actually I have two now too. The one you sent me joins a BR livery one I got in 1987. Both are good runners.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Adam1701D

My first N Gauge loco, along with a Minitrix 2-6-0...great model for the time.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Roy L S

Quote from: Dr Al on September 28, 2020, 09:06:33 PM
Quote from: Bob G on September 28, 2020, 06:10:30 PM
I have two of these, China production models with low profile wheels, and one has been renumbered.

The China and 1979ish model is actually a completely different one that shares not one piece of tooling with the one shown in the OP.

The body was retooled to be more scale when the open frame 3 pole motor (itself a completely retooled chassis) was introduced. The model has used this body ever since on various flavours of the later chassis, with improving motors, and ultimately the finer wheels. So it's only early/mid 1970s models that are actually the one described.

Moreso, the earliest early ones were different to later-early ones - you can see it has all wheel crank pins, metal chassis and sprung couplers. This changed to the (hellish) plastic chassied versions afterwards I believe, and these eventually scrapped for the open frame chassis and more scale body. The original body was overscale to accommodate the Arnold motor used.

HTH,
Alan

Hi Alan

Pretty much spot on. The first chassis was very different from the subsequent plug together plastic job, far better engineered and put together. It appears very robust, both of mine still work if noisily. Less said about the plug together jobs the better...

The original body was in two parts, both metal. I understand that originally the plan was that the running plate element be metal, the superstructure plastic, but doing so did not provide adequate weight.

Wouldn't it be something if for 2021 we have a brand new 94xx in vintage style "Graham Farish" blue and yellow packaging. If they did I would have to get two, one in GWR green as this loco with the "new" open frame chassis is what kept me with N gauge in the 70s, such was the step change in performance and a BR black one for general use under Rule 1.

Roy

belstone

Here's what £5.99 (around £85 at today's prices) bought you in 1971:

I agree with @Roy L S , a new 94xx in retro style packaging would be a great way for Farish to celebrate 50 years of the loco that probably got more people started in N gauge than any other. 

Richard

martyn

Slightly off topic, but did the contemporary Farish J67/69 ever have a metal chassis, or was it always plastic?

The two I bought in 1977 were both plastic chassis.

Martyn

Roy L S

Quote from: martyn on September 29, 2020, 03:45:23 PM
Slightly off topic, but did the contemporary Farish J67/69 ever have a metal chassis, or was it always plastic?

The two I bought in 1977 were both plastic chassis.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Always plastic, but there were two variants. The earliest had squared chassis ends and gears integral with axles, the later had tapered ends to the keeper-plate and plastic gears pushed onto metal axles (not very durable!).

Regards

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations