New veterans ID cards rolled out to service leavers

Started by RailGooner, January 22, 2020, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StufromEGDL

Quote from: Lawrence on January 22, 2020, 01:52:53 PM
I know quite a few lads who managed to keep hold of theri F1250 on discharge (that's the RAF ID card), I wasn't one of them.

Hi Gang

MOD Form 90 (what used to be a 1250) now has an expiry date, so even though you can keep hold of them now on replacement or retirement, they have a limited shelf life.
And they aren’t dark blue any more!!!

Later,
Stu in EGYP
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

guest311

I wonder how long it will be before we no longer have an Army, Navy and Air Force, but instead just a Defence Force, same uniform for all, one department buying everything from aircraft carriers to k/f/s sets,

think how much they could save, everyone in combats, get rid of all dress uniforms etc...

oh god, I'm beginning to think like a politician  :'(

StufromEGDL

Quote from: class37025 on January 23, 2020, 12:45:38 PM
I wonder how long it will be before we no longer have an Army, Navy and Air Force, but instead just a Defence Force, same uniform for all, one department buying everything from aircraft carriers to k/f/s sets,

think how much they could save, everyone in combats, get rid of all dress uniforms etc...

Many people of all 3 (or 4/5) services wear PCS ( latest version of cam clothing) on a daily basis for normal work....apparently it gives an Ops perspective. Specific clothing is still available for trades needing appropriate coveralls and protective clothing such as aircrew (green bag), technicians (coveralls), firefighters( thermal protection) and PTIs (mirrors and hairbrushes).

Later,
Stu in EGYP

Shropshire Lad

The public Railcard site won't be updated until the cards are almost on sale.
This article seems to say families will get discounted tickets too
https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/veterans-railcard-new-forces-rail-train-discount-tickets-launch-remembrance-day-2020-price-1372415

Lawrence

Quote from: StufromEGDL on January 23, 2020, 12:51:18 PM
and PTIs (mirrors and hairbrushes).

Later,
Stu in EGYP

Absolutely PMSL at that, how true  ;D

Just out of curiousty, is that still 4 Allisons bolted under your wings or have they gone with another manufacturer?
Stay safe bud.

Lawrence

Quote from: The Q on January 23, 2020, 09:45:55 AM
For your pension you'll have to apply to, Kentigern House in Glasgow, it will then be paid from somewhere in Surrey. (SWMBO gets hers in 5 days time)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/service-personnel-and-veterans-agency-spva-pensions-forms

As for falling off a radar, I never did that just as well as falling off the top of this one would have not been a good idea.!! (I've been to the top of this very one and several others many times..)

Oh 1250 was the last thing you handed in along with the blue clearance form at Personnel, then you walked out the gate and that was it..

My colleague in the work shop just went "ooh that's a type 84 radar!"
He was ground radio btw

Gizzy

Quote from: class37025 on January 23, 2020, 12:45:38 PM

Many people of all 3 (or 4/5) services wear PCS ( latest version of cam clothing) on a daily basis for normal work....apparently it gives an Ops perspective. Specific clothing is still available for trades needing appropriate coveralls and protective clothing such as aircrew (green bag), technicians (coveralls), firefighters( thermal protection) and PTIs (mirrors and hairbrushes).

Later,
Stu in EGYP

I work as a defence contractor on a military base, providing flying and maintenance training services. And no, it's not the RAF!

I see PCS every working day, and it works well. So well, I nearly ran over a soldier at night who was 'patroling' in he middle of a dark road on the base!

I believe that service traditions mean we will always have 3 services, Navy (which includes the Royal Marines), Army and Air Force. The Canadians tried the unified approach and it didn't work at all.

If you look at the Army today, although it is slowly shrinking, they keep the regimental traditions alive even if they pass them on to Reserve Units....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Gizzy

Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

StufromEGDL

Quote from: Lawrence on January 23, 2020, 01:24:08 PM

Later,
Stu in EGYP

Just out of curiousty, is that still 4 Allisons bolted under your wings or have they gone with another manufacturer?
Stay safe bud.

Rolls Royce TP400s on my wings. But with many multi-national components.
Allisons went out with the C130Ks....the ‘J’ has RR engines coupled loosely to Dowty props.

Later,
Stu in EGYP (packing!)

guest311

not too loosely, I hope  :)

wouldn't want to lose one, AA wouldn't hold any spares  :smiley-laughing:

Lawrence

Quote from: StufromEGDL on January 23, 2020, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on January 23, 2020, 01:24:08 PM

Later,
Stu in EGYP

Stay safe bud.

Rolls Royce TP400s on my wings. But with many multi-national components.
Allisons went out with the C130Ks....the 'J' has RR engines coupled loosely to Dowty props.

Later,
Stu in EGYP (packing!)

Showing my age then  :-[ when I worked in the engine bay at EGDL it was Allison T56-A-15's (I think)
Halcyon days

Quote from: class37025 on January 23, 2020, 04:07:22 PM
not too loosely, I hope  :)

wouldn't want to lose one, AA wouldn't hold any spares  :smiley-laughing:

One did come back from drops in Africa with only one bolt still in evidence!  Probably all before Stu's time TBH

StufromEGDL

One did come back from drops in Africa with only one bolt still in evidence!  Probably all before Stu's time TBH

Joined the Herc fleet in 1990...so missed the Ethiopia work in the 80s.

Stu (nearly out of) EGYP.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations