The little detailing bags and working couplings

Started by jamespetts, September 07, 2019, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

the Farish class 47 with detailing and coupling makes it more realistic. how did you achieve removing the coupling ?  nick / james. is it a simple screw or clip / push gently pocket ?

agree looks good close coupled and take it hauling a rake of coaches round curves does not hinder movement or cause issues ?

njee20

On the 50 it's NEM, on a little chassis mounted kinematic pocket, so it just pulls out. I don't have any 47s to compare, but I think they're the same. :)

jamespetts

The latest (post 2009) Farish class 47s have a push fit NEM pocket for the couplings. I am using the short shank Dapol Easifit coupling to replace the default coupling.

To add the detailing parts, I used a pair of tweezers, a combination of 0.45mm, 0.50mm and 0.55mm drills to open out the holes (as some of the parts did not want to fit in and very little force can be applied without risking sending the minute parts flying accross the room) and PVA glue. The idea of using PVA glue was that it should be possible to remove the parts using moderate force without damaging them should it transpire that this arrangement does not work.

I made sure to fit the parts nearest the couplings to the upper holes and then, when the glue was still wet, swung the bogie from side to side gently to push the pipes out of the way slightly so that they would dry in the correct position for navigating curves.

When I tested this before I went on holiday, it appeared to go around my fiddle yard curves (minimum radius: ~305mm) coupled to a Farish mk. 1 carriage also fitted with a short shank Easifit coupling without difficulty. (Earlier tests without glue and with the pipes hanging straight down did not work so well, with the parts simply coming loose when the locomotive was pushed around the curve).
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

Thanks thats a mini tutorial and looks good. Thanks nick and james for answering the points

jamespetts

One other point to note is that it is necessary to use very fine tweezers, as coarse tweezers make it very difficult to hold the parts adequately.
Peertube > Youtube

daffy

Been reading this thread today and I must say James that you have done a great job of work in both the detailing and in explaining how you did it. Thanks.  :thumbsup:

I must admit that being long-sighted and ham fisted I may not manage the results you have shown, but I'm less likely now to leave all those fiddly bits in their bags and boxes.

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations