Triang catalogues.... 1962-1967

Started by Bealman, March 28, 2020, 06:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

OK.... let's officially get this underway, before I turn in and watch "Hidden Figures" on DVD - yet another story of the period.

Before we move to the sixties, however, this little gem fell out of one of the catalogues. Unfortunately, the front cover is missing, so I can't get a handle on the exact year.

It does, however, have to date from the early to mid-50s. I can say this with reasonable certainty, as it shows Triang's "Standard" track, with the built in ballast base - just like the N gauge Kato track of today! Looking at some of my old Railway Modeller magazines of the 1957-1960 period reveals Triang adverts featuring Series 3 track, with black, widely spaced sleepers. This was replaced by Super 4 in 1962.

I clearly remember playing with a classmate's Triang set which had standard track. The memory is clear because this was the very first electric train I had ever operated, and light years ahead of the Hornby tinplate O gauge clockwork I had at home.

The move to Series 3 was a backwards step in my opinion - I thought that the standard track with it's built-in ballast base looked quite respectable, and still do to this day. Take a look at the drool pic from this catalogue:

I personally can't find anything wrong with that - in fact I think it looks rather cool. Somewhere along the way during the sixties, I acquired, second hand, the station building and water tower. The brightly coloured plastic was shiny and warped, but I still plomped them on my layout!

One thing about this home isolation.... gives me time to rabbit on like this. Stay tuned!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Yes, I was brought up on Triang OO with a mixture of Series 3 and Super 4 track. Dad made up all the Airfix building kits and we used to set up wonderful layouts on the floor  :D   

I'd learnt how to strip and service Triang locos by the time I was 10.  I progressed to System 6 track over time, but sold off my OO and moved to N by the late 70s.  That's not to say I don't still have some OO in the cupboard including my favourite old B12 loco, but those are ostensibly my son's collection of course  :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

chrism

Quote from: daffy on March 28, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
And I may be wrong, but in George's photo is that white smudge half hidden by a bush in the front left of the paddock behind the turntable possibly a prototype Flossie?  :hmmm:   :D

No sign of an out of scale cat though. :D

Dunno, but I'm pretty sure that there should be a mouse hidden in each of the front cover pics - can't spot him at the maximum enlargement available, though.

daffy

:hmmm:  If the mice are missing - or hiding - there is a strong suspicion that a cat may be around somewhere then. Poppy? :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

I spent an hour on Saturday looking for the mouse on the covers.  So far I've only got the one on the 1967 catalogue!

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on March 28, 2020, 01:45:50 PM
I spent an hour on Saturday looking for the mouse on the covers.  So far I've only got the one on the 1967 catalogue!

I've just found him on the May 1965 one  ;)

I've got no chance on the others unless you can scan/photograph them somewhat larger.

Bealman

Please, no spoilers! I'll have another look when I get up (12.50am here)  :thumbsup:

I'm going to look at each one in turn, so I'll provide better quality pics.

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on March 28, 2020, 01:51:07 PM
Please, no spoilers! I'll have another look when I get up (12.50am here)  :thumbsup:

I'm going to look at each one in turn, so I'll provide better quality pics.

Cheers, I always used to like finding the mouse - coz the catalogue was about all I could afford so I stood more chance of finding the mouse than I did of acquiring any of the contents  :D

BTW, I've also found him on the one Chris @crewearpley40 posted.
He's

not to be revealed until George gets up  :D

crewearpley40

Ah sunday morning uk time.... the mouse hunt continues. Loving this . I have the copy of mr lines article plus the art of hornby. I can screenshot by request

Bealman

Nah, that's alright. It's the easy one on the shed windowsill  ;) :dighole:

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on March 28, 2020, 02:04:12 PM
Nah, that's alright. It's the easy one on the shed windowsill  ;) :dighole:

Well, the May '65 one was even easier  :P

Plainline.

Somewhere up in my loft, I have a book called" Triang the first ten years". If my memory serves me correctly it has an article by Terence Cuneo on weathering locos and rolling stock. Will have to find it and read it again I think.

Paddy

Hidden Numbers is a great movie.  Hope you enjoyed it too.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Bealman

Good morning, all! Well, it's morning here, but in light of our current situation, the "good" bit is stretching things a bit, I guess. Chin up, though.

Thanks Paddy, it's a great movie, that was my third watch! I remember the period very well. I have very clear memories of the period. Did you know they found the Liberty Bell 7 on the ocean floor and retrieved it?

@chrism yeah... found the little blighter this morning on top of the overhead mast. I was having difficulty because the front cover of the actual catalogue is identical, and I was searching there. Turns out the Triang logo covers that part of the painting on the cover!  :worried:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations