BR Diesels - North Cornwall

Started by Chris in Prague, September 11, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Which was the first BR Blue Class 08 to work to Wadebridge would be good to know, too!

dodger

Unfortunately I seem to have mislaid most of my records, but from an old abc it would appear that 2 of them may have been 51305/51320 and 51310/51325. I'm not sure if Laira kept the formations permanent ot not. The third may have been 51309/51324.

I new more about the London Division as I did my apprenticeship at Reading.

Dodger

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, Dodger. That's good enough for me as I'm only planning to make one 2-car set; now I've a choice of two definite sets to choose from.

I'm just hoping that someone will find a picture of a BR Blue 08 allocated to St. Blazey with a D series number now. 8-)

Michael Hendle

Hi

Just Managed to pick up on E Bay a Green Class 101 DMU,Right colour wrong unit probably for my new North Cornwell Branch,then so is my on trials class 24,I know Southern Region had them on loan,before their 33 came along.

So far I think I have only 1 Southern Loco that would be right for North Cornwall that is the M7, not sure about my other 2 a Q1 and the other a Adams 0395, the one I have was allocated to Feltham,a bit of a long way from Cornwall.

I would really love to get one of the new N class 2-6-0's but I don't think it will fit my head shunt,the Q1 just fits.

Mike :NGaugersRule: O.K.

Chris in Prague

The Ns were THE classic North Cornwall steam loco. working just about every type of train so I've ordered one although they are not among my favourites. Really, I should have more than one but I prefer Bulleid Pacifics and WR steam and diesel locos!

Chris in Prague

Port Perran, re: Lady Penelope, I have considered scratchbuilding a N Gauge pink Rolls Royce but would have to buy a toy model and work out the measurements in N. Also because of the shape and the large area of glass it would be a nightmare to construct! For now, she's represented as a young woman in helmet and headscarf riding one of the new (1960s) trendy Vespa scooters!

Chris in Prague

port perran

Very good Newport Nobby (very witty).
As for the Ns, I like them and one would look just  right on any North Cornwall or Devon layout.
I'd certainly be thinking of one when I build my fictional extension from Port Perran to the Padstow area .
Probably also need Standard Tanks and ex LM 41XXX tanks. Plus an M7 and an O2 or a Terrier. The list is endless !
Oh....and an ex GWR Mogul or two.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chris in Prague

I know it's a cliche, but I have several N Gauge Metropolitan Police callboxes and what's the only reason one would be seen in 1960s North Cornwall? Dr. Who, of course!

port perran

So......as Dr Who can go back in time, does that give you scope to run locos and stock from any era ?
Looking forward to hearing that you've got some Edwardian trains running !

Chris in Prague

Quote from: port perran on November 06, 2013, 09:09:43 PM
As for the Ns, I like them and one would look just  right on any North Cornwall or Devon layout.
I'd certainly be thinking of one when I build my fictional extension from Port Perran to the Padstow area .
Probably also need Standard Tanks and ex LM 41XXX tanks. Plus an M7 and an O2 or a Terrier. The list is endless !
Oh....and an ex GWR Mogul or two.

Definitely agree about the Ns, I've got one on order for Penmayne which is ex-LSWR under WR post-1963 but with limited SR steam still running until 1967 -- special dispensation to encourage tourism. WR steam finishes in 1962. Hence I'm modelling 1962-1967 with an option to 1969 so that I can run some BR Blue stock (but far fewer trains by then.)

I've a lot (too many) of Standard 4MT tanks so may transfer one to Port Perran if you're interested. I have one Standard 2MT and may buy another. I also got one Ivatt 41XXX tank but they're still going for around £90 on eBay! M7s are, I think, available for more reasonable prices. However, they had already been replaced by Ivatts in my period. Ditto O2s, even earlier. Terriers never got that far Southwest. GWR Moguls were seen in Devon and on the ex-GWR lines but you'd have to build a kit. At least you have a Manor. I'm still trying to buy one to join my Castle. Halls are easier to get. I would really like a Grange as they were designed for the hilly routes in Cornwall but that would have to be a kit, again.

If you extend to the Padstow area I'll have a word with Penmayne's management about through running as Penmayne's just across the Camel from Padstow and you can get there via Wadebridge.

There was a serious proposal to build a line from Padstow to Newquay (the SR still ran a bus service instead.) So, I guess Port Perran is a branch off the Padstow - Newquay line, then?

All the best,
Chris

Chris in Prague

I think the good Doctor will be too busy to bring over some Edwardian LSWR stock! 8-) What were those sea monsters called? As I'm having a mermaid hidden on the seaward facing side of the rock which divides Penmayne Harbour from Porthilly Cove maybe I can add a sea monster? 8-) I can convert a couple of N Gauge people into the Doctor and 2 companions!

port perran

Yes......in my mind Port Perran is situated twixt what is Hayle and Perranporth. My proposed extension will be to a small harbourside location between (roughly) Perranporth & Newquay.
I plan to imagine that indeed there was a link from Padstow to Newquay (and then trains could run on to Perranporth & Port Perran).  That way, I can justify SR locos/stock reaching Port Perran !
My fictional extension will incorporate a harbourside station / goods yard that can handle fictional fish traffic and imported goods etc.
However, it will have to wait till well after Christmas before work starts !

Chris in Prague

I very much look forward next year then to seeing the new branch to the harbour with the SR locos.

Next year, I plan to begin with Cant Cove the small intermediate station near Penmayne (the original terminus of the line from Wadebridge before the money to tunnel through Cant Hill and on to Penmayne, actually Porthilly, was raised), a typical North Cornwall station with passing loop and small goods yard. Whilst the whole of Penmayne is planned out, after 30 years, and being new to DCC and electrical operation of points etc., I thought a simple station would be the place to begin. It still has plenty of scenic opportunities with a bridge over Cant Cove which has a beach and a stream running into the sea with a half-sunken ship in the middle of the bay. (In real life Cant Cove is all mud but, in my scenario, sand dredged from Porthilly Cove to make Penmayne Harbour deep enough was dumped in Cant Cove after the mud had been dug out as part of a job creation scheme by the local landowner. Times were hard in North Cornwall in the nineteenth century. The half-sunken wreck in Cant Cove IS there, though).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations