BR Diesels - North Cornwall

Started by Chris in Prague, September 11, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Quote from: port perran on November 06, 2013, 09:39:21 PM
Yes......in my mind Port Perran is situated twixt what is Hayle and Perranporth. My proposed extension will be to a small harbourside location between (roughly) Perranporth & Newquay.
I plan to imagine that indeed there was a link from Padstow to Newquay (and then trains could run on to Perranporth & Port Perran).  That way, I can justify SR locos/stock reaching Port Perran !

I'm reading a lot of books about the railways in the Padstow - Wadebridge - Bodmin area. The following is from "The Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway" by C.F.D. Whetmath (1972), p23:
"Two lines proposed in 1873 were of local interest, and were under identical control. The Bodmin & Wadebridge and Delabole was yet another attempt to provide a rail connection from Wenford to the great slate quarry at Delabole, whilst the Cornwall Minerals and Bodmin & Wadebridge Junction Railway was to connect the Cornwall Minerals Railway, then under construction from Fowey to Newquay, with Ruthern Bridge [a branch of the Bodmin & Wadebridge]. The object was to provide an outlet for mineral traffic superior to Wadebridge. The two lines were granted running powers between Ruthern and Wenford, construction of a direct curve at Grogley to avoid a reversal there was envisaged. Although authorised on 5th August 1873, no construction was undertaken owing to the failure of a mining company which had guaranteed a considerable amount of traffic and, despite an extension of time being granted in 1876 the companies were wound up by Acts of 28th March 1878." So, Newquay COULD have been linked to Bodmin. So, there's your historical link, Port Perran?

Chris in Prague

And earlier, in 1865, (same source, p23) there had been a proposal for a line from Ruthern Bridge to Truro.

Chris in Prague

Of course, more useful, for Port Perran were the schemes to build lines from Wadebridge or Padstow SW.

For me, of more interest (p18, same book) was that in 1845, "the Rock & Delabole Railway was proposed between these two points to convey traffic from the great slate quarry at Delabole to a new harbour at Rock, a small village on the [River] Camel estuary opposite Padstow, but after a meeting with the B&W directors it was agreed to construct the new line from an end-on junction at Wenford Bridge up the valley of the River Camel to Delabole. . . . Unfortunately . . . nothing more [was] heard of the Rock & Delabole Railway."

I'm assuming that it went ahead, in the late 1840s and linked Rock with Delabole with a junction connecting the line with the B&W near Wadebridge. As a result, Rock gre to become much larger than Padstow. Large enough, in fact, to justify keeping the line open.

(p21) "The Cornwall Railway proposed [in 1845] a broad-gauge line from Plymouth, where it would connect with the South Devon Railway and, therefore, the Great Western Railway, to Truro and passing nearly four miles south-east of Bodmin with a short branch  to serve the town, whilst the standard gauge Cornwall & Devon Central Railway proposed a route from Falmouth through Wadebridge to Exeter, where connection with the London & South Western Railway was envisaged. Both of these companies offered to purchase the Bodmin & Wadebridge." [Of course, neither proposed railway was ever built.]

port perran

Interesting stuff. Thanks for that.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chris in Prague

My pleasure. I need to find the reference(s) in another book to the planned lines SW of Padstow and Wadebridge (different schemes) as the Padstow one would fi your scenario best Port Perran although the one from Wadebridge, perhaps, would be even better? I read about them but need to find the reference(s) as I said.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations