Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

Thanks for that, Skyline.  I suppose whenever there are rules in place people will attempt to interpret them to their own advantage.  Anyway, to try and get things back on topic, here's my latest purchase:

A weathered BR brake van I picked up on a trip to Glasgow.  You can also see the LNER B1 which I run with my teak coaches.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: johnlambert on January 09, 2014, 10:30:01 PM
There was no second class at the time.

Not quite strictly true - second class tended to survive as a special case for boat trains (the boats having three classes).

The railways certainly had a long history of bad behaviour. It took a law (Railway Act 1844) to get them to even give third class passengers a roof. Likewise it took state meddling to introduce parliamentary trains, or to get some companies to even carry third class passengers (eg the NLR only did so once compelled to do this as part of the arrangement for demolishing a load of slums to build their nice big shiny new station in London). Some companies even had a fourth class for a while (if third class passengers must have a roof why not add a fourth class without...)

To force passengers to travel first class everything was tried - coupling third class passengers to goods trains so they were very slow, making sure only first and second class coach trains didn't require changing - you name it, everything the airlines have come up with the railways tried first 8)

In the 1870s the Midland railway decided to change the rules of the game. To the utter fury of the other companies they started treating passengers like human beings and were rewarded with massive increases in passenger numbers and popularity. The lack of difference between 2nd and 3rd led to what was really third class being abolished. In law however they had to either provide 3rd class train services or pay extra taxes - so they simply called 2nd class 3rd and abolished second. It took into BR days for someone to decide that was stupid and fix the law.

Then in the era of political correctness it became 'standard class'. Some of the franchises btw are now lobbying for a return of 3rd class - or more accurately 'first/business/standard' akin to airline service.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

johnlambert

Thanks for the info, Alan.

My latest purchase is a Christmas present of sorts.  I had some Amazon vouchers to use and discovered that various N gauge items are available on there.  The Graham Farish fruit vans are something I've wanted for a while so I decided to treat myself.

Luke Piewalker

Another of my fantastic pictures....
I'm generally a TOPS guy, but for the price I couldn't resist...

johnlambert

Nice loco, Luke.
For some reason I never used to like Peaks when I first discovered them but they've started to grow on me.  Now if Farish would update one with NEM pockets, lights and a DCC socket I'd add one to my collection.

Luke Piewalker

I'm just proud of my orange multiple working cables. The orange is a bit too red, but it's an improvement on the unpainted black.

mk1gtstu

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on January 19, 2014, 05:56:27 PM

Another of my fantastic pictures....
I'm generally a TOPS guy, but for the price I couldn't resist...

Nice loco! I'm doing a bit of surgery, detailing & repaint on a class 45 peak at the moment, they're good locos & can be improved with a bit of work. :thumbsup:
I'm tempted to get a couple more as they are a good price at the moment.. :hmmm:

cheers, Stu.
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

pape_timmo

For Christmas my son bought me a Central trains 156 unit, and then for my birthday last week the kids and mother in law gave me money and a voucher or the local model shop, Church Street Models. So I bought the dummy 156 to go with the powered one. With the change I got another grey/blue Pullman Mk1, and the Oxford Diecast Plaxton Elite of Prospect Coaches.

[smg id=9708]

This weekend I've been away with my good lady, and shed promised a trip to Ford to The Engine Shed, to get the rest of my birthday present from her.
She got me 4 Cargowaggons, and 2 VGAs.

[smg id=9709]

When we got back to the hotel we had a call from our daughter to say a parcel had been delivered for me. It was my 5 Dapol FGW Mk3s, I'd ordered them for
Myself in December as a combined Christmas birthday pressie to myself. Yippee. I can now run a full length HST, ok not a TGS, but I'm after a representation, not perfection.

[smg id=9710]

What a fruitful new year it has been  :thankyousign: to the family...

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Croxy

If you like it run it......

scotsoft

You will be as happy as a pig in poo  :D

cheers John.

pape_timmo

Cheers gents, I'm a very happy chappie. Just gotta get on and build the layout, especially as my wife told me to stop buying models and get on building the scenery lol.

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

portland-docks

Quote from: gc4946 on January 09, 2014, 08:45:42 PM
Two Dapol Gresley teak carriages arrived in the post today, a BCK and TK.
They join my Dapol buffet car and two Minitrix corridor thirds with spindly truss rods to form a short set of Gresley corridor teak carriages, all based on preserved examples, but currently in varying states of repair.
This is my set if all of them were restored to their original condition, described from top to bottom (none of them have been re-numbered):

TK 1002 (SRPS, Bo'ness) (Minitrix)
TK 3291 (NYMR) (Minitrix)
Buffet car 641 (NYMR) (Dapol)
TK 23896 (NYMR) (Dapol)
BCK 24068 (Severn Valley) (Dapol)

where did you get the minitrix ones? i have the brake end one but i want a rake of the other ones to go with it.

iv got 9 dapol ones though for now :P
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

daveg

Quote from: portland-docks on January 20, 2014, 08:08:07 PM

I am not jealous
I am not jealous
I am not jealous  :envy:

Dave G

portland-docks

Quote from: daveg on January 20, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
Quote from: portland-docks on January 20, 2014, 08:08:07 PM

I am not jealous
I am not jealous
I am not jealous  :envy:

Dave G

haha unfortunatly iv got a problem with the NEM pocket on some of them so i have to try sort that out otherwise they keep uncoupling themselves, they all seem to be different heights, the three new ones are fine but these others, no idea

paul b
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations