An introduction, and a traction question!

Started by Blillpers, December 27, 2014, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blillpers

First of all, I really do have to say thank you to all of you for all the great answers. I have a much better understanding now. I've began ordering some coaches: MK1 RU/BG and MK3 FO/SO. Hoping to see the Graham Farish class 87 released sometime soon. As the budget allows I'm then going to expand my fleet based on all the suggestions in this thread.

One more question, regarding train formations. I guess the first class coaches were usually placed at the end of the train, but where should the restaurant be? In the middle of the train or between first and second class? Someone here said the BG was found at the London end of the train, however other sourches elsewhere says it should be the last car of the train, so that the guard could look forward and see the entire train while departing stations. I've found some 1980s footage from the WCML, but the quality is too low to make out any coach types.

:)
A Swede building a British model railway - please excuse any grammar mistakes as english isn't my native language!

Luke Piewalker

If you watch the youtube video embedded earlier in the thread you'll see a rake of mk 3s with a single BG van at the locomotive end. Buffet would normally be between first and second class.

Blillpers

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on December 29, 2014, 10:22:47 PM
If you watch the youtube video embedded earlier in the thread you'll see a rake of mk 3s with a single BG van at the locomotive end. Buffet would normally be between first and second class.

Thanks, I've somehow managed to miss that video clipp. Seems very interesting and useful!  :)
A Swede building a British model railway - please excuse any grammar mistakes as english isn't my native language!

crewearpley40

regarding train formations. the first class coaches were usually placed at the London end of the train

the restaurant car usually is In the middle of the train or between first and second class

Someone here said the BG was found at the London end of the train, however other sources may suggest adjacent to the loco, refer to pictures. I remember a Glasgow / Edinburgh - Liverpool / Manchester - class 86 hauled Glasgow - Liverpool, the diesel would bring 4 mk2s from Edinburgh to carstairs, the whole set would travel to preston, then a 47 would take the Manchester portion on. normally bg, 4 tso, buffet, first open the Liverpool part. may continue to Birmingham some services. the Manchester part would be bso, sk, tso

crewearpley40

please don't forget the mk1 full brake van in the set

Blillpers

I just wanted to know that I've started a new thread about my layout, here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25538.0

The first pieces of rolling stock just arrived: Mk1 Restaurant and Brake Guard. The rest should arrive next week, I had to shop from three different stores. Once again thank you all for the help! :)

LAandNQFan

:hellosign:
Congratulations on your determination to get the detail correct from the start.  :thumbsup:  Please take off the apology about possible bad grammar - your accuracy puts many of us to shame! :-[
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations