The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

Lets get one fact correctly put in place.

The Great Model Railway Competition is not produced by the same team or company that did The Great Glen Model Railway Challenge.

Some of the people taking part in this one may be some of those who took part in that challenge.

Thanks

Thanks
Phil Holman

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Philip. on September 23, 2018, 05:45:58 PM
The fact it's on Channel 5 tells you all you need to know  :sleep: :nerner: :D

Problem is if it were on a more popular/main stream channel it would be at some outlandish time when you're either at work or in bed and it would be dumbed down so that it counts as entertainment such that Joe and Jolene public might even watch it
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Skyline2uk

If I remember, I will give this a go.

I hope it is better at portraying the hobby than some programs have been, more like James May's programs than the Greatest Little Railway. Whilst the latter had its good points, it was undoubtedly hindered by the need to hype / create suspense where there isn't any.

What I really hope is that it isn't cast in the same mold as "Railways Live!" (or similar). The problem with that show can be summed up with the "!" in the title. The use of a "!", to suggest that it's "wild, crazy, funky, unpredictable fun" immediately puts my teeth on edge, and the spectacle of the presenter (already mentioned on this thread) getting all excited and animated about a bog-standard class 66 that happened to be near him Live(!) was too much.

This hobby is, as they say, a "broad church" and has nuanced preferences. Whilst some people do like the humble shed, others can't stand the things.

Therein lies the conundrum for shows about railways and model railways; you have to be top level enough to pull in the casual viewer and yet detailed enough to interest the actual members of the hobby without being specific enough to be dull for them as well!

Skyline2uk

Ted

I can't tell if they were all hosed down, but the advert looks 'fun' without being cringeworthy - which is promising indeed. 👍
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Bealman

That's what I thought. Looks like a bit of laugh without making me cringe.

I guess we'll see! (Not that I'm going to see it where I live)

NGS-PO

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Calnefoxile

Looking at the adverts, it seems to be being done in the same way as the Lego Masters prgramme on Channel 4 was done last year. I thoroughly enjoyed that and thought it was brilliant, the end results were fascinating, and I'm looking forward to this programme as well.

Cheers

Neal.

acko22

Quote from: ScottishModeller on September 23, 2018, 05:57:32 PM
Hi all,

Lets get one fact correctly put in place.

The Great Model Railway Competition is not produced by the same team or company that did The Great Glen Model Railway Challenge.

Some of the people taking part in this one may be some of those who took part in that challenge.

Thanks

I am glad it isn't the same it's not done by the same production company, the way the show came across well I didn't appreciate the way it was done. So hopefully it is different and actually if its produced anything like Paddington 24/7 then it will be well worth a watch.

As to the people taking part some of the same people may do and if it is then fair play to them hope they had fun making the show(s), I just thought that the previous mentioned show had a habit of concentrating on characters rather than the mixture of people.
And yes some of them who may be on this show may be some of the same people including ones who wouldn't be on my drinking buddies list, but like is every part of society there is an eclectic mix of people who are interested in model railways and long may it exists.

The adverts actually seem very tongue in cheeky and I do hope aspects of the show are like that!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Pjlons83

Quote from: Ali Smith on September 23, 2018, 08:47:15 AM
I doubt if they will deliberately hold us up to ridicule, my concern is that it seems to be some kind of competition, a race even. This is not what our hobby is about. If I wanted a competitive pastime I'd take up a sport and get some much needed exercise into the bargain.

They even have shot-clocks in indoor bowls now..... I think the time/stress/deadline element just adds to the viewer experience. Maybe I should have a timer and a deadline - that way I might actually finsh a project  :help:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Bealman

Like I say, Good ads.

Just wait and see how it pans out, I guess.

Pjlons83

I only seen the advert for it last night which prompted me to find this thread for more info. I'm looking forward to it. FWIW I enjoyed the Dick Strawbridge show too.  8)
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

daffy

Just watched this.  Some good modelling, but I'm exhausted by the frenetic pace and presentation.

I thought Railway modelling was a relaxing pastime?

Oh well, a bit of fun I suppose.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Dorsetmike

£ teams of what 5 or 6 with 3 days to build a layout, they're allowed to pre build up to 6 items, one team pushed their luck a bit and the judges warned them their idea of 6 prebuilds was not the same as the judges, 5 separate long rows of terrace houses  is not 1 item, they also had the station prebuilt also a dock scene with warehouses and  2 boats and a large back scene. I won't say who won in case some are watching it later.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations