Tiny TrackZ (our new game)

Started by zwilnik, July 29, 2015, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 01, 2015, 08:00:22 PM
Quote from: steve836 on August 01, 2015, 07:05:46 PM
Quote from: d-a-n on August 01, 2015, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: steve836 on August 01, 2015, 03:18:15 PM
but no good if you need the latest gizmo to access it.

We have the technology.

I don't

The thing is Steve, you're not exactly making a great case for it to be worth porting the game to the PC. Your implication is that you don't have a relatively modern PC, want one or spend much money on your current one and its software. Which doesn't make you a great potential customer for a games publisher.

I mean, it's great that you're bumping the post up so more potential players see the game we've written, but we all get your message "It doesn't work on my machine" already. Repeating it is hardly likely to make us think the PC market is worth bothering with ;)

Whilst I would be happy to pay £30 to £40 for a decent game I am not prepared to pay £500 for an i-pad so I can play a game. If it won't run on a PC it's no good for me!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

zwilnik

Quote from: steve836 on August 01, 2015, 08:50:42 PM
[
Whilst I would be happy to pay £30 to £40 for a decent game I am not prepared to pay £500 for an i-pad so I can play a game. If it won't run on a PC it's no good for me!

You made that point in your first post though. You didn't need to keep complaining about it every post someone makes. It's a game that's not available for your PC yet. It happens, move on. Nobody's forcing you to get an iPad or a Mac just so you can play it. Same as I don't comment in every other line of a thread on new DCC gear because I'm not interested in it.

zwilnik

Now the iOS version has been submitted, I can post some actual screenshots of the finished version :)

We've got 3 basic engine types in the initial version with a variety of liveries. Tiny is loosely based on the Peckett dock tank engine, but as an 0-6-0. Inspired by Penske666's thread and maridunian's posts of his models, I'm going to have a go at making a version of Tiny from one of the Minitrix T3 locos.

Sterling is based on the various saddle tanks that the GWR inherited.

and of course we've got the pannier tank. Currently in GWR, BR and 'rusty' liveries. We've actually got a London Transport one modelled but we're still waiting on a response from TfL on what we'll need to do for licensing from them.

Cab side view (camera views direction of travel).

Pengi

This looks excellent  :claphappy:Are you planning to introduce modern image trains in the future?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

zwilnik

Quote from: Pengi on August 03, 2015, 08:06:37 AM
This looks excellent  :claphappy:Are you planning to introduce modern image trains in the future?

Yup. The plan is that assuming the game's successful enough to pay the rent, we're going to keep adding to it. So far the plan for the first content update is for some German stock, including a diesel shunter and then see what the players ask for :)

Pengi

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 03, 2015, 08:11:29 AM

Yup. The plan is that assuming the game's successful enough to pay the rent, we're going to keep adding to it. So far the plan for the first content update is for some German stock, including a diesel shunter and then see what the players ask for :)
Good news!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 03, 2015, 08:11:29 AM

I can tell you now that THIS player will be wanting  (at least) a D95XX, Hymek, Class 22 and a Warship please, before we go any further  :drool:! Given the way some threads go on this site I doubt I'll be alone.
Thanks,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

zwilnik

Quote from: Only Me on August 03, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
I agree with what he said but a Western :)

PS I cant find it in the app store yet?

It's not out yet :) it was submitted to the App Store on Saturday so it's awaiting approval and has a launch date of August 13th.

We're going to focus on shunters initially (I want a gronk and Adam's a fan of the 02 ) but I'd like to get some of the bigger diesels in for the train set part of the game.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Only Me on August 03, 2015, 11:30:17 AM
I agree with what he said but a Western :)

PS I cant find it in the app store yet?

:laugh3:  I agree but deliberately left the Western out - such a loco should be on main line work, not menial duties like shunting in a dock yard, don't you think  :-\?

zwilnik

Definitely main line but as the game has a Train Set mode, nothing stopping us putting the larger engines in for that ;)

Just did some searching and the D95XX is the Class 14 isn't it? If so that's another candidate for the earlier diesels. (Especially as body shape wise it's not a million miles away from some of the German shunters)

d-a-n

The milk tanker looks a lot like the Isle of Sodor/Thomas milk tanker wagon - could you introduce a small blue 0-6-o tank loco...?

zwilnik

Quote from: d-a-n on August 03, 2015, 12:09:03 PM
The milk tanker looks a lot like the Isle of Sodor/Thomas milk tanker wagon - could you introduce a small blue 0-6-o tank loco...?

There is one but it's one of the small Peckett types and definitely not called Thomas as that would cost us way too much ;)

d-a-n

I imagine the licensing for an official product would be horrendous - the official little blue loco still manages to pull in the £££!

zwilnik

Quote from: d-a-n on August 03, 2015, 02:26:28 PM
I imagine the licensing for an official product would be horrendous - the official little blue loco still manages to pull in the £££!

It's a BBC one too, so they tend to go for a lot more. Just licensing Thomas to use on a heritage line for official Thomas days costs megabucks :)

We're actually looking at doing a specific kids version of Tiny TrackZ with our own character engines at some point.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 03, 2015, 12:03:27 PM
Definitely main line but as the game has a Train Set mode, nothing stopping us putting the larger engines in for that ;)

Just did some searching and the D95XX is the Class 14 isn't it? If so that's another candidate for the earlier diesels. (Especially as body shape wise it's not a million miles away from some of the German shunters)

Yes, indeed it is. Also called the 'Teddy Bear' but quite how that name came about is uncertain.
Two main theories exist - one that a works foreman in Swindon, approaching retirement, complained that he had started his career as an apprentice working on the GWR "Great Bear" loco and was finishing it by working on toy "Teddy Bears".
The other is that, seen head on, the cab windows look a little like the ears of a Teddy Bear toy.
As to the number the Class 14 is a TOPS number while the D95XX was the loco running number sequence and, as such, follows former GWR practise, for examples the 64XX panniers or 60XX Kings.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations