Recommend a courier??

Started by Newportnobby, March 15, 2019, 11:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I need to get some stuff to @Tank for the Riddlesdown show which is a mixture of breakable and non breakable and of different sizes. In an ideal world I'd like to take the stuff to a carrier, get them to pack it securely (I haven't got a clue what size box I'd need) and get it away to him.
Recommendations please?

Buffin

There are firms which parcel up auction lots and send them by courier. Obviously the cost depends on size, fragility etc. Not cheap, but maybe worth pricing up.

Most auctioneers outsource despatch to firms like that. If you go on the web sites of auctioneers in your area, you could see who they use and then contact the firms direct. Or perhaps your local branch of Mailboxes Etc could help? https://www.mbe.co.uk/

I guess it might shave something off the price if you could take the items to them.Good hunting :)

dannyboy

Reading some of the posts about courier companies on the forum lately, you might be better delivering the parcel yourself.  ;)
@Newportnobby
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mr Sprue

I use good old Royal Mail they cant be beat for their service, an example: A parcel Max length: 61cm
Max width: 46cm Max depth: 46cm Max weight: 2kg, covered for up to £2500 for loss or damage costs only £14.00 to send by tracked special delivery.

In the business I am in and the value of the parcels I send its peace of mind to use a service as good as this!

Hope that input helps!  ;)

Newportnobby

@Buffin  Thanks for that. There's a branch in Preston and I have their number now.
@dannyboy That's why I was asking! Read too many horror stories :worried:
@Mr Sprue Thanks for that, Dave.

The merchandise is currently packed in a thick polystyrene box as used by traders in aquaria etc and measures 23" x 15" x 15". Think I might have to weigh it too. It may survive one trip with a decent courier but any maltreatment and it's likely to explode and scatter the contents all over the place :worried:

crewearpley40

i would attach LABELS WITH VERY FRAGILE WRITTEN ON

dannyboy

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 15, 2019, 09:09:27 PM
i would attach LABELS WITH VERY FRAGILE WRITTEN ON

And reading the label on the side you could also add "Warning - contains Piranha fish. Damage this parcel and they bite!"   :smiley-laughing:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Buffin

@Newportnobby

I mentioned in another thread that I'd bought something in auction and it was packaged and sent by a third party. It arrived yesterday, collected and well packed by http://www.jentelpacking.co.uk/, who then sent it via their own choice of courier. Not cheap, but I have no argument with the quality of the service.

Newportnobby

@Buffin Thanks again, but looking at their website collection areas they don't operate 'oop North'

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 15, 2019, 09:43:06 PM
@Buffin Thanks again, but looking at their website collection areas they don't operate 'oop North'

Hmmm, perhaps they've heard it's grim.

Sorry, not helpful, I'll leave now.

For my money I'd go with DPD, but that's based on my experience in North Oxfordshire.

Good luck.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

trkilliman

Having previously spent nearly two decades in a Royal Mail sorting office, and a big one, I have tended to be loyal to them when sending stuff...until recent times.

When we moved to Falmouth 12 years back there was 4 Post Office counters, now there is just one at the back of a convienence store. You invariably need to pay for parking as it is in the middle of town. As a consequence I post next to nothing nowadays whereas I sold a lot on ebay using R/M's signed for service.

I recently bought some tropical fish from a dealer in Glasgow...a long way from West Cornwall!  They were sent overnight via UPS tracked and the carriage cost was £15. Posted in Glasgow around mid day and with me in Cornwall 10am next morning. With UPS you can take your package to a larger Sainsbury's store or a network of Newsagents, from where UPS will collect it. Their website has the details.

The now privatised Royal Mail are no longer the public service we have grown up with, and this comes from former colleagues now on the management side. My loyalty to my old employer has worn thin as they have made it increasingly difficult to post items through relentless counter closures (assett stripping?)

It certainly will not get any better, as I am told (from very reliable sources) they are strongly considering combining delivery offices and selling off closed ones, often in areas with lucrative land/property prices. If your Postie leaves a P739 as you were not home you may end up travelling some distance to collect it...time will tell.

DPD is another courier that have delivered packages to me in a good time frame, but one I would avoid with a barge pole is Hermes. I found them pathetically slow in transit times and usually delivered by an un-uniformed random type person who doesn't seek a signature. I once thought I had Vicky Pollard of Little Britain fame on my doorstep for Hermes...complete in shellsuit and battered Ford Sierra!  I'm certainly not against anyone earning a crust, but a tad of credibility would be re-assuring.

I would/will still use Royal Mail, but there are now a couple of other very able kids on the block who can make posting the item more accesible as Royal Mail continue to close counters.

Mr Sprue

Didn't realise you were sending live stock ???.

I guess you may have probably already enquired, but have you asked at your local aquarium shop to see who they use? 

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mr Sprue on March 16, 2019, 07:46:00 AM
Didn't realise you were sending live stock ???.

I guess you may have probably already enquired, but have you asked at your local aquarium shop to see who they use?

@Mr Sprue
I'm not sending anything alive, Dave. It's just something I had to hand and it might, just might, be a bit stronger than a mere cardboard box dependent on the handling it gets. The shop where I purloined the box used them to transport/collect fish as they have their own van.

Tank

Wow, I only asked for an NGF postcard!   :o    ;D

Mr Sprue

LOL... this tread has taken direction up an unexpected branch line!  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations