Shunter

Started by meddyliol, January 22, 2022, 12:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meddyliol

I am looking for a 'shunter' or something like. A Graham Farish Jinty would be OK but cannot find one for sale. Can anyone recommend something else? Preferably steam but diesel would be OK too.

Thanks

Brian

Newportnobby

Depends if you're modelling any particular location........

Southern
Terrier
M7 (new version due from Dapol very soon)

Western
Virtually any pannier
class 56xx
class 45xx
Class 14 diesel

Midland (apart from Jinty)
Std 3MT
Ivatt 2MT

North Eastern
J50 (on the go with Sonic)
Class 20 diesel

Probably the most widespread were the early small diesel shunters like the class 03, 04 and particularly the class 08

meddyliol

Are Dapol an OK company?

ntpntpntp

I assume you're looking for British N ?

As a modeller of German railways and running traditional DC one of my favourite diesel shunters is the Minitrix version of the V60 (as per my profile photo).  The original 1970s model was a bit "graunchy" but the retooled models have had flywheels for 20 years or more, very smooth and reliable.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ntpntpntp

Quote from: meddyliol on January 22, 2022, 03:16:06 PM
Are Dapol an OK company?

As always that's a matter of opinion.  Sometimes they seem to generate a little more negative comment than others, but I'm sure there are a vast majority of satisfied customers.  Remember you only tend to read the really good and really bad experiences people have with any brand.

The Terrier is a nice little model.   The original M7 was criticised for poor haulage and poor slow speed, but is being re-tooled.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Markthetog

Ron Lines has 2 Jintys (Jinties?  :D ) for sale at reasonable prices

https://www.ronlines.com/pre-owned.html

richmodels

Quote from: meddyliol on January 22, 2022, 03:16:06 PM
Are Dapol an OK company?

I'd argue they have improved a lot in the last 3 years or so - certainly on the diesel and electric front

Some of the older Dapol efforts you can understand why they are noticeably cheaper than Farish equivalents
Frequent railway modeller, and infrequent n gauge modelling blogger

meddyliol

Have just ordered a Dapol Maunsell Coach Set 394 Maunsell Green (3)and a Graham Farish Class 57/3 57315 Arriva Trains Wales (Trenau Arriva Cymru) Diesel Locomotive. Not a shunter maybe but at least it's got a welsh name on it. The coaches are for another train I have (steam). My only possible issue is because I am new to all of this, I should have checked first if the couplings are compatible between Dapol and Farish. Also, the coaches have the facility to have a light bar fitted which would be nice. I do not know if this only works on DCC as I (at the moment) will only be using DC.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Brian   :confusedsign:

Markthetog

Brian
Yes the standard couplings are compatible and yes the Light Bars work on DC as long as the train is moving. The difference is that on DCC the lights stay on all the time.

Bealman

Yes, Dapol and Farish couplings are compatible. They are the Rapido coupling, which came about during the early days of commercial N gauge.

Not necessarily the best, but they are standard.

There is much info and discussion about couplings on this forum.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

meddyliol

Appreciate that. If not the best what are, and are they changeable?
Quote from: Markthetog on January 23, 2022, 08:00:56 AM
Brian
Yes the standard couplings are compatible and yes the Light Bars work on DC as long as the train is moving. The difference is that on DCC the lights stay on all the time.
Thanks, might get some for my wife  :laughabovepost:

Markthetog

That's a question without a definite answer! Have a look at the Coupling section of the Forum and you'll see what I mean. Yes, it's that much of a debate the subject has its own category!

Dapol supply some alternative Knuckle couplings with the set - they just clip in and out - which along with the corridor connectors produce a beautiful fixed rake of coaches. I use those between the coaches and have other couplings at either end to connect to locos etc. If your set is going to stay on the layout I'd give that a try.

Alternatively just keep the coaches standard, they work perfectly well like that.

meddyliol

Thanks Mark, didn't realise alternative couplings come with the coaches etc.

Newportnobby

Quote from: meddyliol on January 23, 2022, 07:53:04 AM
Have just ordered a Dapol Maunsell Coach Set 394 Maunsell Green (3)

They have an innovative pull out corridor connection system but be careful in using it as I pulled one right out and had to send it off to Dapol for repair :-[

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations