Hidden text on www.ngaugeforum.co.uk?

Started by RST, December 30, 2013, 03:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RST

Anyone noticed there's the following text on the webpage before you get redirected to the forum...

QuotePlease sign up for news, advice and to show off your layout! N Gauge Forum, 2mm Association, N Gauge, N Gauge Layout, n gauge layouts, n gauge train sets, n gauge track plans, n gauge locomotives, graham farish n gauge, peco n gauge, hornby n gauge, dapol n gauge, Dapol, Grafar, Farish, Graham Farish, Bachmann, 9mm, 1:148, Railway Modeller, Arnold, Hornby, Peco, Minitrix, Kato, Pico, Roco, Fleischmann, Bachmann, Atlas, Greenmax, Tomytec, Tomix,

...it's white text on a white background on my screen, I only noticed it when I randomly clicked on the top area.  What's it for?  Is it supposed to be visible?

Rabs

It's standard practice to put keywords that you think people might search for somewhere on the first page of a website.  That makes it easy for Google and other search engines to find your site and put it somewhere near the top of the results list for people searching for those terms.
There's an entire profession of people who do SEO (search engine optimisation) and this is just one of the many, many tricks of their trade.

Tank

Damn, you've found out the secret part of the website!!!  :D  Rabs has explained it perfectly.

CarriageShed

What you should have done was to scroll down further, to the incantations involving chicken and modeller's blood to ensure a fully working layout... ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Pete33 on December 30, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
What you should have done was to scroll down further, to the incantations involving chicken and modeller's blood to ensure a fully working layout... ;)

That bit was written by Ozzie Osborn :laugh3:

RST

Did not know the hidden text thing though I know there's lots of 'tinternet programmer tricks.  Not sure what purpose the first page does anyway? Maybe there should be something funny on there a the bottom?

Tank

It's a work in progress....although there is nothing to show yet.  Time is not my friend, but I'll get around to it eventually with a little help from Emanuelle - who knows everything about SMF (the software for the main forum)!  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations