GWR O.13 Milk Brake

Started by EtchedPixels, March 01, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstone

Got mine today Alan - will have a closer look after the weekend

Many thanks

Alex

GerryB

Mine arrived this morning Alan, thanks. Looking forward to making a start.

Gerry

painbrook

Got mine this morning, is there someone thinking of doing a tutorial?, I for one (being the forum dummy) :laugh3: would welcome it. Cheers john.

Karhedron

I am itching to get started on mine but our house is currently having an extension and resembles a building site. I think I may have to wait until the works are done before I can get near my modelling desk.

If you can wait until then, I will be happy to post a "how to" guide (or possibly a "how not to" if I make a mess of it ;) ).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

GrahamB

Mine arrived safely yesterday as well  :thankyousign:

It's going to be the first time I've attempted something like this (That's why I ordered two) so some sort of photo/video tutorial would be brilliant please :photospleasesign:
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

AC

Mine's arrived safely today. It'll probably stay in the box for a while before I start on it aswell due to not having done any kits with brass before. I've also got a number of other kits to do first aswell...
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

Swamprat33

Hi Alan, are there any of the O.13 milk brakes still available.

I would love to get hold of one if possible.

Cheers
Tim

EtchedPixels

I don't know if Ntastic has any left otherwise you may have to wait until anther batch gets done - probably next year.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Gooner1953

Not having built an N gauge kit in aeons, I’ve ordered a couple of ‘starter’ kits off Etched Pixels this morning. Alan recommended the Midland 6 wheelers, of which I’ve ordered 1, and the Corringham Railway 4 wheeler as being good ‘starter’ kits.

What I really wanted to know was how everyone (or anyone!) is getting on with the Milk Brake. Anyone built there copy? I would love to see some photos or, even better, a blow by blow account of the build…

Nick

Karhedron

Mine is currently on hold. We have the builders in and I don't really have anywhere to work at the moment. I have had a look and both the bodyshell and the overlays look nice and crisp, should go together well when the time comes.

Sadly the Farish 4-wheel chassis is a bit long. The wheelbase should be right so I need to decide whether I cut down the chassis or do a cut-n-shut of 2 peco wagon chasis to get the righ size. I will probably try the former first as the wheelbase is right and I already have one.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Gooner1953

Quote from: Karhedron on June 13, 2013, 11:49:26 AM
Sadly the Farish 4-wheel chassis is a bit long. The wheelbase should be right so I need to decide whether I cut down the chassis or do a cut-n-shut of 2 peco wagon chasis to get the righ size. I will probably try the former first as the wheelbase is right and I already have one.

I think that given your comment about the 4-wheel chassis, I'll wait until you've had a crack at youirs first! Anychance that you can do a blow by blow tutorial? In the meantime I'll content myself with the 2 'starter' kits that Alan has pointed me at and get some more if needs be....

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Karhedron on June 13, 2013, 11:49:26 AM

Remember to allow for the thickness of the overlays and glue in the length. Plus the fact the buffer beam sticks out a tiny bit on the real thing too.

I have one to build at some point (dunno when as its a bit chaotic here) but I'll try and take photos of it as I do it.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

GrahamB

With some hesitation, here's my first completed Milk Brake.

This is my first attempt at working with brass and I'm glad I've got two kits. I've used a Farish underframe and it is at least 2-3mm too long. Next time I'll cut the underframe down.

If I'm feeling brave enough I'll give it an airing on Southbridge at TINGS.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Richard G Dallimore

Take it to TINGS and run it, it looks great. Show off you kit building, we are all certain we can no better next time, but that does not mean the first attempt is not good enough to show off.

Enjoy TINGS.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

painbrook

Good for you Graham, as the man says take it to TINGS, you know you want to. Let us all know how you get on. Cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations