People

Started by cycletrak9, August 31, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Piewalker

With my hypothetical single articulated leg man, you could have the moving magnet describe a circle around the end fixed magnet and the little man would pivot around his articulated leg which would then resume it's swinging from magnet to magnet motion back down the row of fixed magnets...  :laugh2:

guest311

Quote from: Trev on September 01, 2013, 03:00:52 PM
Any one remember Micheal Benteen's Potty Time on TV many years ago.

He always did some sort of scene in a sandbox where you could see footprints appearing when characters were supposed to be walking.

and the springboard bending under the weight of the 'diver'  :bounce:

they don't make TV like that any more, perhaps they should rather than some of the drivel thats on there now.

cycletrak9

Quote from: class37025 on September 01, 2013, 09:20:53 PM
Quote from: Trev on September 01, 2013, 03:00:52 PM
Any one remember Micheal Benteen's Potty Time on TV many years ago.

He always did some sort of scene in a sandbox where you could see footprints appearing when characters were supposed to be walking.

and the springboard bending under the weight of the 'diver'  :bounce:

they don't make TV like that any more, perhaps they should rather than some of the drivel thats on there now.

Was it Potty Time or It's a Square World?

guest311

Jerry Howlett

I think it began on "Its a square world" and years later became potty time. Why do I remember stuff like this but forget where I put my car keys ?
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Geoff

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on September 01, 2013, 09:51:24 PM
I think it began on "Its a square world" and years later became potty time. Why do I remember stuff like this but forget where I put my car keys ?

Oh hec was that Michael Bentine.

Michael Bentine's Potty time
Geoff

Newportnobby

Lots of Michael Bentine clips on YouTube but I can't find any of the 'flea' ones :(

lil chris

I couldn't find  any too, but did find phil cool doing the aquaphibian sketch, forgot about that one.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Rabs

Quote from: dodger112958 on August 31, 2013, 10:05:38 PM
I would sooner have long suffering passengers who never board a train.

Well, you are modelling BR so if I were you I'd just claim that it's prototypical. ;)

Trev

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on September 01, 2013, 09:51:24 PM

Likewise  ;D ;D
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

cycletrak9

Thanks for all the replies.

I raised the subject to see what the general feeling was and it seems to be that we should be restrained in the placing of figures and avoid too many "action" placings. I suppose that the situation will be governed by the nature of the layout.The sleepy country branch line will need fewer people than a busy city terminus. It's probable also that an exhibition layout can justify cameo groupings to give the spectators some focal points.

A layout without people would be unnatural [Midwich Cuckoos?] and all the classic layouts in all scales have been populated to a greater or lesser degree.

Newportnobby

The 'North of England Line' layout features the classic Abbey Road album cover - John, Paul, George and Ringo crossing a zebra crossing in their town scene ;D

EtchedPixels

Quote from: cycletrak9 on September 03, 2013, 09:29:34 PM
A layout without people would be unnatural [Midwich Cuckoos?] and all the classic layouts in all scales have been populated to a greater or lesser degree.

You never visited Whatstandwell in the 1970s then.

There are lots of shots of Beeching era branch lines where the only way you know anyone is present is that the photographer must have been there.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

jamie

Maybe I'm over thinking this... But there might be a way to incorporate the "Pepper's Ghost" illusion in certain circumstances.

The principle can be seen in this video of a lego display which I found on you tube. By using a sheet of glass reflecting a monitor you can superimpose graphics over a model.

There is no reason this couldn't be adapted to model railway use, although the circumstances you could use it in would be quite limited...

Lego Star Wars Special Effects
murderonthetracks.co.uk - a model railway inspired by the works of Agatha Christie!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations