Fuel prices

Started by Newportnobby, March 08, 2022, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Safety Engineer

We've just had our estimated gas/electric bills for next year, gas +£490,electric +£295. Methinks have to consider what trains I can afford if any, as food bills are also going up.
Martin

GAD

One of my sons works all over the country, they fill the works vans on the firm's card. He's just come up from Skeggy to Co' Durham in a convoy of vans. One needed diesel on the motorway, cost £2-02/litre!!!!!!! :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: Locally we are seeing well over £1.60/l but on the motorway they have you over a barrel of oil, so to speak.

Newportnobby

When I was a sales manager we were told never to fill up at motorway services.
Anyone found doing so had to pay the extra out of their own pocket. A very quick learning curve!!

Trainfish

Quote from: daffy on March 11, 2022, 07:56:01 AM
Ho ho! So do I!  :-[:doh:

Original post now corrected by careful movement of the errant decimal point.

Thanks Chris.  :thumbsup:

Don't worry, either the oil companies or the government will soon move the decimal point back for you  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

chrism

Quote from: GAD on March 11, 2022, 02:58:34 PM
One of my sons works all over the country, they fill the works vans on the firm's card. He's just come up from Skeggy to Co' Durham in a convoy of vans. One needed diesel on the motorway, cost £2-02/litre!!!!!!! :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: Locally we are seeing well over £1.60/l but on the motorway they have you over a barrel of oil, so to speak.

I've just had to pay 176.7p/litre - luckily I had to take someone out of town which took me past a filling station that's usually cheaper than the only one that's actually in town, that wants 179.9p, so twas worth filling up at the other one.

guest311

sorry, but just filled up with diesel at our local Tesco @ £1:66.9p per litre.

and why .9p, can you get.1p change.......

yet another con

daffy

Perhaps this thread could be renamed to suit our present and future inflationary lives. :hmmm:

We could just re-title it "Up!"  :D

That way we can chat away about the current and future increases in vehicle fuel, heating fuel, electricity, gas, food, Covid, all manner of goods and services - and whatever else we will certainly find to include - under a unifying banner.

We could even include balloons. ;) :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: daffy on March 11, 2022, 06:24:58 PM
We could even include balloons. ;) :D

And large chickens!  :thumbsup:

PLD

Unleaded (E10) at one supermarket in Hull today £1.589/litre, but oddly the E5 'Super Unleaded' has gone up by much less and at £1.63.9 the gap is now down to 5p/litre from the usual 8-9p...

As my car does at least 5% more MPG on Super, that has become significantly cheaper in pence per mile...

[the BP garage 2 miles up the road was however £1.699 & £ £1.819 !  :goggleeyes: ]

gc4946

Looking at prices in my locality, it's cheaper to fill up at a supermarket than an oil company's petrol station.
I wonder how many of us are cutting back on unnecessary journeys to save fuel?
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Trainfish

This guy isn't cutting back, just doing things a little differently:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

railsquid

Quote from: Trainfish on March 11, 2022, 02:06:47 AM
I paid, well, the company did, £1.79.9 per litre on Thursday  :goggleeyes:

They're reintroduced pounds/shillings/pence already?  :goggleeyes:

chrism

Quote from: gc4946 on March 11, 2022, 08:44:56 PM
Looking at prices in my locality, it's cheaper to fill up at a supermarket than an oil company's petrol station.

Around here, if only. It's a 50+ mile round trip to a supermarket with a filling station.

It's rather ironic when, sometimes, my local Tesco dishes out fuel discount vouchers - when they don't have a filling station there. I'd spend more than the discount just going to use them.
I do save them up, though, just in case I get a voluntary transport booking that takes me close to the supermarket filling station.

The Q

Our car particularly doesn't like E10, we find it more economical to use E5 premium fuel.

Luckily our small Tesco does have a PFS. The Tesco in-store name for fillings stations is PFS.
At one time Tesco used to do a free booklet of all their stores, which included which stores had PFSs . That was heavily used until it finally fell apart. Now I have to pre search online for fuel stations to go just off major A roads and motorways.

Once retired I'll be going to more distant model railway shows, we've lost a lot of shows permanently in Norfolk, so travelling in different directions to our previous routes, a new list of cheap refueling sites will need to be developed.

daffy

My wife travelled a lot for her job and found that Tesco stores booklet invaluable. Hers too eventually fell apart but the remnants are still in the glove box of our car.

For fuel prices we have used the free app https://www.petrolprices.com/ in the past, but living in the country 15 miles from the nearest supermarket and doing a very low annual mileage compared to pre-retirement has meant it has little value to us these days.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations