Personalising your layout

Started by Alex, July 01, 2011, 06:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi,

We all have our own resaons for having the layouts we build and operate. Does anyone add a personal touch to their layout, such as adding local wagons or vehicles, even though technically, they would not have operated in the area modelled?

I always remember the coal trucks that used to deliver the coal to the ex-miners in our street. I wanted one for my layout but as none were available I scratchbuilt one from a Bedford MK. I have also re-lettered some wagons to represent some local companies. I even scratchbuilt a 6 wheel NBR floor cloth wagon even though my layout doesn't represent the local area. By doing this I now have vehicles/wagons that are one offs and not likely to be seen on any other layout.

Alex

port perran

I don't add that personal touch.....at the moment.
But it's a great idea - I like it.
Food for thought.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Lawrence

Yet again Alex, I am amzaed at your modelling skills, that would be exceptional in OO, but in N  :o :o

Daveglan

Alex, that coal wagon is a class act!

Dave

Richard G Dallimore

Really good coal truck. You are very skilled modeller.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Alex

Hi,

Thanks. Not sure if it would look ok in OO. I think in N Gauge you can get away with, 'that's close enough for me' attitude.

Maybe you don't need a coal truck. But if you alter the rear mechanism slightly and paint it yellow you have a Council gritter. How many of you have a small council depot on your layout? This style of hopper body is also used on some types of trucks that are used for painting road markings.

Alex

longbridge

I name shops and factories after friends and family if that can be counted.

An example is SWMBO is a cleanliness nut so I named a business "Patricia's Cleaning Service". on the other hand we have a very untidy Daughter in Law so I name a business "Sue's Trash and Treasure".
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations