Thoughts on eras

Started by Dorsetmike, January 11, 2018, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on January 11, 2018, 04:28:47 PM
A number of locomotives including a Caledonian single and a Highland Jones goods and a Great North of Scotland Railway 'F' Class were all active in Scotland on rail tours from 1958 to mid sixties , but none of these would have enough support for manufacture
Hornby did the Caledonian single, IIRC. So never say never.

But probably say never  ;)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Mr chapman

Im 32 and model the southern at grouping. Bit of odd one the southern region. Because of the commitment to 3rd rail a lot of the steam locos lasted a lot longer than they otherwise would have on the other regions. So most models would suit the BR period. However I would love to see something like a LSWR A12 produced. I think they were withdrawn as BR came in but wouldn't be surprised if one had BRITISH RAILWAYS applied.
DCC southern modeller

Dorsetmike

Of the Adams A!2s 20 were withdrawn in 1946/7, &  the last 4 were withdrawn in 1948 but never carried BR numbers nor livey  618 Jan '48, 636 Oct '48 and 627 & 629 in Dec 48

For full list of withdrawals see http://www.semgonline.com/steam/a12class_01.html

This is my scratch brass built attempt, Union Mills tender drive, loco currently on the bench

A scratch brass ex LSWR Drummond K10
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Karhedron

Quote from: railsquid on January 11, 2018, 02:10:58 PM
I'm by no means an expert on steam of any kind but one thing that did surprise me when digging through Wikipedia is just how many classes of pre-grouping locomotives, some dating from the (very) late 19th century, made it through to early BR days.

The depression of the 1930s followed by WW2 meant that a lot of old locos simply had to be kept going in order to keep services running. With little new money, it was very much as case of "make do and mend". The BR standards generally saw off the last of the pre-grouping locos during the 1950s although some truly vintage locos such as the LBSCR Terriers made it all the way through to 1963 before the final members were withdrawn.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations