Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Cool. There's nowt wrong with that at all.  :beers:

@silly moo  has a good response here too.

Looking forward to further news!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Limachild1978

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 10, 2020, 10:22:45 AM
I have a lima class 31 unashamedly but it was a gift when I was young, albeit 5,
I had to say glad when farish came into my knowledge .
I knew of other makes at the time, (have a Hornby Minitrix N506 BR 8 Wheel Bogie Ballast Coal Wagon and 2 x Peco 7 Plank Open Coal Wagon 'Hood & Son' in Green). Went for Lima as they were probably cheaper!

Bealman

Well I'd be keeping them, buddy, but looking seriously at the new stuff.  :thumbsup:

railsquid

Quote from: silly moo on July 10, 2020, 10:32:03 AM
I have a Lima Deltic that I keep to remind me of how much the quality of N gauge rolling stock has improved  :D

This should be a legal requirement for all N gauge modellers  :thumbsup:

I do keep a Lima Mk1 on the layout-under-construction as it's excellent for checking how level the track is.

Gizzy

Although I have had some N gauge British Railways stuff since the 80's, it was the release of Kato's Swiss Glacier Express and RhB stock that has brought me back into the fold.

I have G scale and I got interested in European railways, but LGB RhB stuff was, and still is, way above my pay grade!

The Rhaetian Bahn has become my favourite railway. Although very modern image, it also still has wagon load freight and heritage stock, along with incredible infrastructure and scenery which can't be beat.

Being metre (narrow) gauge, it still looks prototypical, even on Kato's train set 6 inch (150 mm) curves and products from Faller, Kibri and Noch for European buildings and bridges are easily obtainable from most model shops or Gaugemaster....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Red Onion

When I was a teenager, I got into the hobby (my old man modelled OO in the loft) and I managed to make a small double oval track with sidings in N due to space, procuring a class 159 and 47 with a few wagons.  It was essentially a small bedroom layout.  I fell out of love with the hobby through my later teenage years but early twenties saw a resurgence of interest.  Now that I own my own place, I've set about building a proper layout.  Whilst I have space for, say, OO I would be limited to short trains and limited operations.  N gives me the opportunity for full length trains and more operating potential.  Plus I also have some stock ready to go!  Now I just need to get started on the building...

PGN

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 10, 2020, 10:06:07 AM
I have a host of unboxed Lima MK1 coaches which are probably worthless now. I've taken them to a couple of meet ups but no one's interested in them. Chances are they'll be heading for the bin.

Lima Mk 1 bogies are what you need if you're going to build a Highfield NER clerestory coach kit ... just saying!
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

crewearpley40

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 10, 2020, 10:06:07 AM
I have a host of unboxed Lima MK1 coaches which are probably worthless now. I've taken them to a couple of meet ups but no one's interested in them. Chances are they'll be heading for the bin.
I would put a for sale sign up in the n porium

Foxhound

Space and the desire to run reasonable length trains....
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

c6250

My father bought two sets of Marklin HO in the early seventies and I was hooked ever since.  The cost of rolling stock was (and still is)way too high to afford.  I tried two rail dc OO when I studied in the UK but the cost was still too high. Then I discovered KATO , it was hailed ' Rolls Royce quality  at Ford price.', and C62 was an engine caught my attention. I sold all my OO stuffs and switched to n ever since.
Besides, it is easy to hide a/several  rolling stocks in my super market bag  when going home.

ImpInaBox

Quote from: c6250 on July 23, 2020, 10:35:58 AM
Besides, it is easy to hide a/several  rolling stocks in my super market bag  when going home.
Your supermarket sells N gauge???  I wanna go there!    :bounce:
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

ImpInaBox

I had a Triang trainset as a kid and it grew to the point of going all the way round my bedroom floor on the three or four occasions each year when I set it up.  The current addiction started after a visit to the Newark Air Museum last year and, as usual, you had to exit throught gift shop where a 1:48 Spitfire kit found it's way home with me - another first since childhood!  That led to more WWII aircraft kits, a rapidly diminishing amount of space to show them off and an increasingly worried Mrs Imp.

Model railways appeared to offer a solution to the modelling urge that would occupy a finite space and provide some play value - for my growing brood of grandsprogs of course!   :no:   N gauge seemed offer the biggest bang per sq.ft and enough ready-to-run stock to get me started.  A few visits to exhibitions showed me what could be achieved in a small scale.  A year or so later I've learned some expensive and time consuming lessons but still having great fun.   :NGaugersRule:
Mike

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

Current layout project: Halfway - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48537.0

Webbo

You'll also find that N modelling is more expensive per square foot than is OO/HO and larger scales.

Webbo

Bealman

Especially if you derail a whole train of expensive wagons!

Sorry, insider joke  :thumbsup:

Limachild1978

Just checked my Lima controller and locomotive and they worked briefly. The loco is fine (according to the 9v battery trick I saw elsewhere on the forum) so must be the controller. Sealed unit, so not going to bother having a look. Pleased that it still works though.  :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations