Resources for finding what rolling stock is available

Started by gavin_t, November 06, 2019, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maridunian

We need what librarians call a 'Union Catalogue' which aggregates multiple collections. In our context that means not having to know the manufacturer first, you just search for "BR Mk. 1 Coach", "GWR Fruit", etc, and get results across all suppliers.

As mentioned, RTR models are well covered, but also quite well known. It's the kits that are often the unknown unknowns.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Bealman

Up until a couple of years ago, I bought "Britain's model railways" published annually by Model Rail magazine, and available from newsagents.

I thought it was very good, covering every gauge, locos, wagons and coaches. There were reviews of each model, too.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: RailGooner on November 06, 2019, 08:52:49 PM
Quote from: gavin_t on November 06, 2019, 01:49:46 PM
Other then going and buying manufactures catalogs is there any other way to determine what is available off the shelf.

If you want to know what's available today, you'll need 2014's catalogues! :D

Tell that to the A/C Mk2s in my 2014 Farish catalogue...

railsquid

maridunian

Quote from: railsquid on November 06, 2019, 10:12:42 PM
FWIW I have a list of lists (possibly incomplete) here.

Thank you - that seems very comprehensive!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

gavin_t

Quote from: Karhedron on November 06, 2019, 02:17:21 PM
Dapol produce a nice class 56 in Railfreight Sector livery. I can't see one in Petroleum sector livery but you would always put transfers on a Construction sector one. Farish are producing 37 428 'DAVID LLOYD GEORGE' BR Petroleum sector livery. It is not available yet but if you are willing to wait, it will fit the bill when it (finally) arrives. They are also doing 31 319 in this livery but again, it is not out yet.

Farish do a Class 60 in petrol sector livery but this is a slightly older model which does not include features like a DCC socket. I don't know how important this would be to you.

Thanks for the info. The 31 could be of interest.

I have seen Class 60 Charles Babbage but as you say is not DCC ready. I have sent an enquiry to a company to get a cost for conversion and to see if it was worth while.
If not I am wondering if a class 47 in the rail freight distribution livery would fit my needs as GF do a nice DCC model. Just unsure of the loads the distribution ones would be pulling and if a rake of tankers would ever be seen behind one...

Karhedron

Quote from: gavin_t on November 07, 2019, 09:48:30 AM
If not I am wondering if a class 47 in the rail freight distribution livery would fit my needs as GF do a nice DCC model. Just unsure of the loads the distribution ones would be pulling and if a rake of tankers would ever be seen behind one...

Distribution ones tended to handle things like container traffic. However as always, locos were sent where they were needed. I would not be surprised if one hauled tankers at some point, even if just covering for a breakdown.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

gavin_t

Quote from: njee20 on November 06, 2019, 03:09:10 PM
As Karhedron said, Farish do a petroleum 60, it need a chip soldering into it (the early variant of Farish's "DCC ready"), but it's not too bad. And yes, there is a forthcoming 37, which is properly DCC ready, but no date yet.

There never were any petroleum 56s, so whilst you could add the correct logos to a construction/coal one it would be fictitious.

Edit: not quite true, there was one, 56036. Others were assigned to trainload petroleum, but never received the livery.

Think I need to look into the older farish class 60 and see if it could work out. Other then not been properly DCC ready is it also the older tooling and running gear?

crewearpley40

Gavin for class 31 liveries i googled that railalbum.co.uk came up. For class 37 google br class 37 then look iat the rmweb pages class 37 liveries class 37 Group

gavin_t

Quote from: Karhedron on November 07, 2019, 09:55:52 AM

Distribution ones tended to handle things like container traffic. However as always, locos were sent where they were needed. I would not be surprised if one hauled tankers at some point, even if just covering for a breakdown.

Excellent info and pics  8)

That is what I had suspected, plus that would also give me more flexibility to run other train types behind it without looking out of place.
Liking the look of this farish one  :D comes in the early livery I wanted too!

Would still like to get a 60 at a later date though

gavin_t

njee20

Quote from: Karhedron on November 06, 2019, 02:17:21 PM
Dapol produce a nice class 56 in Railfreight Sector livery. I can't see one in Petroleum sector livery but you would always put transfers on a Construction sector one. Farish are producing 37 428 'DAVID LLOYD GEORGE' BR Petroleum sector livery. It is not available yet but if you are willing to wait, it will fit the bill when it (finally) arrives. They are also doing 31 319 in this livery but again, it is not out yet.

Farish do a Class 60 in petrol sector livery but this is a slightly older model which does not include features like a DCC socket. I don't know how important this would be to you.

Thanks for the info. The 31 could be of interest.

I have seen Class 60 Charles Babbage but as you say is not DCC ready. I have sent an enquiry to a company to get a cost for conversion and to see if it was worth while.

It is DCC ready, just doesn't have a socket, you have to hard wire a decoder. There are lots of wired decoders for this purpose though. It's the exact same model as those with a socket, and a very nice model indeed, one of their best IMO.

Simon D.

What British N Gauge seems to need is an equivalent of the brilliant Spookshow site for US N Scale:

http://www.spookshow.net/index.html

Crompton Power

Hi Gavin,

I wouldn't get to hung up on having matching wagons to correct sub sector liveried locos. Depots often had different sub sectors operating out of them, so the depot would provide a suitable loco for the train, not necessarily one liveried in the correct sub sector markings. Also locos got transferred between sub sectors and depots, so ran for a time with a different sub sector logo for what the loco was allocated to. A prime example was Cardiff Canton. Where I grew up on the south coast, we had a regular LPG train from Furzebrook on the old Swanage branch to Hallen Marsh. It was a Canton operated Petroleum sub sector train, class 60 hauled for some years, we quite often had Coal, Construction and Metals sub sector branded 60's on this working and occasionally Petroleum!
https://flic.kr/p/CjnDZA
https://flic.kr/p/gvdR11
https://flic.kr/p/QdFPQ1

If you are after a Farish 60, then Rails of Sheffield have the Coal sector one on offer at £79.50, which is a good price, I have no link with Rails apart from being a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Keith.

gavin_t

@Crompton Power thanks for that  :D

Answered some questions I had and was thinking of running a 60 with some shell PCA tanks so those pictures are great to see

:greatpicturessign:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations