Lima Gulf tank wagon

Started by JeremyS, January 29, 2019, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeremyS

I have some Lima Gulf tank wagons bought in the early '80s. From the lettering they represent an Italian prototype. I'm wondering if they resemble anything that ran on BR within a few years of 1960 - with a repaint if necessary - or if they will look too continental?

Thoughts?

Bob G

They have a passing appearance to chemical tankers, which commonly have a smaller barrel than oil tank wagons, and teh data plate has a passing resemblance to the data plates on Ferry Tank wagons, but even when I had some of these in the 1970s I knew they were not realistic. 50 years on they have no value other than the sentimental love of overscale Lima wagons that some of us still have.
Treat yourself to a new wagon or two.

Bob

JeremyS

Thanks, I suspected as much. A new wagon or two is in principle postponed until I have something to run it on, although in practice you can still find me looking through the second-hand stalls at model railway exhibitions to give something irresistible the chance to find me :-)

railsquid

Quote from: Bob G on January 29, 2019, 10:16:13 PM50 years on they have no value other than the sentimental love of overscale Lima wagons that some of us still have.

I acquired the N gauge versions of a few OO wagons which were part of my first trainset for precisely those reasons.

And anyway, everybody should keep a bit of Lima around for those frustrating times when you realise Farish or Dapol have painted the underarm crossfit drawbar regulator grille the wrong shade of mauve for a wet Saturday in 1967, and need some perspective on how bad it could be ;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations