Model Rail 16xx and J70 tram engine (Expressions of interest)

Started by javlinfaw7, August 06, 2020, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: NGS-PO on August 07, 2020, 09:22:22 PM
I seriously wonder if anyone actually reads the information given to them in these forum threads.

I give up.

I'm with you on this Scott
The suggestions I made are also their products.
Bob

bluedepot

i think the s100 usa tank and the j70 steam tram would both sell very well

i would probably only buy the usa tank engine myself though

maybe model rail should dip their toe in the n gauge market by commissioning a relivery of an existing farish or dapol model first though and see how that goes.

tim

Southerngooner

I tried to get the free copy of MR but you have to be a Great Magazines subscriber to get this. Oh well.....
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Stuart7358

Well an expression of interest in the J70 sent to them, sorry to say the 16XX isn't for me.

Good to see them at least asking if there is interest in these, may not appear, but great to the have the chance at least to make it happen if enough are interested..

Stuart   

Adam1701D

I like the idea of a J70 joining a skirted Class 04 on a Wisbech and Upwell themed shunting plank. Quite local for me as well.

If Rapido could do away with the removable sections on the body, it would be possible to get quite a bit of weight in there.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

red_death

Some have asked why not the USA tank? IIRC the OO model was produced by Bachmann and if you are looking at ease of shrinking something down then it is much easier to stick with the same manufacturer - in that case minimum order quantity starts to come into play for something you're not sure about viability ie Farish MoQ is higher than Rapido.

Presumably MR have also looked at sales. I agree with Scott that what sells in OO isn't necessarily the same as N but the data they have is a starting point.

Cheers Mike

Roy L S

I would personally have gone with the Sentinel Y1/Y3 as an option, produced for them in 00 by Dapol, popular enough for a second run to be made, nice and simple mechanically and viable with today's small coreless motors. DCC ready with right angled 6 pin socket.

Roy

gc4946

Quote from: red_death on August 08, 2020, 10:05:28 AM
Some have asked why not the USA tank? IIRC the OO model was produced by Bachmann and if you are looking at ease of shrinking something down then it is much easier to stick with the same manufacturer - in that case minimum order quantity starts to come into play for something you're not sure about viability ie Farish MoQ is higher than Rapido.

Presumably MR have also looked at sales. I agree with Scott that what sells in OO isn't necessarily the same as N but the data they have is a starting point.

Cheers Mike

Model Rail lists all their exclusives here https://www.model-rail.co.uk/model-rail-exclusives
However, many of them were produced by Bachmann, the exceptions are below:

Dapol - Sentinel 0-4-0VB, track cleaners
Heljan - class 33 D6510 green small yellow panel
Rapido - 16xx, J70
Heljan - class 128 55993 two-tone blue/red (Tyseley special)
Hornby - 91110 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, 90002 Mission Impossible
ViTrains - 47501 Craftsman in DRS livery

Apart from the Rapido models, the only other choices without Bachmann being involved, and clashing with mainstream production (Dapol 33, Tomix track cleaner) are the Sentinel, class 128 and the 91 if Cavalex is commissioned.
However Revolution might claim the class 128 Tyseley special as a future release under its own brand.
Cavalex might do a tie-up for the class 91.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

martyn

I'm slowly changing my mind about getting a J70 to 'yes please', instead of 'not for me'.

However, I note from the link given by gc4946 that the OO version has brown bodywork for the BR version.

The RCTS history of the LNER states that the bodywork was black (and indeed, the whole loco black) in BR days.

Unfortunately, my few photos of these are all in black and white, so its difficult to say. Anyone know more, please?

Running without side skirts was apparently common in BR days, unless on the W+U.

Brown for the body was correct for LNER days.

Martyn

Southerngooner

It's OK debating what you might like but the reality is any model selected would go in a queue for production with whatever was being made by the host company and would probably take a long time to reach fruition. MR gave two choices, the J70 and the 16xx, so it's a choice of one fo these, not any of their other models. If all everyone does is say "that's fine, but I'd like...." then they will get a poor response to their chosen items and things wouldn't proceed, surely?

It's OK having dreams but N gauge reality needs to kick in at times!
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

snitchthebudgie

Quote from: Southerngooner on August 08, 2020, 12:06:34 PM
It's OK debating what you might like but the reality is any model selected would go in a queue for production with whatever was being made by the host company and would probably take a long time to reach fruition. MR gave two choices, the J70 and the 16xx, so it's a choice of one fo these, not any of their other models. If all everyone does is say "that's fine, but I'd like...." then they will get a poor response to their chosen items and things wouldn't proceed, surely?

Sensible reply.  I despair at those whose immediate response is to tell MR to do something else (probably at great length.)  A little encouragement might - and only might - result in one or more very acceptable models.

Roy L S

Quote from: snitchthebudgie on August 08, 2020, 12:28:33 PM
Quote from: Southerngooner on August 08, 2020, 12:06:34 PM

Sensible reply.  I despair at those whose immediate response is to tell MR to do something else (probably at great length.)  A little encouragement might - and only might - result in one or more very acceptable models.

We are all entitled to express opinions, nobody is being compelled to express an interest for these models, so commenting on what could otherwise be a good choice from amongst their 00 commissions while the N ones are probably not even at a CAD stage is arguably the best time.

It was suggested that the 16xx wasn't a good choice for what appeared very practical reasons, N has its own idiosyncrasies successful 00 models do not necessary translate to N.

Regards

Roy

Ollie3440

Quote from: Richard G Dallimore on August 07, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
As a GWR fan I will add that I think the 16XX is a very poor choice as it does not carry any GW liveries.

Although the sole preserved example has worn GWR livery in preservation so there is an excuse to produce one in GWR colours.

Out of the J70 or 16xx it'd be the Pannier that would take my interest as one is preserved. Although I feel the J70 would have the more widespread appeal

Cheers

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Richard G Dallimore

Quote from: Ollie3440 on August 09, 2020, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: Richard G Dallimore on August 07, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
As a GWR fan I will add that I think the 16XX is a very poor choice as it does not carry any GW liveries.

Although the sole preserved example has worn GWR livery in preservation so there is an excuse to produce one in GWR colours.

Out of the J70 or 16xx it'd be the Pannier that would take my interest as one is preserved. Although I feel the J70 would have the more widespread appeal

Cheers

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:

But could not be run on a GWR layout in a historical sense, but interestingly could as a rule 1.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

ohlavache

A 16xx with a Busby chimney would be great.
I'm wondering whether someone could do a kit to be adapted on Dapol's 57xx Pannier. That would be an interesting alternative.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations