Change to authentification of online payments in the UK and EU

Started by Buzzard, February 04, 2019, 12:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Al

Quote from: njee20 on February 07, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
I agree, but what price on your time? I'd need to go to the bank (repeatedly) to get the requisite cash, which is worth significantly more than the 20p cost to use an app, and avoids me having to carry large amounts of change at all times.

None - I pick up cash when I'm shopping or getting fuel.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

ntpntpntp

Quote from: njee20 on February 07, 2019, 10:03:37 AM
I agree that some service providers who were forced to remove card fees (I think Deliveroo were among them) didn't remove the fee they just unified the prices at the higher level, but that's hardly surprising.

Yeah Just-Eat took that approach, there's now a "service charge" of 50p however you pay. There was a lot of fuss about it a year ago. On the other hand though, that's still worth it for me to be able to sit indoors in comfort and have my indian/chinese/kebab/steak or whatever delivered on a rainy/blustery evening  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 07, 2019, 12:50:59 PM
Yeah Just-Eat took that approach, there's now a "service charge" of 50p however you pay. There was a lot of fuss about it a year ago. On the other hand though, that's still worth it for me to be able to sit indoors in comfort and have my indian/chinese/kebab/steak or whatever delivered on a rainy/blustery evening  :D

Ah yes, Just Eat, not Deliveroo!

Quote from: Dr Al on February 07, 2019, 12:50:33 PM
None - I pick up cash when I'm shopping or getting fuel.

I try and do the former online and the latter using "pay at pump" card machines, far quicker ;-)

It's interesting that in the last year card transactions (including contactless) now outnumber cash, so there's a definite trend toward 'cashless', and obviously if you look at transactions over £20 it's not even close.

Dr Al

Quote from: njee20 on February 07, 2019, 12:52:52 PM
I try and do the former online and the latter using "pay at pump" card machines, far quicker ;-)

Would be nice, but here at any rate online grocery shopping is dismal - too often substituting items out of stock, plus the (significant at times) delivery charge.

Cheers
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

The Q

Quote from: njee20 on February 07, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
I agree, but what price on your time? I'd need to go to the bank (repeatedly) to get the requisite cash, which is worth significantly more than the 20p cost to use an app, and avoids me having to carry large amounts of change at all times.
Well since they closed 2 banks and 2 building societies in the nearest town, the only place for money is the post office ( which gained a machine in the wall when the banks closed), or the machines outside Tescos..
I draw £200 at a time which lasts several months normally..(much less if I'm going to a MRC show)

Using an app would cost considerably more than 20p, it would cost the purchase of the smart phone and line charges for something I don't use / can't use for lack of signal..

With the reports of just eat, and deliveroo, staff not delivering, or eating some of the contents, I'd be put off, even if they did cover my area..

ntpntpntp

Quote from: The Q on February 07, 2019, 01:03:57 PM
With the reports of just eat, and deliveroo, staff not delivering, or eating some of the contents, I'd be put off, even if they did cover my area..
with Just-Eat the actual delivery is arranged by the takeaway - either by themselves or in my area looks like sometimes taxi drivers supplementing their income.  Never had any bad experiences like those you mention. 

Unfortunately it's just too easy to be lazy and not bother to cook!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

The Q

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 07, 2019, 01:10:38 PM

Unfortunately it's just too easy to be lazy and not bother to cook!

They discovered some blocks of flats in Rome from Roman times... With no cooking facilities, the only conclusion the archaeoligists could come to was..... they eat out all the time... nothing is new...

joe cassidy

njee20

Joe if I had any, I would! ;)

Well since they closed 2 banks and 2 building societies in the nearest town, the only place for money is the post office ( which gained a machine in the wall when the banks closed), or the machines outside Tescos..
I draw £200 at a time which lasts several months normally..(much less if I'm going to a MRC show)

Using an app would cost considerably more than 20p, it would cost the purchase of the smart phone and line charges for something I don't use / can't use for lack of signal..

And that's absolutely fine, once again I didn't say "everyone should do this", I'm pro-choice, it just isn't mine, because I do have a smart phone!

I definitely don't want to be walking around with £200 all the time, and sadly I'd never manage to make that last a few months!

Mito

Quote from: daffy on February 07, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
Until all the world utilises cashless systems like those from Nayax and others, I will keep a bit of cash on me when out and about for those moments when I need to 'spend a penny' (or 20p or half a Swiss Franc, or whatever it is these days.)

https://www.nayax.com/cashless_solution_public_restrooms/
Could that be "Pay-as-you-poo"? ???
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

railsquid

Come to sunny Japan where cash is king and public toilets are plentiful, free and (mainly) clean  :beers:

njee20

I recall we've had this conversation recently, but it is weird that Japan, technological leader, known for embracing crazy technologies, still relies on cash!

railsquid

Quote from: njee20 on February 08, 2019, 09:03:05 AM
I recall we've had this conversation recently, but it is weird that Japan, technological leader, known for embracing crazy technologies, still relies on cash!

Suits me - it's widely accepted, widely available from ATMs, doesn't require a charged-up device or PIN numbers or fiddling around with online accounts, no-one bats an eyelid if you proffer a large-denomination note for a small purchase, vending and ticket machines accept it at first go most times, there's a good chance you'll get it back if you lose some and you have to be really negligent to get it stolen. Also it will work after a natural disaster when all the other fancy payment systems are offline (this is an important consideration in Japan).

The Q

Doesn't Japan use personal rubber stamps, to "Sign" Cheques, rather than a signature?

daffy

Quote from: railsquid on February 08, 2019, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: njee20 on February 08, 2019, 09:03:05 AM

Suits me - it's widely accepted, widely available from ATMs, doesn't require a charged-up device or PIN numbers or fiddling around with online accounts, no-one bats an eyelid if you proffer a large-denomination note for a small purchase, vending and ticket machines accept it at first go most times, there's a good chance you'll get it back if you lose some and you have to be really negligent to get it stolen. Also it will work after a natural disaster when all the other fancy payment systems are offline (this is an important consideration in Japan).

Fully agree Ian, even though I welcome such securities as Two Factor Authentication and appreciate the usefulness of a Card payment in this so-called better world we live in.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations