Linux Operating Systems.

Started by longbridge, September 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linuxyeti

Hi All

Hadn't noticed this thread before, as you can probably tell by my username, I use Linux, exclusively, and have done for getting on 10 years, ever since RedHat 4, (No no the current incarnation of Redhat 4, but the pre-fedora days :-)

At work, I work pretty much solely on RHEL or RHEL based operating systems, (Centos), running a whole variety of systems, largely Oracle or Java based apps. Personally I've been though the RedHat, SuSe, Fedora round, but now generally settle for Ubuntu as my own personal desktop. I really can't imagine a need to ever go back to a Microsoft produced operating system.

There are so many open source, and free applications for the Linux desktop, it really does put Windows, and Apple for that matter to shame.

There are of course many proprietry apps that also run on Linux.

Also, as for games,  well there are many, but you should also now look at Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/linux

As valve are actively working and producing Linux ports of many of their games, with the general consensus from them being that those ported run better on Linux.

Anyhow, waffled on enough now, but you get the gist :-)

Cheers

Tony

longbridge

Hi Joe forgive me but I don't understand why you would want to load both distros onto a computer with just a 40 gig HDD.

Linux Mint is a much refined version of Ubuntu, I find Ubuntu rather raw after using Mint, loading things like Picasa and Google Earth onto Mint is easy, in Ubuntu it is a pain in the you know what for a person just starting out.

I am using Mint 13 Cinnemon on both of my desktop PCs, one is an old office style IBM Lenovo with a Celeron 2.8 with 80 gig HDD, the other is also a IBM Lenovo with a Core 2 and 80 Gig HDD, both use Flat Screen Monitors.

There is no real reason why your computer should run slow and jerky in Linux as one of the great things about Linux is its speed.

Its your computer and you can do what you want with it but if it were me I would reload Linux Mint only, make sure you have your modem, printer and whatever else turned on while loading, if you have an external drive make sure it is turned off, Mint is loaded with drivers and it should find everything.

Adjustments to the Monitor is done in "System Tools" and "Display"

If you are using Mint 13 I can help you after it is set up so don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Forgot to mention Linux Mint is the 3rd most popular OS after Windows and Mac.

Hope this helps.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MikeDunn

Quote from: RChook on February 23, 2013, 01:25:30 AM
I have been using the internet since www was a baby (in those days we were more familiar with telnet &ftp, our search 'engines' were Archie and Gopher,,,,(hands up, who remembers them ?!)
Argh, stop making me feel old ...  :'(

I hooked up @ home on my Amiga ... can't recall the ISP, but it was one that was started by a bunch of enthusiasts who sold access on ... think it was a tenner, & they were based in London ?

I thought it was great when I could get a 9600 modem !  Knocked spots off my 2400, that I'd been using for a few years ...  US Robotics ruled  :smiley-laughing:

Mike

guest311

Hi,

I've been watching this with great interest, and awe for the obvious knowledge of the posters.

As someone who basically turns on and clicks, with most other things being being a black art, how easy would it be to take my spare tower unit and load Mint on it ?

I assume you need to remove just about everything from the hardrive, so is there an idiots guide on how to do it without tears ?

cheers

alan

linuxyeti

Hi

You don't even have to actually install it to try it, run it from the installation CD/DVD, although it will run slower than if actually installed, but it will give you some idea. Again, you won't neccessarily have to uninstall everything from your old tower, and you keep the option of either booting into Windows, or Linux.

As for installing, it really couldn't be simpler, unless you're unlucky, answer a few prompts, and you'll not only have the operating system installed (ala Windows) but an office suite, graphics packages and many many more all ready to go in well under an hour.

Cheers

Tony

guest311

Hi Tony,

many thanks for that. I finish nights in the morning so looks like a task for the four days off.

cheers

alan

longbridge

Easy as that Alan, download Mint 13 Cinnemon from here

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=105

Burn the ISO to a DVD disc and pop it into the Drive, as Tony said answer a few prompts and walah Windows has vanished and you are running a Linux OS.

Any further help you will find it here.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

surfaceman

Sorry, I was a bit late noticing this thread, but here is my tuppence worth :

I've used Ubuntu since, I think, 2009 and find it a simple,stable environment. I did try other Linux distros but found Ubuntu worked for me - YMMV.

As an ( ex ) IT professional, I think Linux ( any distro ) is the second best OS I've ever used  in a PC/Laptop/Server environment ... the best ( IMO ) was OS/2 WARP ( giving my age away, again! ).

As for Windoze compatibility, I find that most applications I need work happily within WINE - but over the years I've managed to find native Linux apps to replace most Windoze apps!

Happy Linuxing,

Alex

guest311

Quote from: longbridge on February 23, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

Burn the ISO to a DVD disc and pop it into the Drive, as Tony said answer a few prompts and walah Windows has vanished and you are running a Linux OS.

:dunce: guess it's going to be a steeeeep learning curve. many thanks to all who have posted in this, even if some of it goes straight over my head ie distros  :hmmm: :'(

cheers

alan

longbridge

Quote from: class37025 on February 23, 2013, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: longbridge on February 23, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

:dunce: guess it's going to be a steeeeep learning curve. many thanks to all who have posted in this, even if some of it goes straight over my head ie distros  :hmmm: :'(

cheers

alan

Distro's Allan are distributions, there are over 100 different Linux Distributions/ operating systems, the one thing they have in common is that they use the Linux Kernel/System to make them work.

I guess it can be related to a bloke that likes hotting cars up, some go the whole hog and fit hot camshafts,. balanced flywheels and extra carbies to make it go faster, that is pretty much how it is with Linux, each developer has his own ideas as to how to make it work best.

Here is an incomplete list of Linux Distributions, note at the top of the RH column that Mint is at No1, having said that Ubuntu would be my second choice.

http://distrowatch.com/

If you have been a Win XP user you will find Mint 13 is as good as it gets as a simple to operate system.

I myself have used various Linux distros including Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Zorin, Puppy and Pinguy plus a few variations, I loved them all but for simplicity I found Mint the most user friendly, that is why it is the No1 Distro at the moment.

Here is a link that pretty much covers what Linux is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

guest311

:doh:

now I get it  :thankyousign:

was using XP pro which I was comfortable with, new laptop came with win 7.

will try Mint 13 and see how I get on

cheers again

alan

tim-pelican

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 23, 2013, 08:14:19 PM
I hooked up @ home on my Amiga ... can't recall the ISP, but it was one that was started by a bunch of enthusiasts who sold access on ... think it was a tenner, & they were based in London ?

Sounds like Demon Internet.  Moderately shocking lash-up of Amiga software, was not the best thing in the world to support - I was working there '94-'97 or thereabouts.  I *do* still miss my Amiga sometimes though :(

RChook

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 23, 2013, 08:14:19 PM
Argh, stop making me feel old ...  :'(
hehee, sorry ! ;)
Quotebunch of enthusiasts who sold access on ... think it was a tenner, & they were based in London ?
I was going to suggest Demon, I see tim-p has beat me to it :)

QuoteI thought it was great when I could get a 9600 modem !  Knocked spots off my 2400
Ah those were the days, and then we got 56k ! and I downloaded my first 700M ISO (Knoppix I think it was) took me a few evenings to get it all tho' !!!

But I do wish that peeps would propose Linux on its merits and not by comparison with much maligned windoze and its supposed vulnerability to virii !

longbridge

Quote from: RChook on February 24, 2013, 12:26:45 AM
[

But I do wish that peeps would propose Linux on its merits and not by comparison with much maligned windoze and its supposed vulnerability to virii !

I certainly don't intend to compare Linux to Windows, for Starters one costs lots of  $$$$ and the other is free.

To be honest RChook, I only mention Linux to people when they are moaning about problems with Windows, Windows 95,98 and XP served me well for a lot of years, I tried Ubuntu six years ago and again one year later and liked it, Linux is my preference as an operating system and I have no wish to change to anything else, I do enjoy experimenting with Android on my Desktop though.

If a person asks me about Linux I will gladly tell them what I know but as far as trying to convert people I gave that up a long time ago, people are happy with Windows and I am happy for them, I think the one thing that puts people off Linux is the fact that it is free, for me personally being free is a bonus although I have contributed from time to time, what is more important is that it will do everything I ask of it as an operating system.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

linuxyeti

Hi

I do only recommend Linux on it's merits, although one of those is of course that it isn't Windows :-) Ha !!. No, but when explaining to people some of the merits, then you do have to mention other operating systems, just as you do when you mention Linux's downsides and problems.

Personally I enjoy the operating system, but then I would, I enjoy my work !! I also enjoy, when I go for a laptop, and they try and sell me extras, I just tell then it's OK, it won't even get started with Windows, I'll be wiping it straight away, most are lost for words, and many have a puzzled expression, and that's the experts in PC World / Currys !!

Oh yeah, and my 7 year old daughter at the time, walking round PC world at the time Windows 7 was released, saying quite loudly, "They're rubbish, they have windows on them !!", right where the MS marketing bods were demonstrating it.

To be honest, as an operating system, Windows 7 is pretty good, but not good enough for me to switch.

Cheers

Tony

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations