Wish List Poll Results

Started by Graham Walters, November 18, 2016, 09:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: njee20 on November 28, 2016, 09:48:36 PM
Plenty of places/people could renumber for you? probably a better/quicker solution than waiting for RTR.

Thanks Njee, not an option I had thought of, but might investigate.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

acko22

Hi all,

The one thing I have noticed over the past few years is the growing numbers of rail maintenance and engineering models been asked for.
Speaking for my area of interest (Modern Era) the tampers would be a nice addition but I do realise that some past attempts have not been up to a suitable standard and had issues plus there are 3d prints available for those that are capable of making them into an accurate working model!

While it does not strike me as surprising due to the limited numbers of engineering vehicles compared against normal freight and passenger stock numbers it would be nice to see some more RTR models come available in the coming years. In my opinion while not the most glamorous of rail vehicles they are the most important and with most been self propelling they are a train in their own right!

But on that I have to be honest you cant have a go at the manufacturers I totally appreciate these models would be very design heavy and therefore time and money consuming to get to a standard we expect these days and the numbers well do they stack up for a model that people may only need one or two of?

Sadly right now I think not, but we can all live in hope and keep wishing!  :D
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

D1042 Western Princess

Now, there's an idea worthy of serious consideration  :hmmm:. Just imagine all the trouble with ballasting new layouts and such that could be avoided if these tampers and ballast spreaders etc could be made to work in a prototype manner .
Just load them up in the morning and when you went back that evening a fully ballasted layout would be waiting for you, all done by 'the little people'.  :claphappy: :laugh3:

(Well, it is a 'wish list' isn't it!)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

red_death

Ben and I have talked about track maintenance vehicles a fair bit - the major stumbling block we've encountered is which one!  We have some ideas but that is for a bit further down the line as we have plenty to get on with at the moment.

Cheers, Mike

njee20

I wonder if the prevalence in such models is just more a symptom that the number of 'normal' models left unrepresented is dwindling.

acko22

Quote from: njee20 on November 29, 2016, 10:31:36 AM
I wonder if the prevalence in such models is just more a symptom that the number of 'normal' models left unrepresented is dwindling.

You may be right, another factor I think is the fact as the detailing gets better the more demanding we are when it comes to detail as a whole, may it be scale speed, formations or as in this case been correct in all elements such as seeing self propelled maintenance stock especially modern era where it has become a lot more common.

AS I said previously while it is not impossible the engineering challenges for some of the more sought after models like the tampers to have them at the detail we demand it will cost and is the market happy to pay for? Its fair to say its a niche market as IIRC the tampers number around 40 versions in the UK so compared to say class 43s which are far more common and seen a lot more!

Personally I think it would make more sense if some one was going to take a dive into rail maintenance stock to go for the rail grinders, while the numbers are small around 15 in the UK:

The engineering of the model would be easier as all the working parts are hidden inside unlike a tamper where it is on show, it could be a potential start model to see if the market is there for the more unusual, lesser seen and less numerous rail maintenance vehicles.

As for other stock Mr Ando knows what I would give my right arm for, but if I mention it to him again I am sure he will beat me to death with a BBC microphone!!  :confused1:
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

njee20

Modern Image Models do a nice 3D print of the Harsco grinder. Nearly ordered one yesterday when Shapeways were 25% off!

TylerB

One thing I never see the option to vote for on these poll lists is modern UK light rail stock. Surely there must be some demand for Manchester Metrolink stock? Or Newcastle Metro or Sheffield, or even DLR for that matter. Yes I know it might appear a bit niche but all the above systems have substantial sections on which they run alongside National Rail so I'm sure a few modellers would buy them, to compliment their layouts with a bit of variety?

Ok, I'll go back in my box now... :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations