N Gauge GWR Class 101 steam loco?

Started by RBTKraisee, October 20, 2021, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maridunian

Quote from: thebrighton on October 23, 2021, 10:02:50 AM
Now this is an interesting 0-4-0 chassis due to be released next year. Once the sizeable weight has been removed it looks a good starting point. I may well have to buy one to have a play.
https://railsofsheffield.com/products/oo-9-locomotive-powered-chassis?_pos=1&_sid=c7548504f&_ss=r

Whoo! Just seen this. Anyone seen any dimensions published anywhere?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

zwilnik

Quote from: Bob G on November 02, 2021, 04:31:07 PM
That running plate looks like it is pretty robust. Otherwise she's looking very cute.
Oh and I need to pinch myself and remember how small this loco really is.

Best
Bob

Hehe yes. It's a quirk of the chassis. I've got a 1mm thick plate over the chassis top plate and side and front skirts down to buffer beam height.

Feasibly I could lose the plate and just do the skirts, although that might be fiddly to print and would lose some of that ever so critical front end weight.

maridunian

Quote from: maridunian on November 02, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: thebrighton on October 23, 2021, 10:02:50 AM
Now this is an interesting 0-4-0 chassis due to be released next year. Once the sizeable weight has been removed it looks a good starting point. I may well have to buy one to have a play.
https://railsofsheffield.com/products/oo-9-locomotive-powered-chassis?_pos=1&_sid=c7548504f&_ss=r

Whoo! Just seen this. Anyone seen any dimensions published anywhere?

Mike

To answer my own question, this chassis is for a 009 model of George England locos Princess and Prince built for the Festiniog railway. Drivers 2' and wheelbase 4' 6", so 8mm and 18mm respectively.
Mike

maridunian

Quote from: zwilnik on November 02, 2021, 05:37:37 PM
That running plate looks like it is pretty robust. Otherwise she's looking very cute.

Best
Bob

Hehe yes. It's a quirk of the chassis. I've got a 1mm thick plate over the chassis top plate and side and front skirts down to buffer beam height.

Feasibly I could lose the plate and just do the skirts, although that might be fiddly to print and would lose some of that ever so critical front end weight.

If you use the Fleischmann upper footplate uncovered and print an apron to top the bufferbeam/cylinders, you'll get that 1mm back.

Mike

zwilnik

Quote from: maridunian on November 02, 2021, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: zwilnik on November 02, 2021, 05:37:37 PM

Best
Bob

If you use the Fleischmann upper footplate uncovered and print an apron to top the bufferbeam/cylinders, you'll get that 1mm back.

Mike

it may even be worth lengthening a little to go over the buffers. I could then extend the smokebox and boiler forwards a bit more, which means more forward weight.

ntpntpntp

I wonder if Tramfabriek or Micromotor.eu offer a coreless motor upgrade for the old Fleischmann Black Anna?  I've not looked.  I would imagine the coreless motor would be smaller than the traditional Fleischmann motor. 

I believe these old Fleischmann 0-4-0s are currently not in production so you're looking for 2nd hand (maybe they'll come back one day re-tooled to take a decoder?)

Also worth remembering the old Ibertren Cuckoo is a very similar chassis, and they do turn up quite cheap from time to time. Knurled wheels just like an old Triang loco but they run really well, the narrow gauge crowd used to use them a lot.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

maridunian

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 02, 2021, 07:48:23 PM
I wonder if Tramfabriek or Micromotor.eu offer a coreless motor upgrade for the old Fleischmann Black Anna?  I've not looked.  I would imagine the coreless motor would be smaller than the traditional Fleischmann motor. 

Indeed @Sven does offer that.

I looked into this for my own Peckett 0-4-0 variants. Although it allows a narrower bodyshell, the motion and cylinders remain very wide, so I didn't proceed.

Mike

zwilnik

Quote from: maridunian on November 02, 2021, 08:45:39 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 02, 2021, 07:48:23 PM

Indeed @Sven does offer that.

I looked into this for my own Peckett 0-4-0 variants. Although it allows a narrower bodyshell, the motion and cylinders remain very wide, so I didn't proceed.

Mike

We were discussing it on the Zoom chat and one big advantage of the coreless motor would be the reduction in weight at the back. Given the current model's propensity to pull wheelies, balancing the weight towards the front (replacing the printed front plate with a metal one was also suggested) it would be handy.

zwilnik

Still working on my 101 model (I botched the initial paint job, so stripped it off and about to try again). In the meantime, What If..

What if the 101 wasn't scrapped way too soon and the GWR did its usual, "if it ain't broke, slap pannier tanks on it" approach to tank loco upgrades.. ?

zwilnik

It actually looks kind of plausible :) (the added tank space ahead of the front wheels will hopefully hold enough lead shot to stop it popping wheelies too :) )

RBTKraisee

Yeah, that does look plausible!

I still want the wheelie version myself ;)

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Bob G

You are just one sick designer.

I think that is an accolade in modern speak but I'm not sure...

maridunian

You're heading towards one of my preferred candidate bodies for that chassis, the GWR 1101

Mike

zwilnik

Quote from: maridunian on November 20, 2021, 12:32:11 AM
You're heading towards one of my preferred candidate bodies for that chassis, the GWR 1101

Mike

Ooh yes, that would be an obvious one and not too tricky either. I also still have two more donor chassis to play with :)

maridunian

Quote from: zwilnik on November 20, 2021, 01:14:45 AM
Quote from: maridunian on November 20, 2021, 12:32:11 AM

Mike

Ooh yes, that would be an obvious one and not too tricky either. I also still have two more donor chassis to play with :)

And this similar Avonside design would be even sweeter

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations