N Gauge GWR Class 101 steam loco?

Started by RBTKraisee, October 20, 2021, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollybob

Hello
I'd be interested in having a model of one if someone is selling a body? I have a Fleischman chassis somewhere...

Also I'm curious to know was the engine sent off anywhere to be evaluated? The history of this locomotive is somewhat scarce.

Rob.

zwilnik

Quote from: RBTKraisee on October 31, 2021, 01:10:29 AM
Very nice!   I was contemplating doing something myself, but if you've got access to the chassis already I look forward to seeing where you go with it! :)

Ross.

It's a GWR tank engine I don't have, so I'll definitely be attempting it :) Now my 1366 is just about done, I've just got to print off a batch of telegraph poles and I'll give it a go and see if it works.

Seeing as the prototype went through quite a few major modifications, I'll probably use the Hornby model as a guide. Mainly because there's more than one photo of it on the internet ;)

I'll chuck the model on Thingiverse once I get it working!

JanW

If you put it on Thingyverse i MUST print it and build it!
I'm building Blagdon station and the loco was built for the Wrington vale light railway.
It was never used there but in my world it will be of course :)

Jan

Bob G

Quote from: zwilnik on October 31, 2021, 10:22:34 AM
Seeing as the prototype went through quite a few major modifications, I'll probably use the Hornby model as a guide. Mainly because there's more than one photo of it on the internet ;)

I've got a feeling the Hornby model was stretched to fit the chassis they already had.
IIRC it was the chassis they used for Nellie, Polly and Connie, and the North British 0-4-0 diesel shunter in the 1960s.
While the NB shunter looked the part, Nellie et al were 20% stretched versions of the ex LSWR C14/S14 class 0-4-0 dock shunter 30588 / 30589 / 77s in the attached pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_C14_class

BLIMEY O'REILLY. It looks like it could be made to fit on a T3 chassis without the centre wheels!!!

Now as a "southern" man with lots of models of Southampton Dock shunters (B4, USA, E2, Class 04, Class 07), I'd happily have one of these. You might even persuade @Dorsetmike to have one too :) They were around in his model era and mine.

HTH
Bob

zwilnik

That does look like an ideal T3 chassis candidate. Relatively tall cab and everything :)

For my mockup I matched it to the dimensions of the side photo of the original 101 to fit around the Fleischmann chassis, but there's not a lot visible on there for useful detail. I'm figuring if I use the Hornby model photos for overall shape but fit to the chassis, it should be somewhere in the region of vaguely right ;)

JanW

I have a simple drawing with some dimensions of it.
When I'm back home I'll pm it to you

Dorsetmike

QuoteYou might even persuade @Dorsetmike to have one too :) They were around in his model era and mine.
Nah, I've got a couple of Peco kit B4s which get employed on yard shunting and local freight,  but don't have any dockside on the layout
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Jollybob

There is a diagram of it in A Pictorial Record Of Great Western Engines Volume One. By J H Russell on page 145. The body on the Hornby model is quite accurate.

Rob.

zwilnik

I've done my batch of telegraph poles (link here.. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5073674) and I'm printing my first test fit model of the 101. See you in a few hours...

RBTKraisee

Quote from: zwilnik on October 31, 2021, 10:22:34 AM

I'll chuck the model on Thingiverse once I get it working!

The Hornby one is what I remember fondly, so that will be perfect!   I will most definitely print it if you put it on thingi!   I'll then have to find me a chassis to go under it :)

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

zwilnik

First test print didn't quite work (one side failed and the other has a definite slew, which I think is my FEP being on its way out). But enough to check the general fit (it needs a hole at the front for a little tab that sticks up from the chassis)

Bob G

I didn't know you did cute so well 😀👩‍⚕️💖
Whoops I must remember I'm talking to a bloke
Bob

zwilnik

Some more refinement. A little bit more length on the nose to fit the chassis, as well as some detailing. Riding a little high on the chassis due to the fitting holes not being quite right.

This print showed 2 specific problems when fitted to the chassis. Firstly, the Fleischmann square motor block isn't square all the time. The actual motor armature spins slightly proud of the casing as it goes around, so for the next print I'll be cutting away a bit more space above it.

Another issue is that the chassis is massively tail heavy. With a die cast tank loco body on top that has side tanks almost to the front made of solid metal, it's not a problem. With a lightweight resin body on it though it has a nasty habit of pulling wheelies. So I'm hollowing out the smokebox and boiler at the front so I can add lead weights.

zwilnik

I need to over the print with a toothbrush, but it's now fitting and running. I'm considering hacksawing the buffers off the chassis and adding a printed buffer beam. The continental ones are a bit small anyway. The nose end is now hollow so I can add some counterweight to the motor that's hanging behind the rear axle.

Bob G

That running plate looks like it is pretty robust. Otherwise she's looking very cute.
Oh and I need to pinch myself and remember how small this loco really is.

Best
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations