RTR & Code 55

Started by Mr Sprue, December 06, 2013, 07:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Thats what I love so much about this hobby.......so much to think and ponder about! :hmmm:

Something that's been bugging me a little regarding layout construction, will all RTR run on code 55 without any problems, or does it border on finescale and changing wheel sets?

Jack

All my stock (RTR) used to run on Code 80 with no problems. It now runs on Code 55 for the main layout which include double slips and three ways with no problems. All my old Code 80 is consigned to fiddle yard and boxes in cupboards.

I've not modified any of my stock, never had a shorting problem on points, unless I've forgotten to switch an opposing point. Some of my stock has Farish pizza cutters for wheels and even these have had no problems running on Code 55 track.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Mr Sprue

Many thanks Jack, I had an inkling that all was ok with 55, but its always good to receive conformation from someone who has tried and tested!
:thumbsup:

Regards
David

Trev

Jack, can I ask if you have steam or diesels or a mixture please as I'm contemplating including a single and double slip but all my locos (some Poole Farish, new Farish as well as 2 Peco Jubilees) are all steam
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Jack

The only thing I use kettles for is for making tea.  ;D

Sorry Trev, flippant remark, I'm not a lover of steamers so everything is Class 08 to Class 57's and HST's. All I can say is that I've seen layouts with steamers on Code 55 seemingly running without problems.

Perhaps one of the steamer folks who run of 55 can confirm for?
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

keerout

I run steamers on code 55 with no problems at all; the biggest is a GF black 5, no inclines or big Dapol kettles though..
Gerard  :wave:

Caz

I run almost exclusively steamers and have no problem with code 55 except for a very, very old 08 gronk (with brass gears and pizza cutter wheels) which just won't run through my code 55 double slip.  Old Halls, Castles and Panniers run through fine.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

I have a collection of some 75 locos (steamers and diesels) collected over 30 years or so and manufactured by Minitrix, Farish, Dapol and Peco and all run perfectly well on code 55.
I don't have any slips though (having been arrested while wearing one :-[ :-X)

PLD

Only stock I've ever known to NOT run on code 55 is some LIMA wagons and very old Minitrix with almost square flanges...

Anything made in the last 20 years should be fine...

Trev

Thanks for your replies. Very encouraging and appreciated.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Mr Sprue

Yes I second that also...... Many thanks guys for your helpful input.  :thumbsup:

Chinahand

Steam versus diesel is not the criteria for deciding if locos/rolling stock will run on Code 55 track. The requirement is that the wheels & flanges comply with NMRA 25.

The early Farish Poole products had what were coloquially known as 'pizza-cutter' wheels but, AFAIK, all Farish stock produced since they were taken over by Bachman comply with NMRA 25. Dapol came onto the scene later so all of their stock complies with NMRA 25. You may have to watch out for some of the old Minitrix and Lima stuff which was not made to the current standard.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

ParkeNd

I worried about this too when I chose Code 55 on returning to the hobby especially since Peco make it an issue in their "Laying the Track" booklet.

But it seems from all the responses on this forum and other lesser forums that there could justifiably be a prize for anyone who has a loco that WONT run on Code 55. It must be a rare bird that can't be named but mythically must exist in some theoretically possible category of old locos or rolling stock.

Certainly as a newbie this doesn't seem to be a reason not to choose Code 55.

tutenkhamunsleeping

I'm relatively new to the N gauge side of things, I know, but I've yet to get my hands on anything that won't run on code 40, never mind code 55.  There must be some encouragement to be had from that! :D

Vanders

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on December 07, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
I'm relatively new to the N gauge side of things, I know, but I've yet to get my hands on anything that won't run on code 40, never mind code 55.  There must be some encouragement to be had from that! :D
Ditto, and I've got some old Lima coaches with pizza cutters for wheels, and a Poole-era Farish Class 20 (with brass gears), and both glide through my track just as easily as anything brand new.

I think the mythology around finer track and older rolling stock is stronger than the reality ever has been. I suspect most problems actually stem from poor back to backs rather than flange depth.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations