RAIL TOURS

Started by Newportnobby, July 01, 2011, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I've just returned from my second Compass Rail Tour - this one to Stratford upon Avon. The last one I did was to visit the Forth and Tay Bridges. Both were top and tailed by Class 47's with 12/13 up. Prices are reasonable, and the trains are manned by volunteers apart from the catering. Has anyone else had experience of Compass or other tours they can recommend. I'm thinking of doing one of their steam specials over the S & C in August :thumbsup: :camera:

Newportnobby

As a follow up to this, the Stratford upon Avon trip was very interesting, not least because it took us round some very unknown lines around the rump of Birmingham. Having said that, you see some pretty awful sights from carriage windows in city areas. Once again, we were top and tailed by Class 47's.
I have taken the plunge and booked a steam special over the Setle and Carlisle for 15th August and am very excited, as I've no indication or idea what we'll get for an engine. I'd like to think it will be a Stanier standard of some sort. Cost £109 first class from Wigan North Western. Looking forward to a cracking day out, Gromit.

Tank

Very lucky!  I'd love to do a rail tour, but nobody I know round here likes trains that much.  Losers! ;D

Lawrence

Would love to do the small hill railways in India, Ffestiniog Travel do a trip out there but it is about a month long, costs over £4k and that doesn't include meals  :o

m1racleman

Quote from: Lawrence on July 10, 2011, 05:26:50 PM
Would love to do the small hill railways in India, Ffestiniog Travel do a trip out there but it is about a month long, costs over £4k and that doesn't include meals  :o
Wouldn't worry about the cost of meals out there. You can eat like royalty for about £5 a month :thumbsup: - similar to Sainsbury's prices !!!!! :thumbsup:

porkie

not too sure if it was a rail tour.
But this morning a rake of pullman coaches and i think it was DRS 47 or 57 ran behind my house on the old bletchley to oxford line
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

EtchedPixels

Quote from: m1racleman on July 10, 2011, 06:13:44 PM
Quote from: Lawrence on July 10, 2011, 05:26:50 PM
Wouldn't worry about the cost of meals out there. You can eat like royalty for about £5 a month :thumbsup: - similar to Sainsbury's prices !!!!! :thumbsup:

Having been to Bangalore that much is true. You will eat like a king for a couple days, then you will become intimately familiar with indian toilet facilities for a couple following. It really doesn't matter how hard you try, it'll get you at some point the first trip ! Be warned - they don't believe in loo paper either, but you will get a brush and a thing of water ...

Sadly I didn't get to play on Indian Railways at all as it was a business trip 8(

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Cripes - you don't get toilet paper but you do get a brush ???
I don't wonder they say don't drink the water ;D

truin

I don't know if it strictly counts as a 'rail tour' but as a special present for my wife and I, who have both reached 60 this year, we were given a trip on the VSOE Pullman Luncheon train! Victoria to Guildford and return as a circular trip, 5 course meal with free wine and champagne (oh how the other half live!) :A1Tornado:. The train was pulled by Clan Line and consisted of 11 Pullman coaches and a support crew coach. Beautifully smooth ride in Audrey. Clan Line only received her annual boiler renewal on Thursday so we were lucky to be behind her. My wife commented that it was nice to go on a steam hauled special where I actually sat with her rather than be hanging out of the window trying to get 'that' shot as we went around curves!
Now to use some of my annual leave to be in Lewes on Thursday at 0900 for Britannia taking out the Cathedral Express to Ely via my home town of Haywards Heath. Photo opportunities are better in Lewes but I will be trying to get some night shots at 2230 ish in HH on her return trip.
CME 'Oakley' Uckfield Model Railway Club

Newportnobby

Nice one, Truin.
Hopefully you'll get some good shots and we'll see them posted?? :A1Tornado:

truin

What a pig's ear they made of today! After an unscheduled overnight stop at Three Bridges instead of Newhaven, thanks to broken down train apparently, Britannia broke the points as she went out of the east sidings on to the main line and screwed up all the down train timings. I hadn't realised that she was then towed down to Lewes and was actually held at HH for 25 minutes some time after 0700, curses missed that chance. Ended up on the platform at 0910 and she arrived at 0915! Managed to start the video of her clearing the tunnel just as a late running 8 car left the platform and crossed in front of me! Got a couple of shots as she waited and an almost decent video (note to self take tripod tonight!) as she left for Ely tailed by 47500. Once I sort the piccies out and in to photobucket I will post the links.

Truin

Tank

Looking forward to the pictures. :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Quote from: truin on July 14, 2011, 07:35:59 PM
What a pig's ear they made of today! After an unscheduled overnight stop at Three Bridges instead of Newhaven, thanks to broken down train apparently, Britannia broke the points as she went out of the east sidings on to the main line and screwed up all the down train timings. I hadn't realised that she was then towed down to Lewes and was actually held at HH for 25 minutes some time after 0700, curses missed that chance. Ended up on the platform at 0910 and she arrived at 0915! Managed to start the video of her clearing the tunnel just as a late running 8 car left the platform and crossed in front of me! Got a couple of shots as she waited and an almost decent video (note to self take tripod tonight!) as she left for Ely tailed by 47500. Once I sort the piccies out and in to photobucket I will post the links.

Truin
Doh! Sounds like it was really mucked up. Still, I look forward to seeing what you did catch.

truin

Sorry, a bit slow in posting the few pics I did get working to get a club layout ready for a show a week on Saturday. A few scenery bits being done at home, N gauge  at Portacabin, canal boat etc as well as adding extra break points to the control panel. two outings earlier in the year showed up some problems .... should know if I've fixed it tomorrow night as I am arranging an extra night to get it set up and tested. Spent a large part of Thursday, after Britannia's visit, ballasting the shunting yard and sorting out an area which still ain't right but 'will do' for now.

Four pictures posted, three morning and a night shot as she waited to move off after watering. Will post the morning video after my newly painted kit bashed steps have dried off.javascript:void(0);

URL is http://photobucket.com/truintrains
Password is britannia

Newportnobby

Cheers Truin, she's a beauty. One of my favourite standard locos :thumbsup: :camera:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations