Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I've come across a small niggle since the server upgrade.

On the Media button at the top I get various numbers highlighted in bold depending on which forum page I may be on. Before the upgrade it worked fine, as members added to their albums so the number changed until I'd cleared the viewed photos in the Unseen folder.

I currently have 2258 "unseen" photos to view but when I open the Media/Unseen the folder is empty.  :confused1:

I know I can ignore it but that kinda defeats the object of the Media button.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Tank

Thanks Jack.  Yes, that's on our to do list. :thumbsup:  We're not sure why changing servers would have altered it.

Pengi

Quote from: kaiwhara on December 14, 2012, 08:13:33 AM
Quote from: whiteswan on December 14, 2012, 07:59:21 AM
Did a test this morning using my Samsung Android mobile (Gingerbread 2.6) and Windows XP laptop (sp3).

Using the mobile I clicked on the little star to give access to the "read all unread" etc menu, selected "unread posts", left the first couple and the last couple in the list but read all the others.  I then exited my mobile browser.

10 minutes later, fired up laptop, checked unread posts and those that I had read weren't there but the ones I'd purposely left were still waiting for me.  So it all seems to work as it should on my systems.

So what happens when you leave it for an hour?
I tested this over an 18 hour period and about 10 unread items had dropped off the bottom on the unread items list. I had written down the first and last item in the list when I first logged on and when I logged on today they were not there. :goggleeyes:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Tank

Show unread posts since last visit -  This literally means to show the new post since the last time you visited the forum.  So, if you go away for a period of time then the forum will treat the next visit as new, and only show the new set of unread posts.

Pengi

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2012, 09:49:47 AM
Show unread posts since last visit -  This literally means to show the new post since the last time you visited the forum.  So, if you go away for a period of time then the forum will treat the next visit as new, and only show the new set of unread posts.
:thankyousign:

. . . . but not the set of unread posts that you had not read if you had logged in in the meantime (if that makes sense). So, if you are reading all unread posts, the moral is never to leave an unread post unread before you log out (otherwise you might not know that the post existed when you next log in).
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Tank

Do you mean the 'Unread Posts' that are shown to the right of every board?

kaiwhara

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2012, 09:49:47 AM

I understand all that Tank, what I am trying to propose, and I'm not sure if I am explaining what I mean very clearly, is to have some way to log in with my mobile - which is usually to look at only 1 specific topic at that moment in time while on a break at work, and when I get home and log on, I can then spend time to catch up with what has been written that day. This is currently very hard to do if I log in with the mobile at some stage during the day as in the process of doing so - it wipes the unread list. It is making me reluctant to catch up with the forum except when I am at home, as it makes it very hard to find the posts for the day by any other means!
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Tank

Quote from: B1 61126 on December 10, 2012, 08:47:13 PM
Hi was just thinking there doesent seem to be a work bench thread it might be a good idea to start one as i would like to have a thread showing what im currently working on or could you tell me which thread to use instead
yours
B1 61126
Geoff

I've now changed the title of 'Kit/Scratch Building/Repaints' to 'On My Workbench'.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll create sub-boards for buildings etc soon.

Tank

Quote from: kaiwhara on December 15, 2012, 11:05:29 AM
I understand all that Tank, what I am trying to propose, and I'm not sure if I am explaining what I mean very clearly, is to have some way to log in with my mobile - which is usually to look at only 1 specific topic at that moment in time while on a break at work, and when I get home and log on, I can then spend time to catch up with what has been written that day. This is currently very hard to do if I log in with the mobile at some stage during the day as in the process of doing so - it wipes the unread list. It is making me reluctant to catch up with the forum except when I am at home, as it makes it very hard to find the posts for the day by any other means!

Sorry mate, my reply wasn't a direct reply to your post.....  Sure, I can see the problem here.  All I can suggest for now is that when you come home that you click the 'Unread Posts' button which is found at the side of each Board heading.  Or, is this not working for you either? ???

kaiwhara

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2012, 11:10:09 AM
Sorry mate, my reply wasn't a direct reply to your post.....  Sure, I can see the problem here.  All I can suggest for now is that when you come home that you click the 'Unread Posts' button which is found at the side of each Board heading.  Or, is this not working for you either? ???

I can't say I have tried that. I can see that it would, but its possibly a bit of a pain in the arse way to do it, as it would mean trawling through the whole lot looking for a post if I am after a specific thread but I have no idea where it is. That's why I tend to use the Unread since last visit as it shows everything recent without having to go fishing - I am after something similar additional to this that could show for arguements sake everything for the last 24 hours, or an expanded list like the "Recent Posts" lot at the bottom of the home page.

Tank

Sure, I can see what you mean.  Basically an 'Unread Posts' button which would show ALL posts that weren't marked as read.  This would mean some big recoding of the forum.  I'll put it on my to-do list, as it makes good sense, and can hopefully be done by mid January.

kaiwhara

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2012, 11:21:45 AM
Sure, I can see what you mean.  Basically an 'Unread Posts' button which would show ALL posts that weren't marked as read.  This would mean some big recoding of the forum.  I'll put it on my to-do list, as it makes good sense, and can hopefully be done by mid January.

If it's going to be a big job don't worry about it, as it's a minor annoyance - it isn't stopping me using the forum, just at work...

Bealman

Just tried clicking on the Photographic Competition and there's nothing there. Perhaps I'm too early?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Caz

Quote from: bealman on January 29, 2013, 08:53:08 PM
Just tried clicking on the Photographic Competition and there's nothing there. Perhaps I'm too early?

No one's entered anything yet, you could be the first  :D
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

It says 'click here for details' so I did, but there's nothing there - only 'error has occurred'
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations