1:160 plant and vehicles

Started by guest311, January 26, 2012, 01:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

after reading some of the comments re Farish's undersized buses, I wondered if anyone had used any of the GHQ white metal vehicles, and if they had did they find them to be grossly out of scale with UK N trains etc, or were they acceptable.

I've been looking for a couple of forklift trucks, and a couple of log loaders, but the only ones I've been able to locate are the GHQ ones, at 1:160

alternatively does anyone know of a source of 1:148 models of the above plant.

cheers

alan

Lawrence

I know Bob Davies does a good range of vehicles, click the N Train link on the right to go to his ebay shop  :thumbsup:

Gordon

I have couple of Tomix fork lifts. I think they are Japanese 1:152 as I work in 1:160 and they seem a bit big for that.

Try this link:

http://www.nscalemodeltrainguide.com/?s=N+Scale+forklift

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

guest311

Lawrence and Gordon,

thanks for those leads, I'll try them later at work.

cheers

alan

Chris

Alan, Langley models also have a range of N gauge plant and vehicles here

upnick

Hi  Alan,   

Try  dropping Alex a PM  as he has used some  GHQ   kits including the forklift i  believe  ;)

Heres a link  to his profile

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=profile;u=190

H

The GHQ forklifts are very nice models, well detailed and more realistic that alternative blobby white
metal versions. Compare it here below (on the right) with a common alternative (left) often seen on
layouts (and that I've tried to improve/detail with a seat and painting lights but still looks like an
oversized plastic kiddie car);

The thing with American prototypes is that they tend to be larger than UK equivalents so when made
to the smaller 1:160 scale are nearer what we normally expect. Also if you use it only where there is no
direct comparison it look fine - unlike with the buses which are British protptypes made too small, have
to fit in with other traffic and where they also have doors that just look far too small for British N gauge.

H.

Lawrence

Well if you don't want those Tomix fork lifts ...................... I'll send you my address  ;)

:smiley-laughing:

Alex

Hi,

I like the GHQ models but they are rather expensive. Will post some piccies when I get the chance. The power supply on my PC went belly up so I'm using a 6 year old laptop which is a tad on the slooooowwwww side.

Alex :wave:

Alex

Hi,

Finally got some piccies onto the laptop. They are similar to the one posted by H. Scale wise they ok together but I think you'll agree the GHQ truck (in green) looks more detailed than the Knightwing model. I could have cut off the thick roof canopy and supports and replaced them with some brass etch offcuts, but I didn't.

The knightwing truck is going to be placed at the Kraft factory at the end of the board about 2 feet in from the edge so it won't get a close inspection.

The GHQ model is at the front edge of the layout and will be visible for all to see.

Hope this helps.

Alex :wave:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations