new scam

Started by guest311, January 22, 2020, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

just a heads up that the TV licencing scam e-mails are around again.

wonder how many people get caught out by this one.

TrevL

Yes, I got one of those today, b******s!
Problem is, sadly, some poor soul will fall for this.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Dorsetmike

Not a scam as such but still worrying, I've twice had electricity supply companies  send me a letter saying with effect from -date- your direct debit will be increased from £50 to £185. I switched from the first company about a year ago then had the second occurence from the new supplier. The price hike is an attempt to force one to supply meter readings

My electricity meter is not in the flat, it's in a locked room with meters for about 20 other flats, the key is held by the house manager; due to mobility problems I have difficulty in walking twice the length of the building to get the key, go to the meter room get up on a step stool read the meter, return the key and return to my flat. (building has 65 retirement flats so total walk for mewould be about 400M+)

I found that the  Citizens advide bureau have a section dealing with power supply problems, within 24 hours they had the electricity company add me to a Priority service which means they have to read my meter every 3 months, and my billing will not jump to £185.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dannyboy

Well done Mike. It is amazing what can happen when you talk to the right people.   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

"Are you being troubled by nuisance calls?"

my response is usually, if I'm in a good mood

'no, I take no notice of them'

if I'm in a bad mood it's

' no, I just tell them to  :censored:, and I feel much better'

>:D

Bigmac

i unplugged my landline phone last year.  all i ever got were phoney! calls from "talk talk " telling my my internet was going to be cut off.  i just use my mobile now.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Rishtonite

I had a text to my mobile a few days ago, basically saying they can't process my last payment and to update my billing info. This was (supposedly) from EE. I'm with Tesco, and anyway the url in the text was dodgy.

I often report scam calls or texts on https://who-called.co.uk/ so if you get a call that sounds dodgy you can see if anybody has already reported that number.
I'm retired, but my brother thinks it's spelt retarded :-)

Bob Tidbury

There is a new TESCO scam going round as well a guy rings to say he is giving away Tesco vouchers to certain house in your area .I just told him we don't shop at Tesco's so not interested .
Bob Tidbury

Trainfish

I had 3 calls a few weeks ago from someone who wanted to review my pension arrangements I think. I blocked his calls but he somehow managed to leave a voicemail. Now, if someone can tell me how to transfer that voicemail to a PC I'll put it on here. I guarantee you will either be shocked or amused by the content.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob Tidbury

We've just had three calls from different numbers within the space of ten minutes saying that my sons Amazon Prime account needs to be renewed again another scam .
My son has now blocked all three numbers ,
Bob Tidbiry

Snowwolflair

This is not a scam, but possibly an opportunity  :goggleeyes:

Las Iguanas restaurant chain are emailing this to customers.

Might be eating South American this weekend  :D

dannyboy

Beware -the above post is obviously a scam - the poster even got the name wrong!  ;D

Addit: The post by Snowwolflair got in the way - I am of course referring to reply #40
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations