AMR hand held controllers - possible issue

Started by Newportnobby, January 04, 2024, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Every now and then I take some stock to the club night to run, and have noticed some locos, particularly, the newer ones like the class 28, class128 and 56xx tend to run jerkily on the layout. The next day I set up my test oval with my trusty old Farish controller (from a train set) and they run perfick :confused1:
That does put my mind at rest but is anyone aware of issues with the AMR controller below as I don't want to damage my locos in any way :worried:

PLD

IIRC Mick, those are feedback controllers aren't they? (though I've not seen that variant with an extra switch on the side before - does it switch the feedback loop in/out like the push button on the KPC controllers?)

In general feedback is not a good thing with modern motors - it does risk damage to coreless motors and other do run less smoothly with it...

Nbodger

The AMR controllers are feedback type and the switch normally on one end was to switch feedback off or reduce it (two options)

I have two in a cupboard in the shed.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Ah yeah. Would explain the side switch. Modifications by the club.  :-[

ntpntpntp

Yup, I had a pair of AMRs back in the 80s.   They were replaced with KPCs with switchable feedback by the mid 90s.    I still have them but I agree certain more modern locos (Kato most noticeably) are really jerky on them so they're consigned to the back of a draw. They're ok with older Hornby 00 models.   

The KPCs generally are still fine but mostly used with the feedback switched off nowadays.

I've been most impressed with the Kato SX controller that came with a set I bought on ebay. That's giving really smooth control of everything I've tried so far on a test track.  A hand-held version of the SX would be something I'd consider buying.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

I only joined the club a couple of months ago and me suggesting such alterations at this point would maybe not go down very well. They're very defensive about the layout.
Typical - I wanted to showcase some unusual stock like the EFE class 17, Sonic 56xx, Rapido class 28 and RevolutioN class 128 and they suffered the most so won't be taken again.
Seems Farish and Dapol are OK but I'll have to monitor them carefully in future

Bealman

Exactly the same experience here! Everything runs perfectly off that Kato controller!

ntpntpntp

@Newportnobby   given the AMRs are plug-in, couldn't you take one of your own controllers along to plug in and demonstrate? Just need to be sure which way the club have wired the controllers to the DIN plugs. Even if you took your own power supply and only wired the track outputs to the DIN plug.

I keep a spare DIN plug in my show toolbox with just the track wires connected, just in case. It also works as the track feed for running my layout on DCC if I feel like doing so :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Without knowing what lies behind the plug ins I wouldn't want to risk more of my own kit.
It's not a problem now I know about it. I'll just take older stuff in future

Steven B

Take a circle of Unitrack and a more modern controller next time you go - will allow you to demonstrate the models and the difference a decent controller can make.

Steven B.

PLD

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 05, 2024, 09:52:11 AM@Newportnobby   given the AMRs are plug-in, couldn't you take one of your own controllers along to plug in and demonstrate? Just need to be sure which way the club have wired the controllers to the DIN plugs.
Was about to suggest the same - particularly with HH controllers, everyone will have their own preference, so as long as they are wired the same, it's easy to swap over.
All it needs is to know which two terminals are the 16v AC input and which two are the track output and wire your plug accordingly - anything else beyond that shouldn't matter...

Ed

You ought to raise it as a possible problem @Newportnobby, just in case someone else's loco does get damaged.

Loco's ain't cheap and I doubt the club has any insurance to cover members rolling stock.

Ed

Newportnobby

I'll raise it at next week's meeting, Ed, but from what I've seen no one else in the N gauge section has anything remotely modern!! That's why I took some 'out of the norm' things along
Anything I've taken by Farish or Dapol has been fine.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations