Got into a pickle with couplers

Started by keiron99, January 02, 2024, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keiron99

I'm back in the hobby after 40 years and have just made a mistake.

I bought a dozen or so pre-owned (but never used) Atlas and Micro trains Line wagons online. Very nice they are too.

However, I had not appreciated that the couplers on the models were not compatible.

The Atlas wagons have chunky, square, old-school couplers whereas the Micro Trains Line have delicate ones with, I believe a magnetic feature (Mage Magnetic I think they are called; some boxes have an info sheet in about them).

Also of note is The Micro Trains couples to my Kato loco, the Atlas do not.

Is there any way I can convert the Atlas couplers to Micro trains? What is the easiest and most cost-effective way? I have looked on various retailer websites and I'm overwhelmed by the jargon and choice!

I have a feeling it may be more cost effective to write off the Atlas wagons...

Any help would be appreciated!

tunneroner61

The Atlas wagons will have Rapido couplings as is standard in the UK and Europe. The Microtrains wagons will have their knuckle couplings which can be uncoupled magnetically.
Probably the easiest way is to replace the trucks completely (bogies in UK parlance) on the Atlas wagons with a compatible unit from the Microtrains range, which will be fitted with their knuckle coupler.

Bingley Hall

Yep, the simple way is to buy bulk packs of MT bogies - as a general rule 'Archbar' for older transition stuff, and 'Barber' for more modern stuff. They can be bought in bulk packs of 10 pairs, though they are not cheap these days.

However before I get shot down by rivet counters, you are correct in saying that the choice is overwhelming and there are quite a few variants, and just wait until they corner you on 33" vs 36" wheels.

A cheaper, but more time consuming, way of doing things is snipping the Rapido coupler off and body mounting MT couplers, which come in assembled and unassembled bulk packs. There are a mind numbing variety of these though that I've never really been able to come to terms with.

Of course the super cheap version is to convert one end of one Atlas car to MT couplers by swapping a couple of bogies and run that mid rake. I've done this using a fairly generic boxcar in the past. Those of us old enough will remember that in OO, Triang produced a 'converter wagon' when they took over Hornby many years ago with the each companies proprietary coupler at either end.

keiron99

Thanks. Just converting one does sound like a good option.

The array of different options from Micro Trains is indeed mind boggling, and at first glance doesn't seem to make economic sense.

keiron99

Poking around the used sections of retailers' websites, I'd be better off buying the lowest priced pre-owned Micro Trains wagons I can find - would the trucks from them snap onto the Atlas wagons or would I need another part? (The Atlas trucks are a push fit over a plastic "rivet".)

tunneroner61

It's been a long time since I swopped all my Atlas trucks for Microtrains but I don't remember having any problems.

You could of course sell the Atlas wagons and buy some Microtrains ones to replace them?

Ben A

Quote from: keiron99 on January 02, 2024, 03:25:37 PMThe array of different options from Micro Trains is indeed mind boggling, and at first glance doesn't seem to make economic sense.

Hi there,

The first N-scale models had the big chunky square coupler designed by German firm Arnold and named 'Rapido'. (Note: these are nothing to do with the Canadian model RR maker Rapido Trains.) 

It worked pretty well at keeping trains together, and Arnold deliberately did not file a patent so it was adopted universally pretty quickly.

Then in the 1980s (I think) the Kadee firm created N-scale versions of its successful HO buckeye-style couplers.  These were an advance because (1) they looked more like real couplers and (2) they allowed for remote magnetic uncoupling and spotting.

These were marketed under the Micro-trains brand, and were patent-protected, so it was very economically sensible for Microtrains to produce trucks and couplers to suit as many variations of freight car as possible, and to licence them for use by other manufacturers, so very quickly they became the US go-to design.

In Europe we are still predominantly using Rapido couplers, but slowly buckeye designs, with magnetic uncoupling, are becoming more popular.

cheers

Ben A.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: keiron99 on January 02, 2024, 03:55:13 PMPoking around the used sections of retailers' websites, I'd be better off buying the lowest priced pre-owned Micro Trains wagons I can find - would the trucks from them snap onto the Atlas wagons or would I need another part? (The Atlas trucks are a push fit over a plastic "rivet".)
Generally no major problems, I've fitted MT bogies to plenty of older Atlas wagons. I think a small washer between bogie and wagon can improve the ride sometimes.

Webbo

If you're not overly concerned with prototypical accuracy, I would buy yourself a 10-Pack of MT Barber trucks (roller bearing). Generally these would be accurate for most rolling stock of up to 70T gross weight up until close to the present day. Forty foot boxcars prior to the fifties or so would have been more likely to use Bettendorf trucks (friction bearing). The truth is that unless you're looking closely at the trucks you wouldn't notice the difference.

Webbo

keiron99

Quote from: Webbo on January 03, 2024, 09:26:39 AMIf you're not overly concerned with prototypical accuracy, I would buy yourself a 10-Pack of MT Barber trucks (roller bearing).

Thanks, but that's about £75 for a pack of 10  :o  The wagons themselves only cost about £5 or £6 each!

keiron99

On the same theme, and apologies for the naivety of the question, when would one use long shank couplers as opposed to medium or short? Is it to do with coaches/wagons catching on tight curves? How would one know which to buy?

keiron99

I have spotted these on ebay; "12pcs N Gauge 1:150 Roller Bearing Truck Coupler 33" Plastic Wheels Screw Washer" which would appear to be a (much) lower cost alternative to Micro Trains (who knows, maybe even the same product from the same production line):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355088317852?hash=item52ace9bd9c:g:6qYAAOSwibxjlpBC

Anyone any experience of them? I may just take a punt.

Webbo

Yes, certainly worth a punt to get your rapido rolling stock operational. The 1:150 scale is used by some Japanese modellers, but it is close enough to 1:160 that I would not think you'd notice the difference.

The £75 for a 10-pack of MT couplers is extraordinary. Mind you, Fifer Hobbies sells such for the equivalent of £50, but I suppose by the time you pay postage and possible customs costs, the price would be somewhat higher.

Webbo

keiron99

I got the cheapo trucks from ebay. I cannot recommend them.

The wheels don't spin properly on some, and the magnets don't respond to the Kato magnetic uncoupling track I have.

They just lack finesse all round.

Newportnobby

Quote from: keiron99 on January 03, 2024, 03:37:16 PMOn the same theme, and apologies for the naivety of the question, when would one use long shank couplers as opposed to medium or short? Is it to do with coaches/wagons catching on tight curves? How would one know which to buy?

'Fraid it comes down to pure experimentation. Personally I hate long shank couplings as I like to get my stock as close coupled as my trackwork allows. Best is short/short but sometimes short/medium to avoid 'buffer locking' on curves. It's not just the trackwork, though. A lot depends on the stock itself. Beg, steal or buy some and have a play (maybe not the middle option :no: )

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations