Building the Panama Canal

Started by Papyrus, June 12, 2020, 06:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I stumbled across this video while looking for something almost entirely different (as you do...)

It is quite the most terrifying film I have seen in a long time - a real vision of Hell! No wonder so many labourers died.

From a railway perspective, I'd be interested to know why the wagons carrying the spoil away only had one side. The locos will be of interest to those modelling American outline.

Cheers,

Chris

stevewalker

I presume that the wagons need one side to stop the spoil falling off as it is emptied from the steam shovel onto the wagon, but the omitted the other side as it would get in the way of loading (and soon be knocked off). Also, maybe the missing side was a requirement for unloading.

jpendle

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.  :D

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Papyrus

Quote from: stevewalker on June 12, 2020, 07:19:18 PM
I presume that the wagons need one side to stop the spoil falling off as it is emptied from the steam shovel onto the wagon, but the omitted the other side as it would get in the way of loading (and soon be knocked off). Also, maybe the missing side was a requirement for unloading.

Yes, that was the only explanation I could come up with.

Chris

PGN

Quote from: jpendle on June 12, 2020, 08:47:24 PM
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama. 

My favourite palindromic sentence ... although I have it with slightly different punctuation (a colon instead of the third comma).

Closely followed by the first sentence ever uttered by man:

"Madam, I'm Adam"
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations