Total Long Shot - Calling bathroom sales/fitters

Started by Newportnobby, March 12, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I don't know if anyone can help me but about 18 months ago the shower duckboard started to slowly disintegrate. It is what they call a half moon shape and was originally part of the Aqualux Mist range. Astralux have proved absolutely useless as they have no stocks of this discontinued range and were more concerned with me having an accident in the shower. Maybe they thought I would sue the blighters :D
Here's a pic of the item itself with measurements - scouring the interweb has found me zilch. Said duckboard now has large holes in one half of it which means I can only use the back half and, living off savings, I just can't afford a complete new shower tray/cubicle etc.

[smg id=10891]

If there is such a thing as waterproof wood (tannellised timber??) maybe I can find someone to make me one. The colour is unimportant but size and shape are, I believe quite critical to avoid undue stress on the shower tray itself.

Your mission, Jim, should you decide to accept it.......................(this duckboard will self destruct very quickly ::))

Caz

It is the sort of thing you often see in showers on boats, maybe a boat yard, sea, river or canal yard might be able to help.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

edwin_m

I would have thought a decent joiner would be able to make you one without much problem. 

Malc

Teak or iroco would do it. Available from your local wood-yard.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

:goggleeyes:

??? First time I've ever seen such a thing!! So that's the floor of the shower, is it? Ok....  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silverfox

Hi Newportnobby,

I'm a Bathroom showroom manager and most of the manufacturers we've dealt with that make Duckboards have discontinued them for the very reasons you're experiencing. They just don't last!

In many cases they were an optional extra and when they eventually failed were never replaced by the customer. They would just carry on using the tray without it.

If you can't live without one then Whiteswan is right on the money. We have usually steered customers toward an old fashioned boat yard and teak would be the material of choice. The trouble is that anything nautical trebles the price. You could try the internet for a bespoke garden furniture manufacturer as this wouldn't be a difficult task for them and is likely to be cheaper.

If the Duckboard was desirable for its anti-slip qualities you can now get a very effective Anti slip covering that is rollered onto the tray which is very effective and longlasting.

Feel free to pm me if I can help any more

Regards

Jason

AndyGif

Newportnobby

Thanks for all the replies so far, and the link to EBay.
I was told by Astralux (the original purveyor of this range) that if I use a smaller duckboard (and they are available as I've seen one today), it may put stress on a wrong area of the tray itself thus leading to possible fracture of the tray :o
It looks like a carpenter job is on the cards, although TBH if someone who is good with 3D resins could make me one I'll happily go with that :D
More news as it comes off the teleprinter..................

scotsoft

Could you not lift the duckboard, turn it upside down, draw round the outside to give you the shape and mark off where the support slats are.

Then get a piece of plywood and jigsaw out the shape.

Then drill lots of holes through the plywood, attach the support slats, use a few coats of yacht varnish to seal the whole thing and you now have a new duckboard for your shower.

Simple  :D

Newportnobby

Just had a call from Elite Plumbing & Heating Supplies in Chorley. Popped in there today on the off chance and they were helpful beyond belief. Checked around their contacts and then called me at home as promised. I asked them to verify the dimensions and they called me back within 10 minutes. I should get the item in the next 2-3 days.
Wonderful service :claphappy:

Bealman

I guess you can't have a shower for 3 days, then. Porr!  :poop: ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

Standard preparation for the next model railway show then ;)

Paul

davieb

Quote from: Sprintex on March 13, 2014, 10:17:48 PM

Paul

And I happen to know he attending 2 this weekend :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Sprintex on March 13, 2014, 10:17:48 PM

Paul

That started last Sunday after my return from the Macclesfield show >:D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations