Wish List Poll Results

Started by Graham Walters, November 18, 2016, 09:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

Quote from: njee20 on November 19, 2016, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: RST on November 18, 2016, 09:02:44 PM
Maybe my bad -I didn't read the instructions beforehand -thought I could look first :doh:  I was a bit surprised how much steam era was on it -but shouldn't really have been thinking about it.

Rich

It's only for products that haven't been produced recently, rather than things that are forthcoming or another run is needed. Hence no JGAs or DBSOs.  There is certainly huge amounts of steam stuff on there, but I guess there are more obscure steam locos than there are modern diesels.

I couldn't identify half of the products in the top 50 frankly! I think voter numbers are sufficiently small for it not to mean very much too! OO has far more votes, and I'd have thought would carry more weight.

Very pleased not to see the 92 on there this year, for all the right reasons!

In fairness, the OO poll attracted 2473 voters, the N gauge attracted 552.

It's generally been accepted that N has quite a bit less than 20% of the market that OO has in the UK. 20% of 2473 is 494.

So I don't think the turnout is as insignificant as it perhaps appears.

red_death

Hi Scott

You are right about as a % of OO voters, but what is disappointing for both scales and particularly for N is the small number of the total market that votes. Certainly for the N wishlists it gives you a flavour of what might sell, but it doesn't give you sufficient confidence to produce X/Y/Z.

Perhaps we expect too much from it, on the other hand I get the feeling that the Wishlist Poll could do with better interaction with N gauge modellers (both in setting up the poll and in terms of "advertising" it eg in the Journal).

Cheers, Mike

njee20

Yes, that was my point, not necessarily that it's not proportional to the market, but the segment reached is tiny. Even a very open minded and forward thinking organisation like RevolutioN aren't going to go ahead with a product on the back of 57 expressions of interest!

Seems a shame. There's obviously a lot of work goes into it, but then I wonder if it's almost too big, I only voted on a couple of pages.

Newportnobby

There's usually a silent majority in anything. This forum has nigh on 5000 members but I'd say only 5% post/participate on a regular basis :hmmm:

red_death

Quote from: njee20 on November 21, 2016, 11:25:05 AM
Even a very open minded and forward thinking organisation like RevolutioN aren't going to go ahead with a product on the back of 57 expressions of interest!

Or will we?!?

njee20

Quote from: red_death on November 21, 2016, 11:43:20 AM
Even a very open minded and forward thinking organisation like RevolutioN aren't going to go ahead with a product on the back of 57 expressions of interest!

Or will we?!?

Haha! I'll be honest I hope not, for the longevity of the business and all he products you keep making that I want!

BlythStationLad

I'm puzzled: the NER/LNER J26/J27 came 21st in the OO poll results yet us N Gaugers didn't have the option to vote for that loco (unless I missed it on two full checks?). Was there an oversight?

emjaybee

Or will we?!?

I like your attitude!

I'll have both of the "twins" please both in original LMS livery. Let me know when you want a deposit.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

acko22

Or will we?!?

Ha ha teasing Mike, that's just cruel even if it is fun!

There is the one factor even before taking percentages and numbers WISH LIST been exactly that I could have ticked so much more on it myself but I hold off as to what I would reasonably run without going extreme rule one.
But also as the name suggests its a wish not what you can and would pay for if it came available, while I have no doubt the majority would pay for an item they selected on the poll there would be a number that just couldn't for x/y/z reason, this can sway the numbers and give an slightly construed reflection.

I am sure we will all agree these polls are a rough guide for manufacturers and they still have the hard work of really seeing if the number add up to go for some of these models. Although things like the APT, well I doubt they will be seen anytime soon as they are extremely niche and well getting the number to add up would need an upsurge in N gauge modellers either modelling the required eras or in general to the hobby to reach the orders required.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

BlythStationLad

I understand that the UK market size in N is about 1/3rd that of OO but probably increasing.

As a separate comment, are the people at Revoltion Trains open to potential models of steam era items? If so can I proffer the NER/LNER G5 0-4-4T? A decent chassis is currently not available in N and a new build at 12":1' is well underway.

I'll pop to the Revolution stand at Warley in hope... 

red_death

Quote from: BlythStationLad on November 21, 2016, 12:36:25 PM
As a separate comment, are the people at Revoltion Trains open to potential models of steam era items? If so can I proffer the NER/LNER G5 0-4-4T? A decent chassis is currently not available in N and a new build at 12":1' is well underway.

Yes, but the same criteria apply as to any project (described in more detail elsewhere on this forum) ie that we have to be confident that there is a market to sell 1000 and that we can technically design and produce it*.

* I include this caveat as it is no secret that Ben and I are not massively knowledgeable about steam locos or how to design models of them (though to be fair the G5 looks simpler than most in terms of valve gear etc).

The initial challenge is always the same ie demonstrate that there is a market for it. Or at least demonstrate that there is enough interest to do some more detailed research on the prototype and launch a proper PR/marketing exercise to establish expressions of interest.

Cheers, Mike

njee20

Quote from: BlythStationLad on November 21, 2016, 12:18:49 PM
I'm puzzled: the NER/LNER J26/J27 came 21st in the OO poll results yet us N Gaugers didn't have the option to vote for that loco (unless I missed it on two full checks?). Was there an oversight?

Google suggests Union Mills do/did them.

GrahamB

Quote from: njee20 on November 21, 2016, 12:49:56 PM
Quote from: BlythStationLad on November 21, 2016, 12:18:49 PM

Google suggests Union Mills do/did them.
LNER J26/J27 available from Union Mills. £69.00 plus P&P. They're on his list that he supplied along with my Dukedog so should be currently available.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

D1042 Western Princess

High on my 'wish list' right now are a Class 41 Warship, DMUs finished with a 'W' prefix and a blue PRE TOPS Class 33 (finished as a D65XX).
Given the last two items already exist, albeit with the wrong numbers on the side, and renumbering myself is not an option (I just couldn't do it to modern rtr standards) it doesn't seem much to ask.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

njee20

Plenty of places/people could renumber for you? probably a better/quicker solution than waiting for RTR. 

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations