Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Just a query, (to add to the list), when a member was tagged in the old system, their name was in blue. In the new system, it all seems to be the same colour and I have been tagged in at least one post but not received a notification. As I said earlier, I appreciate that there will be teething problems, so I am not complaining. Do we have an idea yet of what is required for forum funds? @Tank
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Tank

Thanks for all of the kind words, and the amazing donations.  I'm waiting for the next bill to come in from NGF Tech this afternoon.  :uneasy:

JB has done an incredible job, and it has been a nightmare to sort all of this out.  Massive thanks to him! :beers:

Quote from: Papyrus on July 21, 2023, 10:22:16 AMPS. I do miss the signals down the left-hand side though...

Yes, I feel exactly the same, and I will put those back on here when I get home.  Unless JB beats me to it! 

Lots of settings to change, and also to figure out what is missing.  Some modifications that we had previously need the author of them to update them, before being able to use them on here.

emjaybee

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2023, 10:00:42 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on July 21, 2023, 09:07:07 AMSerious question...

...in the list of 'Unread Posts', there's no 'button' on the far right side to take you to the last post in the thread.

As said by Steven B, you can either click the NEW graphic on the Unread Posts page, to take you to the first new post for the user, or, you can click on the far right hand side where it might say "Today at 09:59:03 by Tank", which will take you to the last post of that topic.

Got it, thanks Chris.
I reckon I was hitting the 'name' which was taking me to the profile. I hadn't realised the post date/time was a link, or that the 'NEW' flag at the front was either.

We're getting there.

Thanks.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Tank

Quote from: dannyboy on July 21, 2023, 11:01:36 AMJust a query, (to add to the list), when a member was tagged in the old system, their name was in blue. In the new system, it all seems to be the same colour and I have been tagged in at least one post but not received a notification. As I said earlier, I appreciate that there will be teething problems, so I am not complaining. Do we have an idea yet of what is required for forum funds? @Tank

I turned the Mentions modification back on about 10 minutes ago, so it should be working.  I see that I haven't had a notification from your message above.  :hmmm:  I'll check the settings.  @dannyboy Tagged to see if you get one.  :D

dannyboy

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2023, 11:04:56 AMI turned the Mentions modification back on about 10 minutes ago, so it should be working.  I see that I haven't had a notification from your message above.  :hmmm:  I'll check the settings.  @dannyboy Tagged to see if you get one.  :D

No notification received @Tank
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Papyrus

Is it just me, or is the Forum working faster than it used to? I never thought it was particularly slow before, but now I seem to be able to whizz around like a greyhound on a skateboard.

Cheers,

Chris

NGFTech

Hey folks, you all have an awesome Admin willing to do whatever it takes to get you the best so with some patience all things will be worked out. The old design was not mobile friendly, but this one is, so the layout is different for someone used to doing things in one fashion before. It is like driving an old car and then suddenly getting a new one -- you start trying to figure out what button does what or missing a past feature your old car had before that the new one doesn't. Sometimes, it is not that the feature isn't there it is just in a different location.

As for speed - here will be like lightning compared to the last server.

Dorsetmike

I'd like to see "Unread posts" and similar navigation items at the top of the opening page. It's going to take me a while to get used to it; of 5 forums I used to visit regularly this is the third to "upgrade" two I could not get used to, a fourth one closed and one of the members opened up a new one which most members have migrated to.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2023, 10:01:36 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on July 21, 2023, 09:50:17 AMHaving paid a suitable bribe to 'Der Management'

Well, that secret didn't last long.   :-X  ;D

What you refer to is a completely different thing, Chris @Tank The above was just a crack at David's expense :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2023, 10:17:48 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on July 21, 2023, 09:50:17 AMI miss the 'rating' system

That should now be working again. :thumbsup:

Yep - sorted  - thanks.
I may be missing something but I can quote a post but can't see a way to 'insert a quote'
I'd like to see the most frequently used items made more prominent or highlighted colourwise perhaps e.g.
Unread posts
Mark these posts as read
'Post' at the end of a post but, then again, I hardly ever use 'Preview' as I read things through afore hitting the 'Post' button
Maybe I'm wrong but I just tried to both 'Like' a post and rate it as funny but as soon as I'd 'Liked' it all the emojis vanished so I was unable to then 'Laugh'
Sorry, but I'd like the 'Log Out' back on the main toolbar (Just my preference)

Railwaygun

Quote from: geofff on July 21, 2023, 10:58:32 AMWell done to all concerned. Who pays for the upgrades and on-going maintenance to the site as there is obviously a cost to someone?

Use the donations button ( top, right) to help pay for the upgrades - as for the blood , sweat and tears - send a virtual pint!!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

NGFTech

This is to show mentions are working @Railwaygun @Newportnobby etc

Donation button randomly appears in the footer until we can figure out a good place to put it.

BUT there is a Donations button in the top menu.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 21, 2023, 12:53:34 PMI'd like to see "Unread posts" and similar navigation items at the top of the opening page.

It is, as I posted earlier.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: NGFTech on July 21, 2023, 01:48:37 PMThis is to show mentions are working @Railwaygun @Newportnobby etc

:no:
If the tags are working then I fear my 'Notifications' have changed as I always used to get a PM to say I'd been tagged

Papyrus

Mick,

I've found this under my profile (top left of screen, drop-down menu):

[img]https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/133/2975-210723162248.png[img]

You may need to tick 'Receive email' to get your notifications.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations